Switching maybe…..

Itten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there, 

im new to this forum and to Leica. My equipment at the moment is Olympus m4/3 which I switched to from Nikon. The choice was based on the weight I was humping on Safari trips. Up until now I have been satisfied with the images I’ve got. I recently got the D Lux 7 and I’m really surprised ar how good the camera is and I know it’s not a ‘real’ Leica but it has piqued my interest. I am now contemplating a Cl or a Sl2s. I think the Sl is more interesting but I don’t want another heavy camera. I will probably keep my Olympus gear for safari but for all other travel I want light kit. I’d like to hear from folk with experience which way to go.

all the best and thanks, 

Itten

I used the CL with the Sigma 100-400 and that gave fantastic results with light gear.  Considerably better than my Pana GX8 with Leica 100-400. Excellently handholdable. Now I use the Sigma 150-600 but as that is a heavy lens, it works better on the Panasonic S5, although the CL can take it too in a pinch. (I am a  regular Safari photographer and have been in this field since 1988) The SL is quite heavy and lumpy.

Thanks Jaap, that's exactly the sort of info I am looking for, With lockdown it is difficult to get hands on the SL but I keep hearing heavy and lumpy. No doubt some will disagree but you know what hours in a safari jeep means, especially if there are no clamps available. A second hand SL is twice the price of a new CL and that is a serious factor. How was the AFC on this for higher frame rates?

Ended up with a CL instead with two Sigma prime  lenses, 30 and 56mm. I will stick with my Olympus for safaris but see how the Leica is for everything else. I really. Like the weight and feel of the CL, it’s a shame it’s discontinued. I will definitely try to put my hands on an SL2 just to see how it feels but so many people mention the weight that for now I will give it a miss.

only one niggle so far the wheels lock up too easily!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 8:30 PM, jaapv said:

I used the CL with the Sigma 100-400 and that gave fantastic results with light gear.  Considerably better than my Pana GX8 with Leica 100-400. Excellently handholdable. Now I use the Sigma 150-600 but as that is a heavy lens, it works better on the Panasonic S5, although the CL can take it too in a pinch. (I am a  regular Safari photographer and have been in this field since 1988) The SL is quite heavy and lumpy.

Hey Jaap, I just came across an article you wrote about working with a kit based around the CL and GX8, and I was wondering if you had any knowledge or familiarity with the GX9?  I just picked up a new GX9 on sale (20% off - getting discontinued, I reckon) but in many ways the GX8 is a more attractive proposition - better EVF, supposedly better build, and not unimportantly, same batteries as the CL.  The GX9 of course has no AA filter and an improved IBIS system, plus a whole host of features I don't care about and will never use.  I do like the sleeker form factor of the GX9, but to be honest I will have to add the optional grip to carry it comfortably (I always use the grip on my CL, too), so that really diminishes the size difference, I would think. I guess one of my main motivations for even purchasing the camera was to take advantage of the IBIS, and Dual IS, as well as the roster of Panasonic Leica DG lenses - so for this reason, I'm a bit reluctant to move from the GX9's 5-axis IBIS to the GX8's 4-axis system, but maybe in practice it's not so different.  On the other hand, I am an EVF-only shooter, and while I don't really mind the GX9's finder terribly, I would appreciate a nicer one.  Another advantage of the GX8 is that a used copy would be even cheaper than a discounted GX9, but it is nice to have a brand new camera, for a change, lol.  I guess I'm sort of all over the place, but curious to hear your opinion, if you have one.  Thanks.

As far as I am aware the GX8 and GX9 share the same sensor etc so it is down to considerations like yours to make a choice. Personally I would prefer the GX8. It will balance better with the 100-400 and I find the GX9 too small for my hands with larger lenses. Most of the improvements of the GX9 -except the shutter- are mainly aimed at video, and that includes the IBIS. for stills a step from 3.5 stops to 4 stops is barely noticeable, especially if you use dual IS. Concerning the shutter-yes the GX8 has more shutter slap  around 1/125 but the camera has an option for automatic electronic shutter in that range. I mainly use ES anyway. The files from the GX8 need a tad more sharpening but certainly no deal-breaker. If you shop around you should be able to find a like new in box or new old stock example. Oh yes, the GX8 has weather sealing, the GX9 not