Leica S CS lenses on SL2 with leaf shutter full functions

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Besides cannibalizing S3 sales…

I think it would make sense to offer a full function adapter that could allow the Cs leaf shutter to work with the Sl2 cameras.

Leica would sell bunch more S lenses for those that like shooting strobes and environmental portraits.  

what are the technical hangups that would cause issue with this vs just separate product lines or dollars?  

Robb

I think it could be related to battery power (not necessarily capacity, but power delivery?) as the S battery is quite a bit bigger than the SL batteries. Another issue would be that there might be a difficulty with the syncing process. The process on the S is that the focal plane shutter and mirror raise, the leaf shutter fires, and then the focal plane shutter and mirror close again. On the SL, they might need to program that in via firmware, as it would probably not work out of the box. Additionally, you would probably have to have some way to indicate to the SL body that it should use the leaf shutter, as all the lenses with central shutters also need to be able to be used normally for faster speeds, like the FPS/CS switch on the S series. That is a hard switch on the S, but it would have to be a switch on either the adapter or some firmware fix on the SL. The sync of course has to be very accurate and reliable in order to work properly.

I imagine it is possible, but it is probably a bit tricky and would be expensive to make everything play well together. After all, the S lenses don't even have AF available on any L mount bodies except the SLs.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Thanks 2