Two Sigma i-Series questions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello forum—I'm a Q2 user thinking of picking up an L-mount camera—either the CL or the original SL Typ 601. I'm eyeing a set of the Sigma 24 f/3.5, 45 f/2.8, and 90 f/2 primes. I wonder if you could answer two questions I have:

The first is about manual focusing. One thing I find appealing about these lenses is the prominent AF / MF switch. On the Q2, I love the ability to switch seamlessly between AF and MF, and the feel of the manual-focus ring on the Q2's lens—it feels quite close to operating a real MF lens. How is the MF experience on the Sigma lenses? In the past, I've used Fuji; I l loved that system, but never used MF on the AF lenses because the focus rings felt so disconnected from the focus motors. Are the Sigma lenses any better? Do any of you regularly manually focus with them?

My second question is about AF. I don't really use continuous focus—only AF-S in spot or field mode. How will the AF performance on the CL and SL Typ 601 compare to what I'm experiencing on my Q2? Is it roughly comparable, or will I feel the age of the older cameras when taking pictures of, say, an active little kid?

Many thanks for any perspectives you may have!

The MF experience is exactly the same as with other lenses. Set the system {or the lens) to manual focus and use focus magnification and/or focus peaking for focus aids. most if not all lenses offer a similar focus-by-wire feel as the Q does. I rather doubt whether you will find much difference in AF performance. It varies slightly by lens too. For lightning-fast AF in general Leica is not the prime brand. I would advise you to try it out in your camera store. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Extra hint - if you half-press the shutter button, the focus ring on a Sigma lens will get activated including focus peaking. To get automatic image magnification, set the switch on the lens to MF. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/1/2022 at 12:52 PM, brembeck43 said:

I had the 35mm 2.0 and the 65mm 2.0. AFwise there was noting to complain, really well made little lenses.  But I was not happy with the overall look, too sharp even at 2.0 and kind of "harsh". 

The 35 and 65 i series lenses prioritise resolution over smoothness - hence your observation that they're harsh.They don't do well in the OOF areas with a lot of fringing and the 35 has poor LoCA control.

The 24 f3.5, 45 and 90 have much smoother rendering.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 12:52 PM, brembeck43 said:

I had the 35mm 2.0 and the 65mm 2.0. AFwise there was noting to complain, really well made little lenses.  But I was not happy with the overall look, too sharp even at 2.0 and kind of "harsh". 

The exact opposite for me, - I have them both and love the sharpness (that can be reduced with filters or in post) and the rendering.

Which only goes to show folks have different tastes!

No experience of the 24 or 90 from Sigma but I do have the 45mm f2.8 and just don't use it.

It's a nice enough lens but a tad soft for my tastes on my S1R. But as above, personal opinion!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jaap,

On my SL2-S and Sigma 35 I leave everything on AF and when in focus if I turn the manual focus ring it will change focus and magnify. But only if the autofocus was succesfull and I keep the shutter button half pressed. Lens switch on AF...

Edited by aj55