CL with auto-ISO Novoflex Adapter and configured M lens not working

ferfi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I use a Leica CL with a Novoflex adapter and a Leica M lens.
I selected the lens manually in the menu (Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH).

I now want to shoot in A mode. Exposure time and ISO should be set automatically by the camera.
I have activated Auto-ISO. For Auto-ISO I have set 1/4f. So at least 1/160s (1/140s does not exist) or shorter should be selected. 
Unfortunately this does not work. 
The ISO stays at 100 and the exposure time goes up to 20 seconds.

Am I doing something wrong?
Does this only work with the Leica adapter?
Does it not work at all with adapted lenses?

I would be very happy about any hints!

Best regards
Ralph

These are two independent settings, IIRC. With the setting you describe above, you tell the camera how to select the appropriate ISO when and if auto ISO is selected. You enable and disable auto ISO with a separate setting. I believe it's merely the first entry in the ISO setting.

• Like 1

On my CL, I have AutoISO configured for 3200 Maximum ISO and 1/(2f) Min. Shutter Speed. Using the Leica M Adapter L, I configure the camera to use the lens profile for the Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 lens, fitting a Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 lens. I set f/4 and AutoISO, then point the camera at close range at a light source and start moving the camera from the light target to a darker target: the ISO stays at 200 until the shutter speed hits 1/50 sec, then the ISO climbs to the max limit as the light level decreases. Once the limit is reached, the exposure time lengthens to suit. 

This is how it is supposed to work. Do a similar setup and test. If it doesn't work, either the Leica mount adapter is adding something to the camera's programming or there is something awry with your camera. Test again with the Leica M Adapter L to determine if that is the problem. It may be that you need to use a lens profile so the camera thinks it knows what the lens maximum aperture is, and I seem to recall that the lens profile can only be set and used with the Leica M Adapter L; third party adapters don't affect the camera's little brain without the M Adapter L's wiring. 

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

Hi ramarren

You are right. I did exactly the same. My CL behaves differently. The only difference is the Novoflex adapter instead of the M Adapter L.

I also have to check if there is a newer Firmware available. Mine has 4.0 installed.

So, if I have the newest Firmware installed with no different behavior, I will order the adapter end of this week and give an update here.

Thank you for testing and describing!

Best regards

Ralph

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/10/2022 at 2:12 PM, lct said:

Not sure to understand what auto iso settings you've chosen. Maximum iso? Min. shutter speed?

Max ISO ist set to 3200

Min shutter speed is set to 1/(4f).

Manual lens profile is set: Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH

So shutter speed should always be faster than 1/140 as long as ISO 3200 is not reached. This is working fine with the L lenses, but not with my M lens in combination with the Novoflex adapter.
I will check if there is a new firmware available. If there is no fix available for this, I will order the M adapter L (see conversation below).
Thank you for your reply!

On 1/10/2022 at 2:45 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I would drop the auto ISO and try again, I generally use a manual setting, but when I switch to a manual aperture lens (have M mounts and L mounts) I have had no problems on the A setting. 

Manual setting is working fine, but I like to use the auto-iso setting in the same way it is working with L lenses

3 hours ago, ferfi said:

Min shutter speed is set to 1/(4f). So shutter speed should always be faster than 1/140 as long as ISO 3200 is not reached [...]

Sorry but what does "1/(4f)" mean? 1/4? There is no 1/140 setting in the CL menu AFAIK.