Cheap small flash for M6 TTL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey!

Can anyone recommend cheap compact flashes for the M6 TTL? The flash doesn't need to have TTL, it's not going to be used often just when at family gatherings and I want to snap a few memories in a point and shoot fashion (without having to buy a p&s)

I've heard conflicting stories of frying electronics so that's why I'm asking again to put my mind at ease.

Cheers!

I used to use a Metz 20BC-6, and it worked on my M6TTL, but I then I got a Leica SF20, which is a better flash, and it does TTL. It isn’t cheap. There are probably plenty of good used Metz flashes from ~20 years ago that would work well.

If you get an older Metz with an SCA TTL module for Leica, get the 3502 or 3501 Mod 1, not the original 3501, which had problems with the M6 TTL.

Edited by drew.saunders
  • Like 1

The Leica SF20 isn't cheap indeed, but it works very well. I bought mine many years ago new, and I still use it on my M6 TTL  and the older M6, with very nice results.

There are many other, older flashes that are much cheaper. On my older M4 and M4-P is sometimes use a Metz Mecablitz 32CT3 or the Vivitar 283.

Lex

• Like 1

No need for anything Leica-specific unless you want the red dot. With my M9 and M240 I used to use several of the Nikon SB-28, which was readily available at a good price on ebay. Solidly built, easily managed, compact, powerful. It has both M and A modes, which are all you need.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

The Fujifilm EF-X20 is a great choice (I prefer it to the Leica SF-20 which makes the whole body really unbalanced!).

I'm on the lookout for a FlashQ II by LightPix which I heard good thoughts on digitals - I'm wondering how does it perform with analog?! If it does perform at all (I dont see why not). It does function as a wireless too which is a bonus...also quite cheap.