Photoshop Plugin for 35/50/75mm crops of 28mm Q2 images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are different options in Photoshop to crop a Q2 28mm image to the exact 35/50/75mm dimensions. Here is one option more: a plugin for Photoshop v23 (see image #1).

If an image in the 28mm dimensions is opened (image #2) one can press one of the focal length buttons (1) to create a selection (3). 35mm portrait ouf of a landscape image is not possible (and other way round), therefore the 35mm button is disabled. The selection can be moved around. When the correct position is found, the Crop button (2) does the crop. The Deselect button does the deselect and the Undo/Redo buttons do what they usually do.

If an image is not in the 28mm dimensions, all buttons are disabled (image 3) with the exception of the Undo/Redo buttons.

If a selection is done with the plugin, the selection can be resized to any other dimensions outside of the plugin using Photoshop's Selection>Transform.

There is (at least) one issue: if a 28mm image is rotated (e. g. to straighten the horizon) but not cropped yet, the work space is larger than 8368 x 5584. I haven't found a way to handle this, so the plugin is working for dimensions larger than 8368 x 5584. The plugin will do a crop in the correct dimensions though.

Feel free to download and use the attached .ccx file. Just double click  after the download. The plugin will be available in Photoshop after the next start of Photoshop. To deinstall use Plug-ins>Manage Plug-ins in Photoshop.

I did some testing but please be aware that you use it at own risk. The plugin does not save anything, it just do the crop. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Reiner

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

525d7e14_PS.ccx

• Like 1

I'm a bit baffled, don't people crop simply to improve the composition and not to conform to a pre-set focal length? My point being if you have a 28mm image with somebody's elbow sticking into the corner of a frame and you crop it exactly to mimic 35mm it doesn't mean that some other random annoyance isn't going to manifest itself. Since Photoshop can crop keeping the original aspect ratio (or crop freeform or to other aspect ratios) and mimic any arbitrary focal length isn't the photographers eye better at choosing how much to crop an image and not an app? Or is this app simply for the sake of formality? 

• Like 1

I am German, so I have to stick to the rules 😁

No, you are absolutely right, composition matters. I wanted to learn Adobe's new UXP technology and found this crop plugin a halfway interesting topic to start with.

Edited by reinerv
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:18 AM, reinerv said:

There are different options in Photoshop to crop a Q2 28mm image to the exact 35/50/75mm dimensions. Here is one option more: a plugin for Photoshop v23 (see image #1).

If an image in the 28mm dimensions is opened (image #2) one can press one of the focal length buttons (1) to create a selection (3). 35mm portrait ouf of a landscape image is not possible (and other way round), therefore the 35mm button is disabled. The selection can be moved around. When the correct position is found, the Crop button (2) does the crop. The Deselect button does the deselect and the Undo/Redo buttons do what they usually do.

If an image is not in the 28mm dimensions, all buttons are disabled (image 3) with the exception of the Undo/Redo buttons.

If a selection is done with the plugin, the selection can be resized to any other dimensions outside of the plugin using Photoshop's Selection>Transform.

There is (at least) one issue: if a 28mm image is rotated (e. g. to straighten the horizon) but not cropped yet, the work space is larger than 8368 x 5584. I haven't found a way to handle this, so the plugin is working for dimensions larger than 8368 x 5584. The plugin will do a crop in the correct dimensions though.

Feel free to download and use the attached .ccx file. Just double click  after the download. The plugin will be available in Photoshop after the next start of Photoshop. To deinstall use Plug-ins>Manage Plug-ins in Photoshop.

I did some testing but please be aware that you use it at own risk. The plugin does not save anything, it just do the crop. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Reiner

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

525d7e14_PS.ccx 8.78 kB · 0 downloads

so if the exif data says 28mm, it will work?

Edited by frame-it