Remote Flash Trigger for SL2

dem331

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been successfully using a Phottix remote transmitter and two Phottix receivers  for firing two Canon Speedlites with my M240, always operating on Manual Flash.  But now the Phottix does not fit on my SL2 hotshoe so I have to buy a different trigger. 

I have read on this forum that the Godox Xpro-C (for Canon) works well (for Manual Flash settings).  I assume I do not need to buy receivers if I’m using only Canon speedlites. Can somebody please confirm this? Many thanks. 

Godox trigger for Canon, Nikon, and Fuji will all fire from the SL2 to Godox comparable speed light/strobes. I tried using my Godox transmitter with a Godox Cannon receiver  and Canon 580ex speed light and it would fire the speed light but I had to adjust power settings from the speed light not the transmitter. In that case any dumb single pin transmitter/reciever pair would have worked and would have been cheeper. I sold my Canon speed light and bought a Godox one to work with my other Godox strobes. They all work with my Leica's in non-ttl/non-hss mode.

• Thanks 1

If you’re planning on using the Godox X-Pro trigger, you should use Godox speedlights for full control of exposure from the trigger itself.  It won’t trigger Canon brand lights unless you buy their remote receivers, and as @Driften said, you’ll have to individually adjust your Canon lights’ power.  I use Godox for my Leicas and while fully manual, it’s fairly easy to setup groups and adjust settings without going to each light and tweaking things. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Anakronox said:

If you’re planning on using the Godox X-Pro trigger, you should use Godox speedlights for full control of exposure from the trigger itself.  It won’t trigger Canon brand lights unless you buy their remote receivers, and as @Driften said, you’ll have to individually adjust your Canon lights’ power.  I use Godox for my Leicas and while fully manual, it’s fairly easy to setup groups and adjust settings without going to each light and tweaking things. 

Yes, thanks, I had been coming to this conclusion myself as I have researched the possibilities. 

So if I start from scratch, what remote trigger and flashes would be best to use with SL2 for a portable amateur studio experience? Any suggestions welcome. 

Any of the X-Pro triggers.  I use the Nikon versions because I used to shoot with Nikon.  The Canon shoe style X-Pro triggers (and flashes) will also work if you still have those cameras.  Just make sure the lights list compatibility with the Godox 2.4 GHz standard.  Then it’s a matter of what type strobes you want to use.  Godox has a huge range from shoe mounted flashes to (small) studio level lights.  I use a mix of the AD200 Pro and V860II models for lights.  Occasionally a V350, but rarely anymore.  All able to be triggered from the X-Pro.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! I have been really enjoying the exchange of ideas here. I have Godox 860IIIN from my old Nikon stable, when I used D810. I have purchased a Leica SL2-s last month. THe Godox will not work in TTL mode any way. Can I fire it using Godox trigger X2T-N so that hot shoe of Leica is not directly used to fire the flash? I think I can protect the hot shoe of Leica from any voltage surges. Is it OK?

4 hours ago, PK Bhattacharyya said:

Hi! I have been really enjoying the exchange of ideas here. I have Godox 860IIIN from my old Nikon stable, when I used D810. I have purchased a Leica SL2-s last month. THe Godox will not work in TTL mode any way. Can I fire it using Godox trigger X2T-N so that hot shoe of Leica is not directly used to fire the flash? I think I can protect the hot shoe of Leica from any voltage surges. Is it OK?

The flash you are using does not support TTL on leica. There is no firmware update for it from godox

you can use the flash and trigger in manual mode

if you have the godox L trigger and a newer flash like the V1 you can get TTL on the sl2 even if the flash is for Nikon 

• Like 1