sRGB?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are you still exporting images for use on-line using sRGB colorspace?

Years ago you couldn't count on browsers displaying anything close to correct colors unless the image was exported in sRGB.  Some browsers ignored the stated colorspace and used sRGB regardless.   That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.   I've started using Display P3 as my default colorspace for exported images destined for on-line consumption.  I haven't noticed any down sides.  Anyone else using Display P3?

At the risk of displaying my ignorance, I note that the colour space of the M10-R and M11 cameras is sRGB.  Does this not imply that colours outside this space are not recorded, or are interpolated into the sRGB colour space at the time of recording the DNG file?  Accordingly, what would be the use of processing or publishing these files into a larger colour space?  Thank you for any advice.

2 hours ago, icon80 said:

At the risk of displaying my ignorance, I note that the colour space of the M10-R and M11 cameras is sRGB.  Does this not imply that colours outside this space are not recorded, or are interpolated into the sRGB colour space at the time of recording the DNG file?  Accordingly, what would be the use of processing or publishing these files into a larger colour space?  Thank you for any advice.

sRGB is the colour space of the jpegs that the M11 produces. The camera DNGs have their own, much larger "colour space" (strictly not really a colour space), the specifics of which I'll leave for others to describe.

AKAIK... (happy to be corrected) sRGB is always the safest bet when you have to digitally present work into an unknown environment... aka post online

Even if the person seeing your image online has a >100% sRGB monitor, there's every chance that they have it on a gaming preset or eye care or low blue light etc