Nelson

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Redoing old images

Mahale Mountains, a decade ago. After the killing of the leader of the troop, Nelson was the senior member of the coalition that took his place.

Taking a break here.

DMR,  Apo-Telyt 180.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

As he walked close past, he did not make eye contact until too close to photograph. Meeting him was a privilege

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Excellent.  Was he in a refuge?

When poachers steal a chimp baby the entire clan comes together to try to protect it.  At that point poachers shoot all the chimps other than the babies.  One wishes the poachers would keep the babies to adulthood rather than sell them, and then be literally torn apart by them.  They are incredibly strong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuny said:

When poachers steal a chimp baby the entire clan comes together to try to protect it.  At that point poachers shoot all the chimps other than the babies.  One wishes the poachers would keep the babies to adulthood rather than sell them, and then be literally torn apart by them.  They are incredibly strong.

I have no problem with poachers being shot on sight. They are the scum of the earth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuny said:

No - Mahale Mountains is a National Park (well-protected and quite inaccessible except by boat from the lake). On Lake Tanganyika, opposite the Congo.   It is one of the last places for wild Chimpanzees, about 900 left.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, fotografr said:

Just curious, how was the troop leader killed? Also, was Nelson avoiding eye contact because it would be perceived as a threat?

It was a regicide - he was a despot and the stronger males formed a coalition and killed him.
I don't think that he saw it as a threatening  situation- they are well habituated by the Japanese research team since 1960. I like to interpret it as respect. As a matter of fact he brushed past me - although one should attempt to avoid all physical contact to prevent disease transmission, I could not avoid it.

• Like 1