Q2 autofocus film simulation quirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this - but I seem to be getting less accurate autofocus with my Q2 when I am using B&W High contrast film simulation rather than having it left on standard. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or is it just that I may be imagining it and doing something wrong? I was just playing about with my Q2 thinking of whether to take it with me to go on holiday or not, and I seem to be getting more accurate hits with the autofocus around items in my room when in standard vs B&W high contrast.

I wonder if this is the case, then it may be that my previous gripes with the Q2 autofocus accuracy may be answered as I've always set it on B&W high contrast... but now... it might be that I'm actually doing something different, technique etc, and that this is purely psychological though.

Wondering what other people's experiences might be.

H

Edited by HowardMCheng

• HowardMCheng changed the title to Q2 autofocus film simulation quirk
3 hours ago, HowardMCheng said:

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this - but I seem to be getting less accurate autofocus with my Q2 when I am using B&W High contrast film simulation rather than having it left on standard. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or is it just that I may be imagining it and doing something wrong? I was just playing about with my Q2 thinking of whether to take it with me to go on holiday or not, and I seem to be getting more accurate hits with the autofocus around items in my room when in standard vs B&W high contrast.

I wonder if this is the case, then it may be that my previous gripes with the Q2 autofocus accuracy may be answered as I've always set it on B&W high contrast... but now... it might be that I'm actually doing something different, technique etc, and that this is purely psychological though.

Wondering what other people's experiences might be.

H

Have you customized any of the film styles? I don't know if that was the issue, but I did that and had AF issues. Had to do a complete camera reset, then it was perfect. I've not messed with customizing the film styles again, and things have been fine.

I recommend doing a complete reset in any case.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Have you customized any of the film styles? I don't know if that was the issue, but I did that and had AF issues. Had to do a complete camera reset, then it was perfect. I've not messed with customizing the film styles again, and things have been fine.

I recommend doing a complete reset in any case.

Hi @hdmesa,

Thanks for your thoughts, and that I might not be going totally mad thinking film simulation may have affected the AF abilities. I don't think I had customised any of the settings for the film styles, but I will do a general reset just in case.

There shouldn't be so many quirks with a camera at that kind of price, if I'm perfectly honest. I'm literally *this* close to selling and going back to Sony, but feel I should probably give it a bit more time before I do that considering I have only had it since October LOL.

Many thanks anyway!

H

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HowardMCheng said:

Hi @hdmesa,

Thanks for your thoughts, and that I might not be going totally mad thinking film simulation may have affected the AF abilities. I don't think I had customised any of the settings for the film styles, but I will do a general reset just in case.

There shouldn't be so many quirks with a camera at that kind of price, if I'm perfectly honest. I'm literally *this* close to selling and going back to Sony, but feel I should probably give it a bit more time before I do that considering I have only had it since October LOL.

Many thanks anyway!

H

I don't think customizing the film styles was what did it – I think mine came this way, but I didn't notice the AF missing perfect focus for a while. After the reset, it was night and day better. Wishing you luck, but just know this is a rare problem for the Q2.

3 hours ago, Corius said:

Does the focus appear wrong in the DNG file as well as the JPEG?

Hi @Corius,

I am unsure about "as well as" as I tend to have the film mode to show me what it might look like in BW, and then I post edit to convert to BW, but I do RAW only.

I know it's weird to have film mode and then NOT do JPGs lol, but it's only because the film mode changes the EVF and LCD to BW too.

H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That seems strange. I'm not an expert, but I would have expected the Q2 to do an in-camera conversion to JPG after the RAW image has been recorded. i.e. the film mode should have no effect on the RAW file captured.

Have you tried to verify this by taking two identical photos, one standard and one B&W, using a stable base for the camera and a timer (to rule out camera shake) and then comparing the two unprocessed RAWs  to see if there is a focus difference?

6 hours ago, Corius said:

That seems strange. I'm not an expert, but I would have expected the Q2 to do an in-camera conversion to JPG after the RAW image has been recorded. i.e. the film mode should have no effect on the RAW file captured.

Have you tried to verify this by taking two identical photos, one standard and one B&W, using a stable base for the camera and a timer (to rule out camera shake) and then comparing the two unprocessed RAWs  to see if there is a focus difference?

Hey @Corius,

So I have found that I can set "film simulation" which means the EVF and LCD shows what the image might look like if I actually chose RAW + JPG. The thumbnail of the RAW file in Windows Explorer will show as the film simulated shot, but when you open it up in say Capture One, it'll be the proper RAW file. I've reset it anyway, so we shall see how it goes. In any event, I'll bring a backup next time I go shooting an assignment. I took the Q2 only on an assignment and whilst I got some good shots, definitely not as many nailed shots as if I would if I were using my Sony. Still, will give it more of a chance and see how it goes, but yeah - backup will be necessary just in case LOL.

H

2 hours ago, HowardMCheng said:

Hey @Corius,

So I have found that I can set "film simulation" which means the EVF and LCD shows what the image might look like if I actually chose RAW + JPG. The thumbnail of the RAW file in Windows Explorer will show as the film simulated shot, but when you open it up in say Capture One, it'll be the proper RAW file. I've reset it anyway, so we shall see how it goes. In any event, I'll bring a backup next time I go shooting an assignment. I took the Q2 only on an assignment and whilst I got some good shots, definitely not as many nailed shots as if I would if I were using my Sony. Still, will give it more of a chance and see how it goes, but yeah - backup will be necessary just in case LOL.

H

FWIW, I've found using AFs with either Spot or Field AF (with the box made as small as it will go) will give you the most accurate AF for still subjects. If you were in any other AF mode, all bets are off. Multi-field does what it wants, and Tracking can't track.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hdmesa said:

FWIW, I've found using AFs with either Spot or Field AF (with the box made as small as it will go) will give you the most accurate AF for still subjects. If you were in any other AF mode, all bets are off. Multi-field does what it wants, and Tracking can't track.

Thanks for the heads up @hdmesa. I tend to use spot, or face, but also shooting with Sony, I guess I'm very spoilt by Sony's face and eye AF, and Q2's face tracking is just useless compared to my Sony lol. I will try spotting on the eyes or manual focus if I'm shooting with the Q2.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's something very attractive about the image coming out of the Q2, but I would really love to have better AF, hence I still have Sony backup.