The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Athornton said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The original was taken with the 28Lux, ISO64, f4.8, 1/160. 

And here is a crop.

Best regards,

Andrew

Excellent showcasing of the M11 potential. But shame on you for making me consider re-purchasing the 28 Lux M 😭😂

This makes me want the 60mp BSI sensor in a Q3 very, very badly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

One last one to show a more contrasty scene

• Like 5

vor 1 Stunde schrieb hdmesa:

The Images are pretty nice and it‘s probably also nice to have them in 60 MP but i am sure they would also look great on the existing Qs and previous M Generation.

Edited by Dilo87
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dfarkas said:

Happy to chime in and clarify!

Nope, no tripod for any of the images.

No Night Sky filter. No filters of any kind.

Yes, I did use some special "factory-fresh" lenses - the 35 APO and 50 APO. They are indeed quite special! But my other three lenses aren't even produced any more. I used the 18 Super-Elmar, 24 Elmar and my 20-year-old 90 Elmarit-M. They all performed wonderfully. The 18 SE on the M11 was a killer combo. 

I also saw AWB tending towards the blue and magenta side, moreso on the pre-production firmware. On the current production firmware, I still feel AWB is a bit cool in daylight but just about spot-on in artificial light. I also didn't prefer the default M11 profile in Lightroom and ultimately ended up reprocessing all of my images using Adobe Color, which resulted in color response much closer to the M10 and M10-R. The only issue with the Adobe profile was the slight desaturation of the deepest reds. In those cases, some HSL or red channel camera calibration tweaking fixed the shortcoming. I'm confident we'll see updated profiles from Adobe fairly soon, but the current workarounds are quick and simple. 

The files from the M11 have massive dynamic range. To get the most out of them, you do need to process them with a bit of a heavier hand. Otherwise, the results will look flat and lifeless. The shift between the M10 files and those from the M11 remind me of the move from M9 to M240, or from the S006 to the S007. In each of those cases, the huge difference in dynamic range and file malleability from CCD to CMOS sensors was misinterpreted to be flat, uninteresting, and less desirable. Just like those first-gen CMOS cameras compared to what came before, there is a quantum leap forward in image quality with the M11 that just needs to be untapped in post processing. And just to get ahead of the question, yes, once fully-baked profiles come out from Adobe I will work on an M11 LR preset to share with the community. 

Similar jump from GFX 50S/R (FSI) to GFX 100/100S (BSI), and the same discussions continue to happen around the look of the files.

It's an interesting shift. We're given so much DR/data with these files, they often need an aggressive filmic tone curve (s-curve) applied in order to bring back the natural contrast of the scene that was originally observed. 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, dfarkas said:

The shift between the M10 files and those from the M11 remind me of the move from M9 to M240, or from the S006 to the S007

I suspect several of us are thinking the same thing. I mentioned elsewhere that the shift, and community response, reminded me a lot of the move from 645D to Z where folks were complaining everything looked flat. The files seem to have huge latitude in the shadows at least. In LR, one can push shadows to 100, create a virtual copy and nearly do it again. 

8 hours ago, elmars said:

Flat light causes flat images. The camera is not responsible for all bad photos. The M240 had a flat contrast curve. The M10 was better. In my opinion the M11 is the best in this regard - equal to the M9 (all for DNG). But this is all a matter of taste. You can add contrast an clarity (=pop) easily in post production.

And one can adjust the contrast curve directly (not just contrast/clarity sliders) in seconds (including import settings).  No such thing as a camera necessarily having a flat, or steep, curve; that’s up to user choice.  Adobe/Leica changed the default contrast curve for the M10 Monochrom, presumably because of (ignorant) user complaints.  It’s still easily manipulated.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Excellent showcasing of the M11 potential. But shame on you for making me consider re-purchasing the 28 Lux M 😭😂

CAN'T wait to put the 28mm lux on the M11 tomorrow when it arrive with UPS 🤞

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

M11 & 35 Summilux

Must be a demonstration about the M11's hideous shutter noise...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 10

7 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

I've tried the 28 Lux on the M11 today. It's a match made in heaven (and this comes from someone who didn't like that lens on the sensor of the M10R). 
Enjoy! 

It's right now on the 10-R 99% of the time. 28mm lux is one og the best lenses of all time. 

4 hours ago, Athornton said:

The original was taken with the 28Lux, ISO64, f4.8, 1/160. 

And here is a crop.

Best regards,

Andrew

Lovely photo.

I would never have considered using a Lux for a landscape like this, but it performed flawlessly. 

The dynamic range of the sensor also impresses.

Although, ultimately, I expect the result is more due to your skill and technique than the equipment.

47 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

Thanks! Old lens. But old lens since to be reborn on the M11. Having a very positive experience in this regard so far, although more testing needs to be done. 

Would love to see someone shoot the re-issue or one of the original Noctilux 50 1.2 lenses on the M11.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dilo87 said:

The Images are pretty nice and it‘s probably also nice to have them in 60 MP but i am sure they would also look great on the existing Qs and previous M Generation.

Have to agree. So far, I don’t see anything staggeringly different from previous Leica platforms. I’m sure the M11 will capture images at the fringes of it’s DR and ISO envelope that aren’t possible with other cameras, but in the middle of the envelope, I don’t see a whole lot to be amaze about.

One as to consider the cost per image, something that we really don’t want to know, especially the unit cost with the actual number of views a image will get. 

Of course, buying cameras has nothing to do with practicality. The Leica world is about want, not need, and there is nothing wrong with that! 

21 minutes ago, Foxtwo said:

Have to agree. So far, I don’t see anything staggeringly different from previous Leica platforms. I’m sure the M11 will capture images at the fringes of it’s DR and ISO envelope that aren’t possible with other cameras, but in the middle of the envelope, I don’t see a whole lot to be amaze about.

One as to consider the cost per image, something that we really don’t want to know, especially the unit cost with the actual number of views a image will get. 

Of course, buying cameras has nothing to do with practicality. The Leica world is about want, not need, and there is nothing wrong with that! 

If the images from the GFX 100S (larger version of the same Sony sensor from the M11) are any indication, what you will see will be sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic. The biggest improvement moving to the 100mp BSI sensor over the 50mp FSI on the GFX was seeing the shadows retain much nicer color when lifted, as well as retaining much nicer color at high ISO. Also highlight recovery – feels like being in "God-mode" in a video game where your highlights can't be killed no matter how badly you overexpose the shot.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

@Artin I've been having fun too!

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Artin said:

No the only non Leica lens I have is the 21 mm Voightlander 1.4 asph  and that lens is just spectacular.  I would like to pick a 15mm up soon 

Try the 12 mm. I think it is better than the 15. 

37 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

@Artin I've been having fun too!

And what are your thoughts comparing it to Mono? Is there stil place for M10m or should I sell it?

P.S. Picture is just great! Emotions and 3d fill. Is it 35 Summilux?

Edited by Postelnikov