Macbook Pro 2021

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure where to post this... I've decided here as I mainly use my computer to edit photos with an external screen.

It's laptop upgrade time!

I'm basically a happy enough windows user... although myself and my partner are noticing that windows laptops don't seem to have the physical longevity they had a few years back!

So, I'm considering spending twice the money for half the (on paper) spec on the latest macbook pro 16"

I'd like to get some input from you all.

My concerns (other than paying for it and learning a completely new system) are the loss of a whole suite of apps that I've built up over many years.

This is what it is - I accept that, but I'm concerned that I may not be able to get my apps back on the 2021 M1 / Monterey OS Macbook....?

So...

What are the non-subscription options for MS office and are they M1 chip optimised? (Googling this gets confusing quickly!)

Is it true that displaycal doesn't work on the newer macbooks? (Important to me)

Is it true that my LR 6.14 won't install on the newer mac OS?

How much of a PITA is it too transfer photos and data to Mac Monterey from an android phone?

Plus a whole raft of things that I won't ask about, but little apps I've picked up here and there (profile designers, command line tools etc)

I appreciate that Mac has many fans, and I don't doubt that if one was starting out with a clean slate it would probably be the way to go....

....But I'm just concerned that I'll just end up shedding a vast amount of apps I have that I use, be forced to re-buy others, and be forced onto the creative cloud package, and ultimately for my usage (web/office/lightroom) I won't really get the benefits - particularly as my main usage is Lightroom on an external monitor (which with Mac I may not even be able to calibrate!)

I suppose the $64,000 £2500/3000€ question is... how much longevity can I realistic expect from a Macbook Pro before things like batteries, motherboards etc go bad (sorry that's a bit of a how deep is a hole type question!)

I'm rambling a bit 🙄 sorry.

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts

Guest Nowhereman

Adam, I can't answer all your questions, except that LR 6.14 won't run under the Monterey operating system. However, I recommend that, when you buy, the new Mac, get the extended 3-year warranty: I have the mid-2015 MacBook pro and with that, as well as the previous two or three MacBooks, it paid off to have the warranty, in that something always went wrong in years 2-3, such as battery and top cover/screen hinge, etc.

Thanks Mitch, although that actually puts quite a lump sum on top of the purchase price, whilst simultaneously not filling me with confidence 😅

I found a place that can sell me Mac MS office 2016 standalone for an acceptable sum, but how that's compatible with Monterey I'm really not sure!

If I do have to go with CC then ce la ve (I could always use C1 v22 that I paid for ahahaha, just my little eyeroll joke with myself) at least it's a low monthly cost

================

I'm still can't really place why I want to do this... I dunno... if I stick with windows I found a company that builds laptops from menu selections and for far less coin I can get more spec (which will probably be enough performance) and not lose anything I have already...

I guess it's the classic angel  / devil moment... don't spend the extra money, stick with what works for you / get the shiny new thing get the shiny new thing 🤣

The MacPlus of 1987 had too less possibilities and landed in the bin soon. The SE/30 (of 1989) with its almost black screen has been spent to the museum after 20 years of use. The 7100 (1993) was running still, but I put it into the bin, because I did not use it anymore. My Mac Cube (2003) still is functional and is used sometimes (no repairs). Also the old laptop (MacBook Air 2011) - with a Windows app on it - is ok (no repairs). My laptop MacBook Pro 16 inch of 2012 is in use, memory has been added. The beautiful laptop of my wife (MacBook Air 12 inch of 2016) has the faulty butterfly keyboard (not repairable!) and will end its life in the next weeks. Today my wife started with a MacBook Pro 14 inch M1, with help of the Migration Assistent.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Not sure, but I suspect that the M1/Monterey needs at least Office 2019 or 365.

maybe it has to do with whatever rosetta is…? I keep seeing that word in my google searches… back in my day rosetta was a home language course, that would be neat, meu Portugues e uma merda 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, jankap said:

The MacPlus of 1987 had too less possibilities and landed in the bin soon. The SE/30 (of 1989) with its almost black screen has been spent to the museum after 20 years of use. The 7100 (1993) was running still, but I put it into the bin, because I did not use it anymore. My Mac Cube (2003) still is functional and is used sometimes (no repairs). Also the old laptop (MacBook Air 2011) - with a Windows app on it - is ok (no repairs). My laptop MacBook Pro 16 inch of 2012 is in use, memory has been added. The beautiful laptop of my wife (MacBook Air 12 inch of 2016) has the faulty butterfly keyboard (not repairable!) and will end its life in the next weeks. Today my wife started with a MacBook Pro 14 inch M1, with help of the Migration Assistent.

I must admit I read that and thought “and?”

then I started to type my reply on the ipad I bought in 2017 then as I was typing I realised that since then I’m on my 3rd android phone, 2nd windows laptop and yet still the same ipad…

point well made and well taken sir

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

maybe it has to do with whatever rosetta is…? I keep seeing that word in my google searches… back in my day rosetta was a home language course, that would be neat, meu Portugues e uma merda 

See definition of Rosetta Stone. Apple's Rosetta is a system tool to translate non-native code to native code, on the fly, while running the program. That allows running Intel code on M1 computers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SrMi said:

See definition of Rosetta Stone. Apple's Rosetta is a system tool to translate non-native code to native code, on the fly, while running the program. That allows running Intel code on M1 computers.

from the link

The Rosetta Stone is a granodiorite stele inscribed with three versions of a decreeissued in Memphis, Egypt, in 196 BC during the Ptolemaic dynasty on behalf of King Ptolemy V Epiphanes. 

I appreciate the description of apple’s version. Thank you.

=========

I’m still in two minds… (which isn’t a good sign with me)

I figure it boils down too moving from a software environment that I know well and that I have all the tools and apps that I need, that happens to run on hardware I dislike to a software environment that I don’t (know well/have apps for) but is housed within hardware that’s clearly excellent.

As stated above, Rosetta runs Intel architecture programs on the new Mac silicon architecture and comes bundled with macOS.  As more and more software gets ported it will not be necessary, but then most people do keep software for a long time as it's easier than learning new stuff.  

It might be worth checking if the apps you would like to keep come with a dual licence for both Windows and Mac as many do.  If not then have a look at VirtualBox (which is free) and will allow you to install a virtual copy of Windows and run the apps you need.  MacOS comes with free copies of the Apple equivalent of Office and you can import and export Office compatible files, or there are free versions of Office clones such as Open Office or Libra Office for the Mac.  

Sorry Lightroom 6.14 is dead in the water as although it is a 64bit program Adobe changed the installer to 32bit so it won't install.  If you have C1 then you can go with that or try Exposure X7 if you don't want to go down the subscription root with Adobe.  

If you have an iPad then I assume you will have an Apple ID which will allow you to sync all of your calendar, reminder etc. events between them.  All you need then is to shell out for an iPhone and the jobs done, you become a fully paid up member of the Apple Club 😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobitybob said:

As stated above, Rosetta runs Intel architecture programs on the new Mac silicon architecture and comes bundled with macOS.  As more and more software gets ported it will not be necessary, but then most people do keep software for a long time as it's easier than learning new stuff.  

It might be worth checking if the apps you would like to keep come with a dual licence for both Windows and Mac as many do.  If not then have a look at VirtualBox (which is free) and will allow you to install a virtual copy of Windows and run the apps you need.  MacOS comes with free copies of the Apple equivalent of Office and you can import and export Office compatible files, or there are free versions of Office clones such as Open Office or Libra Office for the Mac.  

Sorry Lightroom 6.14 is dead in the water as although it is a 64bit program Adobe changed the installer to 32bit so it won't install.  If you have C1 then you can go with that or try Exposure X7 if you don't want to go down the subscription root with Adobe.  

If you have an iPad then I assume you will have an Apple ID which will allow you to sync all of your calendar, reminder etc. events between them.  All you need then is to shell out for an iPhone and the jobs done, you become a fully paid up member of the Apple Club 😀

VirtualBox is not compatible with M1 computers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253292128

As you already use an external screen with your laptop, unless the portability of the laptop is essential I would look at the Mac Mini (with the M1 chip). It's a powerful computer (don't let the 'Mini' description put you off!) and will work with your existing screen. I use a 2012 Mac Mini (upgraded with SSD & extra memory) connected to an Eizo display and it is fine, though I will be upgrading to the M1 version this year.

Geoff

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, Adam Bonn said:

Righty 

in for a penny, in for erm lots and lots of pennies…

MBP ordered, due  Thursday week

Thanks for all of the advice

According to UPS it’s coming tomorrow (from uk to portugal), damn that’s fast! (Fast? Welcome to mac Adam 😅)

54 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

That is amazing. I ordered my M1 Max just after  Christmas and my delivery eta is 16 Feb to 1 Mar!

Yeah a friend of mine has been waiting 2 months for his, I think that maybe because I’ve just ordered the basic 16” version (but with 1tb) then there’s not the wait. Just a hunch though..

Oh and incidentally when I am in the uk, I’m usually in Bletchley! Small world!

Edited by Adam Bonn
  • Like 1

One area of mac silicon I was concerned about was the fact that apparently  displaycal doesn't work with it...

plonked about the internet, found some how too, a work a round type guide..

I'll calibrate the proper external screen tomorrow...

But I thought I'd just run a quick test, zero everything in settings - just a calibration run, a proof of concept if you will, that displaycal talks to agryll, and my color calibrator

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's the laptop screen as shipped with the standard apple profile...

Not too shabby, never saw those gamut numbers on my previous windows laptops!

(bit skeptical that sRGB coverage is less than aRGB !!!)

On 1/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, Adam Bonn said:

What are the non-subscription options for MS office and are they M1 chip optimised? (Googling this gets confusing quickly!)

Is it true that displaycal doesn't work on the newer macbooks? (Important to me)

Is it true that my LR 6.14 won't install on the newer mac OS?

How much of a PITA is it too transfer photos and data to Mac Monterey from an android phone?

Plus a whole raft of things that I won't ask about, but little apps I've picked up here and there (profile designers, command line tools etc)

I appreciate that Mac has many fans, and I don't doubt that if one was starting out with a clean slate it would probably be the way to go....

....But I'm just concerned that I'll just end up shedding a vast amount of apps I have that I use, be forced to re-buy others, and be forced onto the creative cloud package, and ultimately for my usage (web/office/lightroom) I won't really get the benefits - particularly as my main usage is Lightroom on an external monitor (which with Mac I may not even be able to calibrate!)

I suppose the $64,000 £2500/3000€ question is... how much longevity can I realistic expect from a Macbook Pro before things like batteries, motherboards etc go bad (sorry that's a bit of a how deep is a hole type question!)

To transfer photos and data from an Android phone, there are plenty of apps like https://openmtp.ganeshrvel.com or https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

When it's time to switch, you can also migrate data like contacts, photos etc from your Windows laptop to your Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

To replace Office, I just use the free iWork suite that comes preinstalled, it is good enough for my use, but I don't know your use case.

LR 6 won't install. The problem is not LR per se, but the installer. Adobe never upgraded the installer to 64bit 🙄

To answer your last question: I have an old Macbook from 2009 and it's still working :D I also had a 15" Macbook Pro for over 6 years and I sold it for a very good price. Of course there could be lemons. 

If you don't want to go the Adobe subscription route, have you considered the alternatives? Affinity has a strong Photoshop contender for a reasonable price. From time to time it goes on sale, I paid 35 or 40€ for my lifetime license, can't remember now.

• Thanks 1