SL2-S And landscape

fbonde

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 13.1.2022 um 09:11 schrieb fbonde:

Exactly my situation. I have 2 Gitzos and i almost never use them, since the SL2 has a good image stabilization. I can do 1/60 5.6 or f8 and still fantastic pictures. I use SL 16-35, SL 50 1.4 and SL 90-280. I have tried to avoid multishot for the same reason as you. I don't want to bring a tripod with me. 

My thoughts on the SL2-S is that i could use it during the sundown or early mornings. That's where i have to bump up the iso on the SL2, and honestly (this is my opinion) after 1600, I can see noise very clear.  I usually also use the M10-R with SEM 21mm i can easily do 3200 without any problem.

I still think the 24MP sensor on my M10-P is best with 21mm lux and 35mm FLE, i think i'm romanticising a bit now right now. And the 28mm lux is 90% on the M10-R thats a match made in heaven. 

Anyway, i think i'll get a SL2-S and try it our in these circumstances. 

Dont you feel the 28 lux on m10 r shows a little too much vignetting?

20 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Dont you feel the 28 lux on m10 r shows a little too much vignetting?

Actually not. I really thinks it's the perfect match for the R. The 21 lux is a nightmare with vegnetting on the R, but almost perfect on the P. Just my experience. (we are only talking fully open)

On 1/14/2022 at 2:47 PM, HighlandLeica said:

Thanks for this thread - very interesting and informative for me as I am weighing up the SL2 vs SL2s models. I am leaning towards the SL2 s for obvious reasons re price and the 24-70 lens deal and its high ISO performance etc, newer sensor. But, as usual, the nagging voice in the head is saying  ' you need more than 24-mp'. My head says I don't because even with enlargements, 24Mp prints scale up with excellent resolution.

I was watching an excellent video on the Leica Academy Australia YouTube channel by the excellent Nick Rains, about the SL2s.

A landscape photographer he referred to in the presentation,  whose name escapes me, apparently often prints enlargements at just 180 pixels per inch rather than the 250, 300ppi standard we all have drummed into our heads. And that helps him produce very large A1-plus sized prints that according to Rains exhibit fantastic levels of definition. 

So, with that in mind, the fact that my now old M (240) produces fantastic enlargements at 24mp, along with the Multi-shot mode in the SL2s and the often overlooked Super Resolution feature in PS and LR (which works when I have used it), the need for 47, 60mp is diminished. And I do want a camera that shoots better at high ISO than my M, so the SL2s seems like the right one. I just need someone here to say - "yes, you're right!  Get one!" to stave off the buyer's remorse. I have yet to read a bad word about the SL2s other than its limitations if one likes to crop a great deal - which I generally don't beyond simple adjustments. 

I really dont think there is any negative about the SL2-S quite the contrary. In fact I ended up getting one, it's a perfect match for the SL2. Maybe it's an overkill, but heck, it challenge me to finally get ind to video haha. I do still thinks that the render and the colors it's a bit better on the SL2-S out of the camera. Nothing you can't re-do post on the SL2 files. But most importantly, I think for landscape and for ME, i fell the SL2 keep more details  

Then the Multi-shot, that require a tripod, and honestly i almost never carey one with me. So yeah the possibility is there, but for everyday use, its not working for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, robb said:

I think it mainly boils down to if you plan to print and if so how large.  Also if you plan to crop or avoid tripods… :)

Those mainly drive your selection.

Robb

Image stabilization is great but sometimes a  good tripod is still an advantage, not for avoiding blurred / shaky images, but for framing your picture with precision. If you want to line up a vertical line in the subject  with the edge of the frame in your viewfinder it can be quite tricky hand held, even more so with any lens over 70mm. That's why I bought a small travel tripod even though I have IBIS in camera.You can pick one up for not much more than the price of a Leica battery so it's worth having one in your kit.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:47 AM, HighlandLeica said:

Thanks for this thread - very interesting and informative for me as I am weighing up the SL2 vs SL2s models. I am leaning towards the SL2 s for obvious reasons re price and the 24-70 lens deal and its high ISO performance etc, newer sensor. But, as usual, the nagging voice in the head is saying  ' you need more than 24-mp'. My head says I don't because even with enlargements, 24Mp prints scale up with excellent resolution.

I was watching an excellent video on the Leica Academy Australia YouTube channel by the excellent Nick Rains, about the SL2s.

A landscape photographer he referred to in the presentation,  whose name escapes me, apparently often prints enlargements at just 180 pixels per inch rather than the 250, 300ppi standard we all have drummed into our heads. And that helps him produce very large A1-plus sized prints that according to Rains exhibit fantastic levels of definition. 

So, with that in mind, the fact that my now old M (240) produces fantastic enlargements at 24mp, along with the Multi-shot mode in the SL2s and the often overlooked Super Resolution feature in PS and LR (which works when I have used it), the need for 47, 60mp is diminished. And I do want a camera that shoots better at high ISO than my M, so the SL2s seems like the right one. I just need someone here to say - "yes, you're right!  Get one!" to stave off the buyer's remorse. I have yet to read a bad word about the SL2s other than its limitations if one likes to crop a great deal - which I generally don't beyond simple adjustments. 

You’re right! Get one! All kidding aside, you may never resolve this particular conflict. I got the SL2S and often wonder if I would have preferred the SL2. Even if you get both, then the SL3 will come out ;) I think that you can print enormous pictures at 24 MB, so unless you need to extract the most detail possible, the SL2S is pretty darn nice! If you ever plan to use a TL lens on the SL, then that should push you towards the SL2, because the files with the crop factor are still rather large. Enjoy your pick whichever way you go! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, HighlandLeica said:

I notice from the SL2-S image thread that you got the SL2-S. Great! It's an excellent camera. Its high ISO output is fantastic, I've taken images of Leopards & Owls at night using ISO25, 000, never ventured anywhere near this before.  I have both he SL2 & SL2-S,  SL2 mainly for birding where I find I often have to crop closer in despite using +600mm tele lenses. 

As for printing, I've recently printed 24 of my best images for a wildlife exhibition, several images were taken years ago with the M8 & 24MP cameras -Sony 850 & more recently the SL2-S. Some images have been printed up to 2m X 1m with no loss of res. whatsoever.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, michali said:

I notice from the SL2-S image thread that you got the SL2-S. Great! It's an excellent camera. Its high ISO output is fantastic, I've taken images of Leopards & Owls at night using ISO25, 000, never ventured anywhere near this before.  I have both he SL2 & SL2-S,  SL2 mainly for birding where I find I often have to crop closer in despite using +600mm tele lenses. 

As for printing, I've recently printed 24 of my best images for a wildlife exhibition, several images were taken years ago with the M8 & 24MP cameras -Sony 850 & more recently the SL2-S. Some images have been printed up to 2m X 1m with no loss of res. whatsoever.

Thanks for your very encouraging comments and advice. Wow - what beautiful images from the camera in the prints you show. Love the mono format for wildlife - not a style explored enough in my view. Beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, Cattoo said:

It's a fantastic camera.   I have both the SL2 and SL2-S.  I tend to use the latter for low light photos (sunrise or sunset) and bird shots.  Here's a pic I took a couple months ago in Acadia National Park.  I do like the colors more than what the SL2 gives me.  They seem richer somehow.  

SL2-S at 1/30 sec at f/16, ISO 200, 16mm on Super Vario Elmar-SL 16-35mm

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up my new SL2-S today, partly as a result of this thread.  I do a lot of landscape but that is not enough to "need" more pixels (I have a Hasselblad 907x for that) so wanted a versatile camera that can use M lenses for travel to keep the bulk down.

• Like 4

And based on my experience with M9, M lenses and 18 MP,  the SL2-S with 24MP should be adequate for landscapes.

M9 with 35mm Summicron

Edited by Sailronin
  • Like 9