New Leica lens next week?

chrisvik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We all know the M11 will be announced next week. However, in one of the videos posted at Leica, Peter Karbe shows a table of lenses lined up. Considering he is the head lens designer, and not a camera designer, I suspect we will see a new lens announced too. It would also make sense considering the high resolution of new M cameras.The lenses on the table are blurred but seems to be 35/1.4, 28/1.4, 50/1.4, 75 APO, 90 APO and what looks like 135 APO in the background. Could it be that one of the summilux's becomes a new APO lens? He says "Friends, it's about time, watch this space" which hints to something that is either long overdue, or something people have been waiting/hoping for. My guess is a new 35 APO Summilux or a 35 Noctilux or a new 50 APO Summilux. (Could of course also just be that the spot is intended for the M11...)

Video at https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/m/what-makes-a-legend

Edited by chrisvik

25 minutes ago, Robert Blanko said:

Maybe Mr. Karbe’s successor started a new APO campaign for updated lenses creating ultimate crispness of our photos - starting with an APO Thambar… 😉

I would love to see a new 35/1.4.

Why?

16 hours ago, chrisvik said:

However, in one of the videos posted at Leica, Peter Karbe shows a table of lenses lined up. 

Video at https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/m/what-makes-a-legend

The video shows Andreas Kaufman, not Peter Karbe.

It would be interesting, to see a new lens announced, alongside the M11, but I am still trying to find a way to be able to afford a couple of lenses that are currently offered.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Artin said:

Is the Zeiss 35 1.4 that much better then the FLE ?

Most reviews have the lenses very close technically but on things like field curvature and distortion the zeiss is usually considered better.

The distagon is clearly bigger and the respective rendering subjective.

The size of the zeiss makes it unattractive v the summilux in my view although the price balances that somewhat.

22 hours ago, Artin said:

Is the Zeiss 35 1.4 that much better then the FLE ?

There is a very thorough comparison of the Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, and the Leica Summilux-M 35mm FLE, on Lloyd Chambers’ site, but one does have to pay to see it. I did pay, in order to confirm that I made a valid decision in buying my Distagon, and to help me decide whether to remain happy with the Distagon, or “upgrade” to an FLE. Well, I ultimately decided that I did not have a reason to acquire an FLE. It is not that the Distagon is “better” than the FLE, but that the Distagon has probably the better choice for the things I wanted to photograph with a 35mm lens. I like 35mm for dabbling with landscapes, to include urban landscapes, for example.

Plus, in my case, I had prior experience with Zeiss 135mm and 85mm DSLR lenses, including an Otus, so, the Zeiss “look” was not foreign to me. I do think that the Zeiss “micro-contrast” does exist. I believe that I do see it. (Notably, not all Zeiss lenses are known for this factor.)

This does not mean that Zeiss is always the better choice, for my shooting. I love the Walter Mandler visual signature, in an Elmarit-M 28mm version III. The Leica-M Summilux 50mm ASPH has the look that first lured me to trying the Leica M system. I have, since, added 50mm Summicron-M and Elmar-M lenses. I have no desire to acquire 28mm or 50mm Zeiss ZM lenses. 

Here is a you-tube video, that helped me decide to buy my Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM:

6 hours ago, andybarton said:

Leicarumors are calling a new Noctilux f1.0

It’s got “Leitz” written on the front ring, which seems a bit odd to me. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!