Buying new lenses from Hong Kong

Dsauro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone

I was looking through "new" Leica Lens inventory from my favorite local camera store.  As I identified a targeted "wish list" lens, my Microsoft edge popped up with a message suggesting that I could purchase that same lens at about a 30% discount via Ebay.  I went to the Ebay sight and saw that this is a new lens from a Hong Kong seller with 100% positive feedback.

I like to support my local dealers and hesitant to purchase through this marketing channel, but wondered if anyone has had good/bad experiences by purchasing from HK that they would be comfortable in sharing?

Cheers

You can always buy stuff cheaper from a box shifter, but the value in a good relationship is worth far more than the savings. Yes, I do buy 2nd hand stuff from other places, but new lenses and cameras I buy from one of my two regular dealers. If something goes wrong, they will go out of their way to get it fixed and will even offer free loan equipment. I think I have saved money by paying more (or in realistic terms, I have spent less than I might have by buying the cheapest). 

• Like 1

30% off is a lot of money.  Say you're looking at a $5000 Summilux, is the value of a dealer relationship worth $1500.  Not an easy call by any stretch of the imagination.  My concern would be about getting a rotten-egg and your ability/cost of retuning it, etc.

Edited by Danner
  • Like 1

I have bought Leica M lenses, cameras and Visoflex 020 directly from HK dealers (not via eBay, but directly from the dealers via their website) and they are excellent. As you note, prices are a lot lower compared to the inflated prices here in the USA. Not sure what the latest situation is with Trump Tax on German lenses - I heard they are on hold now, but best to check.  

I also purchased a few SL Summicron primes from Austria at a significantly lower price and they arrived in 3 days. Brand new, sealed with full warranty. Now the prices at that particular dealer seemed to have crept up though.

HK remains by far the best place for Leica purchases - I would have made the trip there were it not for covid.

Edited by ravinj
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Danner said:

30% off is a lot of money.  Say you're looking at a $5000 Summilux, is the value of a dealer relationship worth $1500.  Not an easy call by any stretch of the imagination.  My concern would be about getting a rotten-egg and your ability/cost of retuning it, etc.

Buying from an unknown dealer is a throw of the dice.  If all goes well, it is worth the risk.  If the deal blows up in your face, the $1500 saved will not ease the pain of a deal gone bad. 

There is a saying about gambling:  Don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose.  That is applicable here too, it seems.

JMHO.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

I have purchased many Leica items from Danny at All Good Friend Camera over the years. He is incredibly polite, prices are a big savings over US and the shipments arrive in 3 days and not one issue ever. I have also sold him some of my vintage lenses and he wired the money into my bank account sometimes and others he sent via PayPal. I would recommend this shop.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:35 AM, insideline said:

I have purchased many Leica items from Danny at All Good Friend Camera over the years. He is incredibly polite, prices are a big savings over US and the shipments arrive in 3 days and not one issue ever. I have also sold him some of my vintage lenses and he wired the money into my bank account sometimes and others he sent via PayPal. I would recommend this shop.

Agreed, Danny is the best! Him and rangefinder.hk are the most polite and friendly dealers in HK

• Thanks 1

Dsauro,   You will find the dealers in Hong Kong such as H&K and All Good Friends etc will be OK.  I have friends here in Australia that buy from them and it works out for them.  But, you will often do better if you go directly to their websites vs eBay due to the fees they pass on to clients.  The direct sites are even better.  BUT...there is a lot to be said about buying from your area dealer.  If you order out of state there is no sales tax depending who and where you place your order.  Camera West comes to mind in Rancho Mirage.  Also, the local area dealer will be more prone to get any issue resolved quickly for you if buy from them.  Last, I see you have some very good photographs recently posted on the S image thread.  Red Rock Canyon is a great place to photograph in the winter.  With Valley of Fire, Death Valley and Grand Canyon neck and neck in the dramatic winter landscape photography.  Keep creating. r/ Mark 

Edited by LeicaR10

I live in Hong Kong. I buy from Alex at Rangefinder HK, and from Gilbert at Fotopia, and have known both for about 9 years. Both are good guys who know their stuff. Alex is particularly good at sourcing new items, and Gilbert is a real expert in vintage. Gilbert also offers good terms, I think, for selling consignment items - I've sold many items through him when I've changed my set up. 

M&K Kamera and All Good Friend Camera are also reputable dealers in HK. 

It's a really open market, so once an item has been in the catalogue a long time (let's say 50mm Summilux-M ASPH), the discount is usually very good. On the other hand, if you want something in high demand and short supply (let's say 35mm APO-Summicron-M ASPH) then you can get it, but you pay a premium over the retail list price. 

• Like 1

Fotopia sells used gear and will take returns if there’s a problem. No risk. I tend to recommend these guys. M&K is reliable for both new and used. These two dealers have been around for a long time and have stellar rep.  Rangefinder.HK sells brand new grey market gear. I only bought a Leica battery from them. They are not a walk in retailer, and more of a supplier to other dealers and of course sells online. I have never dealt with All Good Friends. 

• 3 months later...

I just had a bad experience with a Hong Kong Ebay store called SHINPU-LABO. I would like to advise the forum to never deal with them. They play games and try to switch product after promising a good deal on their lenses.

I have had great buys from Rangefinder and from AGFCAMERA, also known as All good Friend Camera. I would trust Danny at agfcamera anytime.

Just wanting to let you all know.