Leica Visoflex 2

trequartista

3 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Well, I'm thinking now might be a good time to pick up a used 020 for the rare times I might need one. 

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I've read about the eye cup rubber piece breaking and not being a replaceable part. That's why I've been waiting for the new version.

6 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Camera Compatibility

• M11
  • M10 (with future firmware update; only 2.4MP viewing resolution available)

I'm going to take a guess that the answer will be the same, 'only 2.4MP viewing resolution available' but does anyone know for sure where the M10-R stands in this compatibility? 

11 hours ago, focusbyhand said:

This is from a Leica FAQ document and is disappointing for M10, M10-P, M10-R users:

“Does the M11 Visoflex 2 work on the M10?
Yes, but this requires a camera FW update. This is expected to be available in mid-March. The M10 will then be able to run the Visoflex 2, but only at the 2.4 megapixel resolution available in the M10. This will result in a slightly smaller viewfinder image in comparison to the use at the M11.”

I believe this is from an FAQ from Dave Gallagher @ CI. he could be probably right. But it would be nice to read an official statement from Leica on this.

Edited by rramesh

I am very happy with my M's (M10M and M10R), they have everything I need. The only thing I was and am dissatisfied with is the EVF. So I was happy to hear that the new viewfinder will be backwards compatible. But then yesterday I read that the viewfinder should be compatible but only reduced to 2.4 MPx should work. My disappointment was accordingly great, since I know that this would be technically easy to implement via a corresponding firmware adjustment and obviously a marketing decision to give the M11 a head start.
Dear Leica people, should this come so then I would be very disappointed!

59 minutes ago, strohscw said:

I am very happy with my M's (M10M and M10R), they have everything I need. The only thing I was and am dissatisfied with is the EVF. So I was happy to hear that the new viewfinder will be backwards compatible. But then yesterday I read that the viewfinder should be compatible but only reduced to 2.4 MPx should work. My disappointment was accordingly great, since I know that this would be technically easy to implement via a corresponding firmware adjustment and obviously a marketing decision to give the M11 a head start.
Dear Leica people, should this come so then I would be very disappointed!

Unless you need the power of a Maestro III to get the full resolution at an acceptable refresh rate to the EVF.  Firmware would not be able to change the hardware limitations the slower processor might have.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlueIn2Red said:

According to the Leica UK store website, yes. All M10s. The lower resolution/smaller image thing is a killer for me though, very disappointing.

indeed but i guess it has to do with the maestro III processor in the M11, the maestro II might not be powerful enough

15 hours ago, strohscw said:

But then yesterday I read that the viewfinder should be compatible but only reduced to 2.4 MPx should work. My disappointment was accordingly great, since I know that this would be technically easy to implement via a corresponding firmware adjustment...

Uh... If you buy a 4K TV and your dvd only outputs 1080P, unless the TV uplevels (which it will) you get 1080P right?  I'm sure there is little to no smarts in the V2, certainly not the ability to properly scale. If, the display chip on the M10 maxes out at 2.4 MPx and cant natively support the 3.7, you're out of luck as there is zero likelihood that an M10 has either the horsepower or free memory space to do upscaling at any acceptable refresh rate.  I'm sure if it was as simple as recognizing the display properties and setting a different resolution output on the chip, they would.  So I don't know, but I seriously doubt theres anything that can be done that would result in an improvement over the original. I suspect the point in offering backward compatibility was to a) to end 020 production by offering a single one size fits all solution and b) make a different form factor available that was less clunky.

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

I don’t get the backwards compatibility story here.  Wouldn’t it have made more sense to make the M11 also compatible with the Visoflex 020 - albeit with less resolution than the new Visoflex 2 - than the other way around like Leica decide now?

1) For those people migrating from a M10 to an M11 who only sometimes use an EVF but have invested in the old 020 it would have been nice if they could keep the older model and use it on their new camera… and only migrate to the new EVF is their is a need for.

2) On the other hand if the newer EVF is downscaled to the same resolution on an M10 (whatever model) camera like the old 020 what is the benefit of acquiring the new EVF? I might miss it but I do not see it.

My guess is that from a user and owner perspective 1) is more beneficial than 2)

1 hour ago, lct said:

According to Jono, « There is still some 'black out' after shooting. and so it isn't quite so good for continuous shooting as the Q2 ». Any info about that black out?

I'd like to hear as well. I don't have a Q2, but I'd like to compare it to the CL. And it won't have the resolution of the SL2, but what about refresh, lag and low light performance?