90mm Summicron, 1970's Canada

bdolzani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I tend to crave old affordable lenses and have one of these arriving tomorrow. I have the tele-elmarit thin, which I like overall, but I'm attempting more portraits, so seeking F2 to experiment with, and also plan to perhaps use this for concert photography, either on M's or for some extra length on my Fuji X.

I recently watched Matt Osborne/Mr Leica videos where he was complementing this old lens for portraits. 

Any thoughts on what I can expect? I know it's big and heavy but I love a vintage rendering.

2 hours ago, bdolzani said:

...Any thoughts on what I can expect? I know it's big and heavy but I love a vintage rendering...

I suspect you will be absolutely delighted with the lens!

The three aspects you mention are spot-on in that it is a bit big and a bit heavy and it has 'vintage rendering' but don't confuse the latter with 'Soft'. If I may quote Mr. K. Rockwell from his review of the Summicron lenses of this era;

"The Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 was Leica's — and the world's — very finest high-speed telephoto lens for 22 years.......Its performance is outstanding on film. It's very sharp when shot properly, especially wide-open at f/2, however if you're counting pixels on an M9 the sides are softer at the larger apertures. f/5.6 is optimum......

The Leica 90mm Summicron was the world's reference for high performance, high speed teles for over twenty years. Newer teles are better under the microscope, but this bargain-priced lens can still create great images..."

The whole review makes for rather interesting reading and he takes us through the three different cosmetic versions which exist so if you would like to have something to pore over to get you in the mood for it's arrival;

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/90mm-f2.htm

Have fun when it arrives!

Philip.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, pippy said:

I suspect you will be absolutely delighted with the lens!

The three aspects you mention are spot-on in that it is a bit big and a bit heavy and it has 'vintage rendering' but don't confuse the latter with 'Soft'. If I may quote Mr. K. Rockwell from his review of the Summicron lenses of this era;

"The Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 was Leica's — and the world's — very finest high-speed telephoto lens for 22 years.......Its performance is outstanding on film. It's very sharp when shot properly, especially wide-open at f/2, however if you're counting pixels on an M9 the sides are softer at the larger apertures. f/5.6 is optimum......

The Leica 90mm Summicron was the world's reference for high performance, high speed teles for over twenty years. Newer teles are better under the microscope, but this bargain-priced lens can still create great images..."

The whole review makes for rather interesting reading and he takes us through the three different cosmetic versions which exist so if you would like to have something to pore over to get you in the mood for it's arrival;

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/90mm-f2.htm

Have fun when it arrives!

Philip.

Hey Phillip! Yes I know that article and referenced it in my second post - I appreciate your thoughts will give my analysis when it arrives. I like that he said outstanding on film as I'll definitely be using it with M2 or M6 as well as 240.

cheers!

brian 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo update on both digital & film. Lens is a 1976 serial #. These are my usual street style, which is challenging with a 90mm. I'm looking forward to trying it on my family for portraits. 

M240:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6 + Ilford Pan F:

My goal was to shoot it wide open and get some candid portraits, but this is as close as I got.

Edited by bdolzani

More from the Great Dane series :-). And self. And boats with coats.  / Westport, CT / 

M6 + Pan F:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M240: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1