Summilux-SL vs APO Summicron-SL 50 *At F/2*

antialiasing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I wait for the lux (it is "on fedex vehicle for delivery"), I would like to share a solution to portability -- but it is non-leica. I use a pair of Ricoh's, GR III and IIIx, and they do go with me everywhere. Sometimes one pocket each. Picture attached. And both have IBIS -- why wouldn't the M11 I can't fathom. So this is a ~$2k solution to portability. And images are really super sharp wide-open. I don't think of them as real contenders in our conversation here (I'm probably offending people already) but if you want real portability, and "Elmarit", this is it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 1/10/2022 at 11:30 PM, tom0511 said:

I think  a good choice. For me such a fast lens makes more choice on the sl(2) than on a M camera, because withbface detection and af younare also abke tomprecisly focus it wide open, even for not totally still subjects. Thats why I use a f.2.0 50mm on the M.

the handling of the sl50mm 1.4 is totally fine, itbjust not the lens which you throw in the backpack additionally to 2 or 3 other lenses on a hike !)

let us know how you like it.

Quite right. My eyes aren’t what they used to be so am moving away from the M system to autofocus. Also adapting M lenses to L mount and focusing with the high resolution EV of the SL2 is so much easier for me than with the M10 for 35mm and longer. Disappointed the 020 isn’t very good.

1 hour ago, rtai said:

Quite right. My eyes aren’t what they used to be so am moving away from the M system to autofocus. Also adapting M lenses to L mount and focusing with the high resolution EV of the SL2 is so much easier for me than with the M10 for 35mm and longer. Disappointed the 020 isn’t very good.

agreed on manual focus with the SL2: it's surprisingly easy. I got a LET/NIK adapter to try my nikon 50 1.2 and 50 1.4 Opera. Critical focusing at 1.4 proves not a problem even on the latter, which is a modern high res design.

OK I got it, in time for superficial initial testing with a white moon and blue sky at 1.4 and ~1/800th. Took a few shots with the moon in the middle and at the extreme corners, also shots with thin branches in the corners. Resolution worries are dispelled. And no CA, whether the moon or skyline. Every time Peter Karbe talks about this lens (I have seen it in two different videos/occasions), he hastened to add that the MFT at 1.4 is PRE software corrections. In particular, he explains that the saddest looking line (the bottom-most one) is due to CA, which is to be corrected in software. I think I'm seeing why it's important.

The center is stunning; nothing to see there:-)

For some reason the Leica lens cap works much better on the 1.4 than on the zooms. On the latter it keeps falling off, to the extent that I replaced both with Nikon ones for rock solid grip.