New Noctilux F1

a5m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Is the f/0.95 being replaced or discontinued, or will this be offered alongside? Clearly not a re-issue but an updated design with the much sleeker and presumably improved built-in hood. Looks slightly larger as well, both width and length wise.

If it retains the original optical formula while improving wide open sharpness this will be the it lens for me. And what if MFD is 0.7m...

https://leicarumors.com/2022/01/09/new-leica-noctilux-m-50mm-f-1-lens-leaked-online-with-the-leica-m11-camera.aspx/

I think LeicaRumors is confused about this - all the other lenses in that M11 montage are vintage, not new. (already discussed elsewhere on the forum).

That Noctilux 50 is marked with a prototype serial number - I suspect it was just an experiment in the 1980s to add the built-in hood (later added for production as a square hood - which was the "improved hood" - cut to the shape of the image for better flare protection).

It is also marked LEITZ not LEICA.

The 50 f/1.0 used a special "Noctilux glass" formula no longer made - my rep used to carry around a chunk of it to show off at store "Leica Days."

Basic tenet of journalism that "citizen journalists" tend to forget - always get a second source before publishing. ;)

But hey - it collects clicks ($$$) from the gullible.

Edited by adan
  • Thanks 3

Here is the render with vintage glass that is confusing everyone. Also note the odd sequence of the MATE (28-50-35).
There is of course a 4% probability that all this is coming... 😄

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The 28-50-35 label is actually more accurate.

The lens is a "double zoom" - the mechanism starts at 28mm, then zooms to 50mm, and then zooms back to 35mm (or vice-versa).

This was required to get the correct framelines to show in the correct order, via a mechanical connection that conforms to how Leica had sequenced the focal lengths ever since the M3 (and M4-P) - pre-digital, and thus pre-live-view. The actual zoom ring has always run 28-50-35 (or 35-50-28 - take your pick).

(see the zoom rings below)

In the M3, Leica had already hard-wired the lens frameline lever to operate as 135 (+ later 35) as the default zero position; 50 (later +75) as one notch farther; 90 (later +28) as two notches farther.

The 28-50-35 had to get with the program.

But if I am wrong about all this just being a fairy-tale - I will get a consolation prize. Since the 35mm Summicron-M v.4 and 90mm TEM f/2.8 are also pictured. And those would be fun to get in new, factory-fresh 6-bit form. ;)

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, adan said:

The 28-50-35 label is actually more accurate.

Well, to be pedantic, the most accurate is the 35-50-28 sequence (we view f/stops and distance from left to right) as per all MATE focal length selection rings which makes this render odd indeed.
From that image, I would only take the Noct though. My favorite "must make" tiny brand new 6-bit coded and improved 35 lux pre asph style is not there 😥.

Edited by Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, weinlamm said:

I think there is something missunderstood. :blink: 

The serial 27xx is not a new lens. It's an older lens. An check said "1974". 

I think this should show "the new M11 works fine with older glass...". 

Except the actual SN on the 50 Nocti in that image is 271-hyphen-285.

Which either means a prototype (and thus not on the normal sequence - could be ANY year)

Or a six-digit SN - which would make it 271285 - a 1935 screw-mount lens. ;)

Edited by adan
  • Thanks 1

Why these lenses then? Why are they featured in a Leica produced image?  We recognize each as production lenses from the past except the Noctilux.  Could Leica be hinting at upcoming reissues?

As Al says the 35 Summilux pre is my wish.  It’s not pictures but is rumored. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Why these lenses then? Why are they featured in a Leica produced image?  We recognize each as production lenses from the past except the Noctilux.  Could Leica be hinting at upcoming reissues?

Leica seemingly wants to show backwards compatibility with legacy lenses. Smart move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

Perhaps it is just to show that while the M11 maybe the most advanced rangefinder ever made with some very forward thinking features, it can still use glass from the entire history of the M-series. It’s an interesting contrast to show a camera that looks 50 years old, with 50 year old glass mounted to it, that is on the cutting edge of photographic capability in 2022.

That would kind of fit in with their marketing approach to the launch of the camera, “what makes a legend?”

2 hours ago, trickness said:

That would kind of fit in with their marketing approach to the launch of the camera, “what makes a legend?”

"Legend" is an interesting approach and the promotion makes perfect sense, or Leica is having fun.  Could Leica be watching the myriad of posts with this launch and have a good chuckle, while also gleaning good ideas for future models?  

51 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

True, but if someone doesn't know that the current M works with old M glass, are they going to recognize these lenses as old designs anyway?

Count me in on that group, I ignored the lenses despite owning most at one time and was paying attention to the camera.  Like a moth to the light 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darylgo said:

I can't imagine Leica has the staff or time to spend on this many reissues. Unless their modern lens designs are in a serious sales slump, and the staff has a lot of time on their hands. 😫

Given that Leica only just recently 1) came out with another 50 Noctilux historical replica (f/1.2) - and one that commanded and allowed an exorbitant price even for Leica (up to $80K for an original) , and 2) killed off the Summarit line (the silver lens in the background is a 90 Summarit f/2.4), I would say that an actual U-turn this quickly would smack of desperation in some form.

I don't know that a 35 Summilux pre is "rumored" by anyone in a position to say so - most of what I see amounts more to "wishful thinking" (not the same thing ;) ).

Among other things, even though these appear to be ready-baked designs, a lot of optical glass types from 40-60 years ago are no longer available (as Peter Karbe mentioned in discussing the recreation of the 50mm f/1.2). Which means back to the drawing board to accommodate today's glass catalog (Abbé numbers, refractive indices, etc.)

Leica can't "make 'em like they used to" in many cases.

But as my Leica rep used to say, while still under NDA regarding new something in the works, "You just never know!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adan said:

I don't know that a 35 Summilux pre is "rumored" by anyone in a position to say so - most of what I see amounts more to "wishful thinking" (not the same thing ;) ).

Thinking about this further I can't be certain there is a rumor, and if not, I'll be happy to start one.  Who in there right mind wouldn't want this reissue? 🙂

• Like 1

I am so happy they also included my 226 gram 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit Canada lens. It had Leica CLA and 6 bit code it some years ago and it performs exceptionally well on any Monochrom. M246. Shot well before Topaz existed.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 12