Stolen Leica M9 in Barcelona

Han_vd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for writing some sad news in my first post here! I brought my Leica M9 (serial no. 3972707) on a Christmas trip to Barcelona but the camera was stolen (with the Biogon 35 f2 lens attached) in a blink of eye during my dinner at the restaurant Orvay near Passeig del Born.  I've reported to the local police and informed Leica as well in the hope that they could help recover the camera in any way. 

It is an extremely frustrating experience as this was my first Leica which I took with me alomost everywhere, plus I absolutely loved the unique CCD rendering of colour. It is even more sad thinking I saved up very hard for the camera by assisting the teaching of multiple courses at my university...

I'm eternally grateful to anyone who provides information on the camera! 

Thank you to everyone who'd be able to help in anyway! Also hope everyone takes care of their camera as it's really painful to let it go that way when you loved it!

Barcelona is NOTORIOUS (has been for years) for stealing camera gear, some thieves target Leicas (they know them very VERY well) specifically and they are the world's fastest runners.

The problem is that under Spanish law, if you steal something worth less than 400 euros it’s a misdemeanour, not a crime. If you are caught, you will be fined somewhere around €50 and as many times you re-offend, it remains a non-cumulative misdemeanour. Nobody can prove that a used camera is worth more than 400 euros.

As a result, the thieves, who mostly operate in groups, prefer this to honest working. So until the legislation changes (it is not going anywhere atm) Barcelona is one city where your Leica should be heavily taped or cuffed to your hands OR left at home.

The Barcelona "how not to get robbed" rules: No loose cameras over shoulder. No handbags. Never leave a backpack or a bag on the floor in a cafe/restaurant or items on the table. Use money belts for keys, cards and cash. Never stop if anyone asks for directions, or if anyone offers to remove bird poop from you. Never take a wallet out in the street. Never have a wallet or a phone in your back or jacket pockets. Beware of small groups of men pushing around you, they are making a diversion. NEVER CHASE A MUGGER!!!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

The Barcelona "how not to get robbed" rules: No loose cameras over shoulder. No handbags. Never leave a backpack or a bag on the floor in a cafe/restaurant or items on the table. Use money belts for keys, cards and cash. Never stop if anyone asks for directions, or if anyone offers to remove bird poop from you. Never take a wallet out in the street. Never have a wallet or a phone in your back or jacket pockets. Beware of small groups of men pushing around you, they are making a diversion. NEVER CHASE A MUGGER!!!

Many thanks for these! This is my first trip to Barcelona and it has definitely taught me a very hard lesson. Yes, I put the camera bag on floor beside my leg after ordering and soon noticed it's gone right after the food came... I've been looking at many posts about their valuables/documents stolen in Barcelona, some including the residence permit issued by other countries (like the one for the UK) so people simply get stuck in Barcelona. I would have left the Leica at home had I known how professional the thieves are!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Han_vd said:

Sorry for writing some sad news in my first post here! I brought my Leica M9 (serial no. 3972707) on a Christmas trip to Barcelona but the camera was stolen (with the Biogon 35 f2 lens attached) in a blink of eye during my dinner at the restaurant Orvay near Passeig del Born.  I've reported to the local police and informed Leica as well in the hope that they could help recover the camera in any way. 

It is an extremely frustrating experience as this was my first Leica which I took with me alomost everywhere, plus I absolutely loved the unique CCD rendering of colour. It is even more sad thinking I saved up very hard for the camera by assisting the teaching of multiple courses at my university...

Thank you to everyone who'd be able to help in anyway! Also hope everyone takes care of their camera as it's really painful to let it go that way when you loved it!

Very sorry to hear about the sad story! Hopefully you will get some further info in the future.

What I was told during my trip to Barcelona a couple years ago was to never ever allow unrecognized people to approach you, always keep a distance with people. That's exactly what I did. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Han_vd  Sorry to hear about the loss of your M9 and lens - this incident has got to be very disheartening.   It is very unfortunate that some "people" think it's okay to steal from others, but they do.  I hope your M9 will somehow find its way back to you but I would have my doubts about the local police making this crime a priority.  

If you contact Leica in Wetzlar, you can report your camera and lens as stolen.  Leica keeps a registry of stolen cameras and lenses along with their serial numbers.  If either shows up in Wetzlar, they will get in touch with you to return your camera and lens.  I have never had the misfortune of needing to report a camera or lens as stolen, but that is my understanding of Leica's efforts to reunite stolen cameras and lenses with their rightful owner.

Edited by Herr Barnack

5 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

If you contact Leica in Wetzlar, you can report your camera and lens as stolen

Thank you! Yes, I've sent them the serial no. of the camera and lens so hopefully they could register those for me. Hope the camera will reroute to me someway.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, Al Brown said:

Never travel to Barcelona.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1