Anyone tempted to move to Fuji for JPEG’s?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/8/2022 at 2:46 PM, LondonL said:

A bit of background, I shoot with a Q-P, M10 and occasionally M6, but recently I’ve discovered the magic of Fuji ‘recipes’ on their X system cameras. The quality and rendering of the JPEG files is the best I’ve seen, in that it really does eliminate the need to shoot and post process a RAW file for everyday family photography. Simply pick a recipe you like for that day, shoot and you have some fantastic quality JPEG’s. 

Compare this with the Q-P, the quality of the JPEG images are just not comparable, but like many on here, we love the Leica for the simplicity, the lenses and the experience of making images which cannot be replicated by other brands. 

Has anyone used the Fuji’s with the jpeg recipes? What are your thoughts? Has it made you consider switching systems or adding a Fuji to the kit list?

Perhaps an X-100 would be a better compliment to the M10, ahead of the Q-P?

Puzzled.. If you make a preset to your taste in your postprocessing software,  there is no or minimal difference in workflow between raw or .jpg. Just import and hit the auto button, adjust exposure and crop - ready. And better than your OOC jpg.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:46 PM, LondonL said:

A bit of background, I shoot with a Q-P, M10 and occasionally M6, but recently I’ve discovered the magic of Fuji ‘recipes’ on their X system cameras. The quality and rendering of the JPEG files is the best I’ve seen, in that it really does eliminate the need to shoot and post process a RAW file for everyday family photography. Simply pick a recipe you like for that day, shoot and you have some fantastic quality JPEG’s. 

Compare this with the Q-P, the quality of the JPEG images are just not comparable, but like many on here, we love the Leica for the simplicity, the lenses and the experience of making images which cannot be replicated by other brands. 

Has anyone used the Fuji’s with the jpeg recipes? What are your thoughts? Has it made you consider switching systems or adding a Fuji to the kit list?

Perhaps an X-100 would be a better compliment to the M10, ahead of the Q-P?

on GFX and Xh-1 i love the acros-RED jpegs, and also classic chrome but usually use that on Raw files

the in-camera jpeg from the gfx is nothing like applying the acros from the LR or C1 menu...the feeling is simply not the same, even with grain and other stuff all switched off inside the camera

I had a Leica Q ... sold it, regretted it. I also had Fuji at that time.

Moved along with Fuji and now have an X-Pro 3 with two or three weather resist primes and the superb 16-55 WR lens .

Treated myself for this last Christmas and my birthday and bought a Leica Q2

Love them both ... and I've absolutely no idea what you should go for. But yes, the SOOC of the Fuji are superb.

But the Leica Q2 is very special in its own right 👍

I haven't helped have I 🤣

On 1/9/2022 at 6:50 PM, liggy said:

Fuji af has come a long way from the X-T10.  Not quite Sony level on average but pretty good.  And software companies have come a long way when it comes to working with X-Trans files.  The key to crisp jpegs on that sensor was to dial noise reduction all the way down. 

Unsure why you’d bring price up in the discussion though since we are in a Leica forum after all. The current  X-T30II is a fraction of what a Q2 costs and I bought my X-T10 new for well under $1,000 US.    😜

I bought my Q for 2'000$ (in near-mint condition) and paid over 1'000$ for the X-T10 with 18mm f/2 (I also had the 35/2, a 50mm, a 12mm, 12-24mm, etc. but that's not the point)

The X-T10 was a cropped sensor camera with very sub-par performance compared to my Canon EOS 60D that was already 5 years old at the time.
Compared to other APS-C cameras in the 1k$ price range, the Fuji just couldn't compete, especially not AF-wise.

That's all I'm saying.

I don't doubt that the current Fuji cameras can keep up with the Leica Q2 AF-wise. But I said that Fuji lost me back then, because they didn't appear to be willing to fix their issues.

Maybe I'll get an X-E6 some day when my Q stops working.. with a compact 18mm f/2 for travel.. or maybe I'll get a cheap Q2 when the Q3 releases..

5 hours ago, BradS said:

Yes...  I cannot be bothered to sit at a compute rand futz with image files so, the jpeg files straight from the camera have to be good or I'm really not interested in the camera. 

Yep - as good as Walmart prints used to be... ;)

• Like 4

Even my GFX 100S with all the Fujifilm sims – they are still better processed as RAF and then the sim applied in post. Much better. That said, I use their standard Provia sim both in-camera and in post 99% of the time. Same with Leica, I use the STD/Standard JPEG sim with my own customizations – I think the JPEGs it makes look as good as Provia does out of the Fujifilm cameras. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

I think switching or adding a Fuji just to experiment with OOC JPEG’s is an exercise I’m not willing to expense this moment in time. Some people rave about the output and others still say they need to use raw software.

I do wish the Q-P jpegs were a little better though, I don’t find them generally usable, but the positive side is that they do not need a lot of tweaking in post to get them to where I’m happy with them.

I was asked by a close friend to shoot his wedding a couple of months ago.  I told him I did not wish to be the official photog as my health is up and down.  Unfortunately, the weekend of his wedding I was having a bad time.  I used a Fuji X30, Q2, and Q2M.  They hired two photographers.  A young couple.   They ended up rather unimpressed with their main picture makers and spent quite a bit of money to receive only mundane snaps.  When my friend and his new bride saw my Fuji jpegs, they were overflowing with gratitude and admiration.  My little X30 does ok for a crop camera - within reason.  It was when they saw the Raw files from the Q’s did they go bananas.  They raved over and over and said the Q files were out of this world.  I made a 60x60 inch print on frosted glass for them as a present.  Jpegs are cool but with the Q’s it’s Raw all the way baby.

Edited by Leica28
Update
  • Like 2

I had the fuji X100v for a while and tried out  the simulations but in the end it was just so much easier to shoot in RAW than fiddle around with so many settings in camera.In Lightroom you can download them anyway and it was so much quicker and easier in post than messing around in camera.The Q2 jpegs are pretty good at low iso but really fall apart at higher iso's with far to much noise reduction even with sharpening set to minimum that they become unusable. I'll stick with DNG's and some presets in Lr Classic

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

I used a lot of fujis as secondary camera/system starting from original x100 and ending with t3

I never used JPEGs because all those fancy "looks" work only when light and white balance are in "ok" range, if something goes wrong - they also go wrong and the problem is that different presets go wrong in different ways. If you have some reflexes from grass on your kids face - you get hard-to-fix green face, if you have slightly yellow reflexes or shoot in odium-vapor lamps lightning (usual thing in cities at night) you are often stucked with grey skin and so on.

I actually used fuji x raw converter (it uses camera cpu for processing) before capture one integrated in-camera simulations, and c1 after that - that is more flexible approach because you can fix wb and balance shadows before preset is applied and it works much better in difficult situations

The only really good thing about fuji and presets is that they have much wider tolerance to source file so you have much more repeatable result in different locations/light schemes, but as there was already mentioned, fuji's source (raw) files are far from Q/Q2 ones so I gave up because all three ways of shooting with fuji that I used (presets bracketing, converting with presets via x raw converter and converting with presets via c1) actually required the same job as any-other-camera with processing files in too many situations and I never was sure enough that SOOC JPEGs will do the job at least on "fine" level

• Like 1

I've had 7 Fuji cameras, I still have a XH1 and XT20, they're probably the only other cameras I'd want. However, I prefer the jpegs from my Q2 (and my previous Q) to the Fuji's.  I've done shoot off's between them all and find everytime the Leica gave a more accurate rendition. Plus I find the Leica DNGs as easy to work as the Leica jpegs and definitely easier than the Fuji raw files which are a pain in the A*. I'm puzzled why Leica jpegs seem to receive criticism, I've found them to be just fine.  I love my Fujis but think the Fuji jpeg thing a bit of a myth.  

• Like 2

I've been a Fuji shooter since 2011. X100S ->XT1->X70->X100F

Yes I love Fuji JPGs. Acros form simulation is wonderful.  But, my X100F struggles a bit with focusing. Especially in low light. I went to a ice rink at night. Beautiful conditions. The Fuji was past its limit. 

On Tuesday I will be ordering a Q2M. A. low light monster compared to the Fuji. I cannot wait. 

I suspect my X100F will go to my daughter!

Monty

• Like 1

I owned an X100V last year as I picked it up for fun.  The simulations are kinda fun, but not as jpegs.  I did use them in post to work on the raws as a starting point for edits.  Sadly Adobe’s implementation doesn’t match that well, but I may try one again as I kinda regret selling it.  The only thing holding me back is that I mostly shoot monochrome digital and film and don’t enjoy converting color photos.