Summicron M 50mm + UV filter + hood

George Stoichev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have purchased Summicron M 50mm ASPH brand new. It is with built-in hood.I bought also UV clear filter just for protection of the lens. Unfortunately on some of my latest shots I can see some flares.

Any suggestions how to avoid it? I insist on the UV filter, do I have to buy hood for 35mm?

I’m surprised that Leica didn’t invent the lens smart enough to work with the filter correctly, meaning w/out need of additional hood.

Filters always add the potential for flare. There are multicoated filters which are said to reduce it, but adding an additional glass surface, in my experience, invites flair. If using a filter, I'd always suggest a lens hood.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

There are no hoods for Summicron M 50mm.What hood should I use and can I insert it when the filter is mounted.

If your Summicron is a 50/2 apo or a 50/2 v5 it has a built-in hood which should be extended if you use a filter. It is rather vestigial but should suffice in most circumstances. Otherwise, you may wish to screw a 39mm aftermarket lens hood into your filter or to remove the later when you don't need it.

On my Summicron 50mm lenses, I don't use UV filter, for me not needing to add on a good lens a piece of glass

which only degrades the lens performance (from my experience).

To protect the lens, I use vented hood when I need, I have in many sizes as screw-in (E39, E40.5, E46,etc.)

like this one, vented hood to see through (link)

as here E43 on Summilux 50

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

On my Summicron 50mm lenses, I don't use UV filter, for me not needing to add on a good lens a piece of glass

which only degrades the lens performance (from my experience).

To protect the lens, I use vented hood when I need, I have in many sizes as screw-in (E39, E40.5, E46,etc.)

like this one, vented hood to see through (link)

as here E43 on Summilux 50

Hi and many thanks.

I use the UV filter in order to protect the lens from dust and eventually splashes.

is it possible to use this hood with the UV filter?

the Summicron (as with many lenses) can produce a "central veiling flare" with bright light sources just outside the frame. I find the Zeiss Planar ZM much better in this regard, but overall still prefer the Summicron - I just avoid the conditions that cause the flare.

Filters tend to produce reflections that are more defined than the veiling flare - like ghost images of bright spots in the frame.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

the Summicron (as with many lenses) can produce a "central veiling flare" with bright light sources just outside the frame. I find the Zeiss Planar ZM much better in this regard, but overall still prefer the Summicron - I just avoid the conditions that cause the flare.

Filters tend to produce reflections that are more defined than the veiling flare - like ghost images of bright spots in the frame.

You’re absolutely right. You thing that wven with additional hood in same condition because of the filter I’ll got flare?

I too was shocked by the current 50mm Summicron's poor flare performance. After 40 years using Pentax and Nikon I just couldn't believe that a modern lens that cost more than $2500 would flare the way it does. All of my old (50+ years) screw mount Pentax lenses perform better. I returned the Summicron and stayed with the Zeiss Planar ZM. All of my lenses get a new B+W UV filter the moment they come out of the box and I've never needed a lens hood.

Edited by BradS

Don't worry. The central veiling flare (CVF) is a flare you may never meet in your practice. In 30+ years i did not notice it more than a dozen times. A more common flare occurs when strong light sources are just outside the frame. Easy to avoid by placing the sun clearly outside (or inside) the frame lines of your camera. Otherwise the Summicron 50/2 v5 is not a flare prone lens that much.

54 minutes ago, BradS said:

I too was shocked by the current 50mm Summicron's poor flare performance. After 40 years using Pentax and Nikon I just couldn't believe that a modern lens that cost more than $2500 would flare the way it does. All of my old (50+ years) screw mount Pentax lenses perform better. I returned the Summicron and stayed with the Zeiss Planar ZM. All of my lenses get a new B+W UV filter the moment they come out of the box and I've never needed a lens hood.

Pentax lenses were quite flare resistant. I bought an H1a with 55mm f2 in 1965, and while doing very large prints my Leica-using friend commented on the sharpness and clarity. He was also very impressed with the mechanics of that lens. They were very well made.

30 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Pentax lenses were quite flare resistant. I bought an H1a with 55mm f2 in 1965, and while doing very large prints my Leica-using friend commented on the sharpness and clarity. He was also very impressed with the mechanics of that lens. They were very well made.

I had an Pentax H1a too.  I opted for the 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar.  I carried that camera with me everywhere...even crossing open desert on a Honda XR-600R motorcycle in the early 1990's!   I still have a few Spotmatics and a dozen or so Super-Takumar and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar lenses.

Some examples of the flare I’m talking about