New sl2-s owner (to-be). Voigtlander Ultron 35 1.7

Mikeksl2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all! 

I'm a Long time Sony shooter making the transition to Leica. I have an SL2-S / with a Leica 24-70 on order along with with a Leica m to l mount adapter.  I'm considering ordering a Voigtlander Ultron 35 1.7 and was wandering if anyone in the group has experience with this lens on the sl2-s.

Thanks in advance! 

Mike

12 hours ago, Mikeksl2 said:

Hello all! 

I'm a Long time Sony shooter making the transition to Leica. I have an SL2-S / with a Leica 24-70 on order along with with a Leica m to l mount adapter.  I'm considering ordering a Voigtlander Ultron 35 1.7 and was wandering if anyone in the group has experience with this lens on the sl2-s.

Thanks in advance! 

Mike

Welcome to the Forum Mike. I have the Voigtlander Ultron 35 f1.7 which I use mainly on my Leica Monochrom 1 & M10.

I've used it on the SL2-S only a few times, here's a recent image I took with the SL2-S. Shot at f1.7 ISO400 1/80s. The lens is very sharp wide open & transition from in focus to out of focus areas is smooth. The lighting wasn't ideal - tungsten lighting from an overhead light fitting, which I corrected in PS.

I've also taken another image for you see next thread.  

Hope this helps.

(click on the image for better res.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SL2-S & Voigtlander Ultron 35 f1.7 w/Leica M-L adapter  f5.6 ISO200 1/30s  

@ f5.6 the lens is sharp from corner to corner. The detail captured on the Water Buffalo carving is excellent. (I use this wretched skull which someone gave me years ago 🙄, to test lenses from time to time).

IMO it's an excellent lens & about  as good as anything Leica produces, at a fraction of the price. This is true for most Voigtlander lenses, as well as many of the Sigma L mount lenses.

Edited by michali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here a shot with that combo. It’s a brilliant lens, sharper than my 35 Summilux FLE. 

If I remember correctly this is wide open at f1.7

Edited by Ba Erv
  • Like 10

48 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Here a shot with that combo. It’s a brilliant lens, sharper than my 35 Summilux FLE. 

If I remember correctly this is wide open at f1.7

Wonderful photo! I'm even closer to ordering this lens. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another soon- to- be SL2S user.  I love Voigtlander glass and have a couple I use on my Z bodies.  Just purchased the 35/2 APO, 50/2 APO, and 75/1.5 in m mounts.  I’m keeping my Z bodies especially the 47MP Z7.  I shoot manual focus primes (mostly Zeiss glass) on the Z’s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manual_Focus said:

... I shoot manual focus primes (mostly Zeiss glass) on the Z’s.

Love Zeiss glass.  I have the entire set of loxias for my a7r/a7r2 and using the loxias is what got me into Leica.  Love the loxias, but something about the a7r's just didn't do it for me anymore.  I will be selling the loxias to fund more m mount or sl lenses.  Which kind of makes me sad, but I'm looking forward to the change. 

On 1/2/2022 at 12:34 PM, michali said:

SL2-S & Voigtlander Ultron 35 f1.7 w/Leica M-L adapter  f5.6 ISO200 1/30s  

@ f5.6 the lens is sharp from corner to corner. The detail captured on the Water Buffalo carving is excellent. (I use this wretched skull which someone gave me years ago 🙄, to test lenses from time to time).

IMO it's an excellent lens & about  as good as anything Leica produces, at a fraction of the price. This is true for most Voigtlander lenses, as well as many of the Sigma L mount lenses.

Agree! Recently bought the Voigt 50 APO in mount and it is stunning on the M10-R. Only thing I would caution that not all Voigtlander lenses perform equally well on both the M and SL. the Voigt 50 APO is one of them. Fred Miranda has done some extensive testing on this front and it is well worth the read.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:12 PM, Mikeksl2 said:

Love Zeiss glass.  I have the entire set of loxias for my a7r/a7r2 and using the loxias is what got me into Leica.  Love the loxias, but something about the a7r's just didn't do it for me anymore.  I will be selling the loxias to fund more m mount or sl lenses.  Which kind of makes me sad, but I'm looking forward to the change. 

Even though you a 35 MM already, I would recommend trying out the Zeiss ZM 35 F1.4. It is a truly unique lens and likely the best M lens at any price (except perhaps the Leica 35 APO). 

• Like 2

Am 2.1.2022 um 18:29 schrieb michali:

... here's a recent image I took with the SL2-S.

That is a very nice cat! We have two similar varieties at home, both of which are avid climbers (they climb to the top of a tree in no time. It usually takes them a little longer to get down again).

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:58 AM, Brian C in Az said:

On 1/2/2022 at 12:08 PM, Mikeksl2 said:

Mike,

Thank you so much for your response and the sample photos.  I am quite impressed with this lens results.  I'm a little closer to purchasing this lens. 

BTW - I enjoyed viewing the photos on your website.  Wonderful photos! 

I don't have that particular Voigtlander, but using the Novoflex M to L adapter the Voigtlander 50 and 35mm APOs are excellent as well as the Nocton 75/1.5

Tested the Ultron 35 on the Sl2-S.  Lens is a keeper.  I am really surprised with the pleasant Bokeh.  I think it's very nice.  I am also impressed with how well the SL2-S and Leica adapter works with M mount lens-  I also have a Zeiss 50 planar.  It's enjoyable! Focus peaking and Focus area enlargement are so well implemented in this camera.  It's almos difficult to miss focus.  

• Like 4