Hipsters' interest in film cameras

Ornello

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ornello said:

I am not obsessed with them. Where did you get that idea?

All of this discussion about hipsters reminds me of the monk in the silent order (except for one sentence every 7 years) who left the monastery because there was 'too much arguing about the porridge'. 

Maybe we could do the usual 'off topic' thing on this thread and divert it to a discussion about the number of blacksmiths using film cameras? To my mind it is about as relevant as the hipster business.

William 

9 hours ago, willeica said:

Maybe we could do the usual 'off topic' thing on this thread and divert it to a discussion about....

Already did that - turntables and vinyl recordings - Jaap "amputated" that part as a separate thread earlier. ;)

Anyway - some people are taking an interest in film again.

Some of them are so self-involved that they don't accept experienced advice on the subject (hmmm - where else have I read a lot of that lately? ;) ) And some aren't.

I'm not sure I could tell a hipster if I saw one - they are, by definition, non-conformists (even though sometimes conformists in their non-conformity.)

My local photo shop has a diverse group of patrons - and quiet a few, since it is the only serious new/used-gear shop in a metro area of about 3 million (and has a rare  * * * * *  rating from yelp!): https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Camera+Store&find_loc=Denver%2C+CO

Some are formal students, some exploring film on their own. Some know what they are doing - and some don't. Some are young, and some are old. Pretty much like every decent independent camera store I've visited since about 1971. ;)

Edited by adan

5 hours ago, adan said:

Already did that - turntables and vinyl recordings - Jaap "amputated" that part as a separate thread earlier. ;)

Now we can have both, well shellac and hipsters. Here is Harry the Hipster Gibson with 'Who Put The Benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine' from 1944. There is nothing new under the sun.

I wonder what kind of camera he used?

William 

7 hours ago, adan said:

I'm not sure I could tell a hipster if I saw one - they are, by definition, non-conformists (even though sometimes conformists in their non-conformity.)

I have a beard, piercings, tattoos. I also wear blazers, vests, nice shoes. Do I qualify as a hipster? Or am I a dandy? Maybe I'm bohemian? Or beatnik? 🤔

Anyway, as long as I'm not a hippie I'm good. I hate hippies.

I do not hate hippies and do not hate hipster. But i avoid to get too close to the latter. But i am happy if their passion for film is no hay fire and will keeps for longer period than so many other trends. Hopefully they help to bring back the Roll 120er Kodak Portra below 10€…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I have a beard, piercings, tattoos. I also wear blazers, vests, nice shoes. Do I qualify as a hipster? Or am I a dandy? Maybe I'm bohemian? Or beatnik? 🤔

Anyway, as long as I'm not a hippie I'm good. I hate hippies.

I hear ya, brother!

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/61zaws/south-park-hippie-infestation

I live in one of the hip(ster)est neighborhoods in Seattle. I carry an M-A everywhere. I drink local craft beer. I have a beard. I wear selvedge denim, flannel shirts, workboots, and waxed cotton jackets. I would probably be considered a hipster if I wasn't an overweight 50 year old dude. :)

I *think* the OP is trying to say that maybe hipsters that pick up film cameras will drop them like a hot potato once they sense film has become too mainstream and lost its cachet. The downside being that the recent resurgence in film popularity may not be long-lasting and may disappear without warning.

3 minutes ago, malligator said:

I live in one of the hip(ster)est neighborhoods in Seattle. I carry an M-A everywhere. I drink local craft beer. I have a beard. I wear selvedge denim, flannel shirts, workboots, and waxed cotton jackets. I would probably be considered a hipster if I wasn't an overweight 50 year old dude. :)

I *think* the OP is trying to say that maybe hipsters that pick up film cameras will drop them like a hot potato once they sense film has become too mainstream and lost its cachet. The downside being that the recent resurgence in film popularity may not be long-lasting and may disappear without warning.

Yes, you are the one who understands my concern!

1 hour ago, malligator said:

Without the hipsters dropping their money on film instead of moustache wax, you wouldn't even have the resurgence in film popularity we have been enjoying until now, and probably even less film stock available. 

11 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Without the hipsters dropping their money on film instead of moustache wax, you wouldn't even have the resurgence in film popularity we have been enjoying until now, and probably even less film stock available. 

I know. That's what I said.

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

It's hard to quantify. Perhaps they use only a small percentage of overall sales.