Leica Visoflex 2

trequartista

44 minutes ago, Stef63 said:

I don’t get the backwards compatibility story here.  Wouldn’t it have made more sense to make the M11 also compatible with the Visoflex 020 - albeit with less resolution than the new Visoflex 2 - than the other way around like Leica decide now?

1) For those people migrating from a M10 to an M11 who only sometimes use an EVF but have invested in the old 020 it would have been nice if they could keep the older model and use it on their new camera… and only migrate to the new EVF is their is a need for.

2) On the other hand if the newer EVF is downscaled to the same resolution on an M10 (whatever model) camera like the old 020 what is the benefit of acquiring the new EVF? I might miss it but I do not see it.

My guess is that from a user and owner perspective 1) is more beneficial than 2)

Well, of course selling a new EVF for a higher price makes more sense for the company. For the same reason they brought the M11 to the market and didn't stick to the M10 in its different versions

Technically I assume that the Visoflex 020 is not able to handle the amount of data from the M11 sensor. The 020  already has problems If you use it with the M10-R or M10 Monochrom. 

Edited by UliWer

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

The best news from today is that it finally works with mounted thumb support.

That would be on the verge of impossible.
It just does not protrude down that much, maybe that is what you meant. The hot shoe of the camera has to be free from the thumb rest for the Visoflex to mount & join contacts. I had to remove the thumb rest to put the Visoflex on my M10-R today when checking for ergonomics (not working together yet).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

It just does not protrude down that much, maybe that is what you meant. The hot shoe of the camera has to be free from the thumb rest for the Visoflex to mount & join contacts. I had to remove the thumb rest to put the Visoflex on my M10-R today when checking for ergonomics (not working together yet).

Does it work with the M10 without the firmware update?

Edited by rramesh

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Imho as much as I like the back of the new visoflex 2 the front looks less appealing.

They could of at least made the front a seamless unified look ( similar to the previous) rather than you can see where it's been put together. I was really hoping the deisgn compliment the body aesthetic. Nitpicking I know but assuming one will have to live with it for the next 4+ years...

I wonder if they'll ever make a brass version of the visoflex which will wear nicely over time

Edited by cboy

During the field test, I had the chance to "play" with the new Visoflex2. Just amazing! Resolution, stabilization, rendering! Cleary a "must have" and helpful complement to the rangefinder for tele and superwilde angle lenses. I used it mainly with the Apo75m which is not easy to focus (for me). 

Hopefully the backward compatibility with the M10 will be supported soon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Hm, maybe they should also offer a Visoflex in BP so the paint can wear off, it ages well and it doesn't look as much as a foreign body any more over time. They could also make a revolutionary a la carte top-plate with that thing built in (SL-like) which would be quite stealthy. Otherwise, love the new design.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UliWer said:

... The 020  already has problems If you use it with the M10-R or M10 Monochrom. 

Hi Uli, What are the issues with the M10R/M? I havent detected any. 

With it having the same resolution as the Typ.020, I may cancel my order and stick with the 020 - or pick up another for my TL2

10 minutes ago, MRJohn said:

Hm, maybe they should also offer a Visoflex in BP so the paint can wear off, it ages well and it doesn't look as much as a foreign body any more over time. They could also make a revolutionary a la carte top-plate with that thing built in (SL-like) which would be quite stealthy. Otherwise, love the new design.

You are forgetting all those safari, reporter & white Leicas. Such injustice for the owners.

• Like 1

The Visoflex 020 housing is of a poor quality. The plastics and the rubber is prone to cracking especially when used in the tropics. I like the idea of using metal for the Visoflex 2. It's however a bummer that the resolution seems to be downsized for the M10. 

Will only know with the new firmware, how good or bad it is for use on the M10 series.

Why does Leica use another 2 months to release a new firmware? Apple publishes new firmware on the day they release a new equipment.

Leica had enough time, and the firmware change is certainly not too extensive.

I will get my Visoflex 2 today - and can’t use it with my M10. And not until March I can tell how good it works.

3 minutes ago, Thomas_M10 said:

Why does Leica use another 2 months to release a new firmware? Apple publishes new firmware on the day they release a new equipment.

Leica had enough time, and the firmware change is certainly not too extensive.

I will get my Visoflex 2 today - and can’t use it with my M10. And not until March I can tell how good it works.

Smaller company, smaller team and smaller budget. You want 1/4000 sec, Leica is set to B. When they release, you will get it. 🙂

• Like 1

I have the Visoflex attached to my M10-R all the time. I’ve had it about a year and have had no problem with the rubber eye protector. My only complaints are that it is slow displaying the image when I bring it to my eye and the GPS doesn’t work too well in the woods on my hikes and locks on satellites slowly when the camera is turned on even when out in the open.

Given the problems I’ve had getting Fotos to connect my M10-R to my iPhone, it would make getting GPS even more of a headache. It connects to the iPad more easily than the iPhone. I don’t take the iPad on hikes.

7 hours ago, rramesh said:

Smaller company, smaller team and smaller budget. You want 1/4000 sec, Leica is set to B. When they release, you will get it. 🙂

I'd add that its a far, far smaller company whose primary expertise isn't necessarily software. I'd prefer to wait two months vs. two days for firmware tested sufficiently to ensure that it doesn't brick the camera.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:13 AM, wolan said:

The new Visoflex on the M10 with the old batteries will be pretty much useless. 

I cannot try it on M10 yet, but I already see an improvement. The new Visoflex has moved slightly to the left (centered over the lens, not the hot shoe). This means that it does not cover the shutter speed dial, which I found very annoying with the old one.

• Thanks 1