hand grip on SL2-S

kengai

11 minutes ago, trickness said:

Depends on your use case. Adds weight & bulk to the body which is already substantial. Do you need extra battery capacity and ability to have a better grip vertically? 

to shoot vertically with the camera on the tripod, do you need the hand grip?

thanks in the meantime for the indications.

Always depends on your personal use case. For me personally, I got the handgrip because I often have to shoot vertically and prefer to have a button layout for that since I am used to bodies having an integrated vertical grip (and because I have rather large hands). The additional bonus of the second battery compartment slot came in handy as well. Just note that Leica really f***** up because you can't put two batteries in the grip as traditionally with other external battery grips from other manufacturers and no, the camera does not work if you just put a single battery in the grip and none in the camera itself. Really big drawback imho due to bad weight distribution and because you have to remove the whole grip again if you want to change the battery in the camera.

I just haven't found a good L-plate so far for the SL2/SL-2 with the grip mounted. If someone of you has one, please let me know.

Edited by feelssadman
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

since there are not much information out there here are some benefits and  drawbacks.

+ 2nd battery

- one battery alway in the camera, one battery on the grip.

- Often the camera battery discharges quicken the grip battery, you need to take grip off to change internal battery.

- you need more then 2 batteries since they discharge at the same time.

- you can not swop grip battery without shutting down camera. as soon you take out battery the camera goes off. No continues power for time-lapse and Long video.

+ 2nd battery gives camera more power allowing you to overcome power limitation in 4K and Burst shooting.

+ no more power error when using Sigma and Panasonic Lenses that require more power.

- the grip shutter Botton has a total different feel and sound from the camera one.

- the contact covers get easily lost even when there is a place to store them.

all and all the benefits are limited.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I have one and shoot it with my sl2-s for portraits and the extra battery.  I do not shoot with it on my sl2 since that one normally has a tripod plate and is my main rig for tripod photos using multishot.  

I think the grip is good to have depending on the assignment.  but using the two front quick function buttons is not practical when shooting with the grip vertically.  so if you use them a lot, probably better to just shoot with the regular built in grip and skip the vertical grip.

Robb

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Photoworks said:

since there are not much information out there here are some benefits and  drawbacks.

+ 2nd battery

- one battery alway in the camera, one battery on the grip.

- Often the camera battery discharges quicken the grip battery, you need to take grip off to change internal battery.

- you need more then 2 batteries since they discharge at the same time.

- you can not swop grip battery without shutting down camera. as soon you take out battery the camera goes off. No continues power for time-lapse and Long video.

+ 2nd battery gives camera more power allowing you to overcome power limitation in 4K and Burst shooting.

+ no more power error when using Sigma and Panasonic Lenses that require more power.

- the grip shutter Botton has a total different feel and sound from the camera one.

all and all the benefits are limited.

Agree. I had the grip & returned it. I find it far easier & quicker to have a couple of spare batteries handy & replace them as needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information/feedback! I am interested in the grip but not totally sure it would be worthwhile.

For (occassional) tripod work I have an RRS L mount which works great. But for music events, candid portraits I would like to try a grip and see how it feels. I probably would only use it for special events so am not too worried about it only having one battery, nor having to remove it to change the in-camera battery. I find myself shooting more and more in portrait and, being left-eyed, it gets a bit fiddly - in particular getting access to the BBF joystick which would be in a better place with the grip.

good point robb on the front quick function buttons, but I use those fairly rarely (one is set to exposure comp - I usually shoot manual exposure at events; the other to manual focus zoom).

I have managed for 20+ years without a grip so definitely not a requirement; I do wonder if I would use it enough to justify the expense (and I guess these are not so quick to sell second hand) but am tempted to give it a go.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:08 PM, Photoworks said:

There is a place in the grip to store both covers.

22 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

I don't agree with the engineering of leicas grip.

I don't even understand how they could take such a design decision.

I wish the grip was shaped better.  It's not that easy to adjust the front finger wheel on the grip.  Reaching the shutter button on the vertical grip seems fine... I think the cover storage is fine, although I didn't realize that was set up for that initially.  I guess I didn't read the manual.  :)

Robb

On 1/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, robb said:

The wheels on the vertical grip match your set up for the custom dials when using the camera horizontally.

Robb

Mine arrived today; I hadn't realised from the product shots and description that it had two dials, makes sense now :)

First impression from taking some candid portraits of my daughter, I really like it - no more crab-claw-hand for photoshoots! I definitely won't use it for casual photography, too much extra bulk, but I can't wait to give it a whirl next time I have a gig to shoot!

• 11 months later...

Well I've had this handgrip for a full year and (apart from playing with it at home a couple of times) have not used it at all. Looks like I got an expensive case of G.A.S :)

I think it is pretty well designed and implemented but adds extra bulk (does not fit in most of my camera bags) and normally I travel to photography gigs on foot/public transport so I travel as light as possible.

I'll probably sell it (but whenever I dig it out with that in mind I end up deciding to keep it for a while :D)

• Haha 1