Does anyone know why the new creative cloud no longer supports Mojave, which is less than 3 years old?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had to stick with Mojave because I need to use FlexColor to run my X5 scanner for my studio, and until recently, that was not an issue. I currently use a lightroom catalog on an external drive that I move between work and home, where I have a Mac Mini running Monterey. Without thinking much about it, I upgraded to the new lightroom at home, which updated my catalog. I also wanted to do it, as the new version supported the Ricoh GRIIIx, which I have.

So, I was a little surprised and frustrated when I got to work and was unable to update to the latest CC apps on my Mojave work computer, nor would the older version of Lightroom access the now upgraded catalog.

I am waiting to take delivery of a new Macbook Pro which will replace both computers as a the main computer, but I will still have to keep the old one to run the scanner.

From people who are more attuned to the software world, why is Adobe doing this? It seems very customer unfriendly to drop support for an operating system which is less than 3 years old. I know the story about the 32bit thing, but I still think it is absurd that there is seemingly no way to run a tiny, simple program like Flexcolor on a modern mac. Not through emulation, or anything (I have tried a few different options and none have worked). But 32 bit is at least legitimately old...FlexColor has not been updated in over a decade. But Mojave was the state of the art until June 2019, and now you can't even use it? What gives?

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is it’s because Mojave was a 32 bit operating system, the last 32 bit version of Mac OS. I’m assuming that the newer creative cloud app is 64 bit only, but that does surprise me, because, as you say, the operating systems are only a few years old. I guess it’s on a surprising for Adobe, but it’s a pretty customer hostile decision to make.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

I have had to stick with Mojave because I need to use FlexColor to run my X5 scanner for my studio, and until recently, that was not an issue. I currently use a lightroom catalog on an external drive that I move between work and home, where I have a Mac Mini running Monterey. Without thinking much about it, I upgraded to the new lightroom at home, which updated my catalog. I also wanted to do it, as the new version supported the Ricoh GRIIIx, which I have.

So, I was a little surprised and frustrated when I got to work and was unable to update to the latest CC apps on my Mojave work computer, nor would the older version of Lightroom access the now upgraded catalog.

I am waiting to take delivery of a new Macbook Pro which will replace both computers as a the main computer, but I will still have to keep the old one to run the scanner.

From people who are more attuned to the software world, why is Adobe doing this? It seems very customer unfriendly to drop support for an operating system which is less than 3 years old. I know the story about the 32bit thing, but I still think it is absurd that there is seemingly no way to run a tiny, simple program like Flexcolor on a modern mac. Not through emulation, or anything (I have tried a few different options and none have worked). But 32 bit is at least legitimately old...FlexColor has not been updated in over a decade. But Mojave was the state of the art until June 2019, and now you can't even use it? What gives?

Won't it run under Rosetta2?