Leica M8 vs Leica CL - which would you chose and why?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica M8 vs Leica CL - which would you chose and why?

renderTimingPixel.png

I have an opportunity to pick up a used Leica M8 with below 11.000 shutter actuations or a used Leica CL (modern digital L-mount version) for approx the same price - the M8 is about 150 dollars more than the CL.

Which one would you chose and why - Pros/Cons about both and how accessible are M-mount lenses to the M8?

If I buy the M8 I will at the beginning look for cheap vintage lenses, I love vintage lenses. If I go for the CL I will look for cheap Sigma lenses to begin with.

I come from using a micro four thirds Olympus Pen-F so it will feel like a step up either way I believe.

I have just always wanted to become a Leica owner, I just love the brand, the style, the history, the build quality and the images they produce and I want that one camera that I will keep forever and treasure, but I need a little help deciding which one to choose. My main interest is family photos and street photography and I love BW photos. 

Edited by kasperthorkris

The CLno question. The M8 is only partially serviceable and will become less so in the future The CL is a current camera with a modern sensor which plays just as well with M lenses as with TL ones ( and a host of other ones.) 

• Like 2

jaapv

Thanks for fast reply. I can see the benifits of the CL as you say and it's modern capabilites. Also it has video recording and no concern for shutter life. I have however heard about that famous "Leica look". Is it kind of a hoax or have you been able to produce similar look with a CL? Also what do you mean with 'partially servicable'? 

You never need to use the video, If youndon't select it, you'll never know it is there. what is the problem?? And shutter life?? What do you mean? The Leica look is a bit of a Chimera and anything you like to make of it... If anything, it is imparted by the lens and not by the camera.

The M8 is from 2006 and Leica has not got all parts any more. That means that they will repair what they can and for the rest you are out in the woods. A digital camera has a service life of about ten years after production end