Leica Q2 Digital Zoom Presets for DXO Photolab 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I posted earlier a question about whether or not there are any Image editors other than Lightroom that import the Digital Zoom information into DNG processing.

I've created a set of DxO presets that I've created that will do this in PhotoLab 5. There are two types of preset, the first,  eg "Q2 75mm (DXO Standard)" apply the DXO Standard preset plus the crop. The second, eg "Q2 75mm (Crop Only)" applies the crop only.

It is best to apply them to a DNG that was originally taken with the corresponding camera Digital Zoom active as that will ensure the exposure is set for the cropped region only.

I established the crop region pixel dimensions by looking at the camera cropped JPG images.

Once imported you can add them to a new Presets folder in DxO and that will make it easier to see the effects when browsing the presets. I did this in PhotoLab 5 ELITE, so I'm not sure if this is possible with the basic version.

I'm new to the Q2 and not well versed in post processing so any advice gratefully received.

Q2 75mm (Crop Only).preset Q2 75mm (DXO Standard).preset Q2 50mm (DXO Standard).preset Q2 50mm (Crop Only).preset Q2 35mm (DXO Standard).preset Q2 35mm (Crop Only).preset

Edited by Corius

• Corius changed the title to Leica Q2 Digital Zoom Presets for DXO Photolab 5

unfortunately these won't import into photolab 4 elite. in your research did you find out if the dxo crop unrestrained mode recovers the pixels from the full frame image? i understand photoshop will show the entire raw image, but i can't quite tell if dxo does or not by toggling back and forth between default and unrestrained crop modes.

/guy

The standard behaviour, using the automatically installed Q2 DxO camera and lens profiles shows an optically corrected image of size 8368x5584 as per the Q2 specs. If you turn off "Distortion" then you get an image of size 8798x5584, ie more pixels horizontally,  with no distortion but significant vignetting in the corners (I measured these figures, as you suggest, using an unconstrained crop).

I believe that the actual Q2 sensor pixel count is even larger than this and can be viewed in Capture One (although not sure why you would want to do this)

I guess the important thing is that the standard corrections in DxO do provide the pixels as per the spec with the distortion and vignetting removed. ie the way Leica intended

• Like 1

DxO PhotoLab 5  has several distortion 'modes' that produce the following resolutions (output is linear DNG):

DNG in LrC (original): 5584 x 8368

DxO PL, Distortion off (vignetting visible): 5584 x 8368.

DxO PL, Distortion on, Keep aspect ratio off: 5584 x 8798.

DxO PL, Distortion on, Keep aspect ratio on: 5584 x 8368 (my default).

DxO PL generates files that have a bit wider angle of view than LrC's import or what Q2's EVF shows.

Original EXIF specifies Q2's raw image as 5632 x 8424.

Edited by SrMi