Where is the software?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello D-Lux experts, I just purchased a new D-Lux 7, and I thought I was going to get a software (either in the box or a link to download from the internet) to connect the camera and transfer my pictures to my Mac computer, but now I find myself extracting the memory card every time, to insert it in the reader, attached to my computer, which downloads to a given folder... is this the way it is supposed to be or am I missing something, please?

Best regards from Canada,

I have the DL7 and the only software I have found is the Leica Fotos app but for iPhone / iPad only, not the Mac.

It takes a long time to connect and can't download raw files. It can also remotely operate your camera to a certain degree.

The easy way is to use the USB cable that comes with the camera..... connect the Mac to the DL7, switch on and the Leica appears in the Finder.

Then just drag and drop as you would from any other disc. It's quick and easy. No need to remove the card.

When done, switch the camera off and it will start charging.

• Thanks 1

To my knowledge the Photos App does not yet support the RAW- files from the D-Lux, V-Lux and C-Lux, only jpegs. A while ago I've read that Leica is working on a solution for that.

There are many ways to transfer images to a Mac. With the USB- cable is a possibility but I always remove the memory card and put it into my Mac. I import the images into the Photos App on my Mac and secondly I make a folder on my Mac to import the images. This folder I use for copying to different external hard drives as back up. Then I delete this folder. The back up drives are not stored at my home. 

Best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Geoff777 said:

I have the DL7 and the only software I have found is the Leica Fotos app but for iPhone / iPad only, not the Mac.

It takes a long time to connect and can't download raw files. It can also remotely operate your camera to a certain degree.

The easy way is to use the USB cable that comes with the camera..... connect the Mac to the DL7, switch on and the Leica appears in the Finder.

Then just drag and drop as you would from any other disc. It's quick and easy. No need to remove the card.

When done, switch the camera off and it will start charging.

Thank you, Geoff777, that means that at least I don't have to take off the card every time. Some years ago, every camera came with a software, so my previous experience fooled me. By the way, my DL7 got frozen twice today; I had to take off the battery to make it restart (no button or control worked at all). Any idea of why that happens, please?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rjans said:

To my knowledge the Photos App does not yet support the RAW- files from the D-Lux, V-Lux and C-Lux, only jpegs. A while ago I've read that Leica is working on a solution for that.

There are many ways to transfer images to a Mac. With the USB- cable is a possibility but I always remove the memory card and put it into my Mac. I import the images into the Photos App on my Mac and secondly I make a folder on my Mac to import the images. This folder I use for copying to different external hard drives as back up. Then I delete this folder. The back up drives are not stored at my home. 

Best

Thanks rjans. This is the part where I get lost: "I import the images into the Photos App on my Mac and secondly I make a folder on my Mac to import the images. This folder I use for copying to different external hard drives as back up. Then I delete this folder. The back up drives are not stored at my home." Let me explain. In my case I take off the card from the camera, I insert it in a card reader connected to my Mac, and  the RAW images are imported to a Dropbox folder. From there I import the images to LR to select those that I like, and process them. Then, once processed, they stay in that way (processed) in that folder (I then delete all the images that I don't like). Am I doing something inefficiently that I could change to improve the process? What do you think, pls?

23 minutes ago, Othon A. Leon said:

Thank you, Geoff777, that means that at least I don't have to take off the card every time. Some years ago, every camera came with a software, so my previous experience fooled me. By the way, my DL7 got frozen twice today; I had to take off the battery to make it restart (no button or control worked at all). Any idea of why that happens, please?

Good morning Othon. Yes, pulling the card in and out a lot is something I like to avoid. Always a risk of damage! I also have the hand grip attached, which needs to come off before you can get to the door, so simply plugging in to the USB is much simpler. It's quick too - the files on the DL7 are not huge. 

The hand grip is a great accessory that you might want to consider, really improves overall feel. Another accessory I love is the automatic lens cap. It's brilliant!

As to the freezing, I've had my camera about 6 months and it's happened about two or three times. As you noted the only way to fix is to pull the battery out and re-insert. I have no idea what's going on there but it doesn't seem to be a big issue (unless you miss a shot!). I bought mine "pre-loved" and it was one month out of warranty, so couldn't get it fixed that way. If yours is new, maybe take back to the dealer and get an exchange or repair?

As to your filing process (post above), here's what I do. Plug camera into USB. Open "Leica" folder that appears (the camera card). Scroll down through the pictures before I copy to Mac's disc (a folder in Pictures named, oddly enough, Leica 🙂 ). Copy only those over that I like, leave anything that's rubbish on the card. I shoot in raw AND big JPG. I find that the camera does a pretty good job with JPGs although there are others that say they're not good. I copy over the JPGs I want - if there are any where I think I can make a real improvement, I'll copy the raw file too. Once done, eject and switch off the camera so it starts charging. Then process / rename the files in the folder and move to other folders when finished. But, at the end of the day it's best to do what suits you. That will come with practice.

Anyway, good luck and happy new year. I think you'll probably enjoy the DL7 - I've grown very fond of mine!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Geoff777 said:

Good morning Othon. Yes, pulling the card in and out a lot is something I like to avoid. Always a risk of damage! I also have the hand grip attached, which needs to come off before you can get to the door, so simply plugging in to the USB is much simpler. It's quick too - the files on the DL7 are not huge. 

The hand grip is a great accessory that you might want to consider, really improves overall feel. Another accessory I love is the automatic lens cap. It's brilliant!

As to the freezing, I've had my camera about 6 months and it's happened about two or three times. As you noted the only way to fix is to pull the battery out and re-insert. I have no idea what's going on there but it doesn't seem to be a big issue (unless you miss a shot!). I bought mine "pre-loved" and it was one month out of warranty, so couldn't get it fixed that way. If yours is new, maybe take back to the dealer and get an exchange or repair?

As to your filing process (post above), here's what I do. Plug camera into USB. Open "Leica" folder that appears (the camera card). Scroll down through the pictures before I copy to Mac's disc (a folder in Pictures named, oddly enough, Leica 🙂 ). Copy only those over that I like, leave anything that's rubbish on the card. I shoot in raw AND big JPG. I find that the camera does a pretty good job with JPGs although there are others that say they're not good. I copy over the JPGs I want - if there are any where I think I can make a real improvement, I'll copy the raw file too. Once done, eject and switch off the camera so it starts charging. Then process / rename the files in the folder and move to other folders when finished. But, at the end of the day it's best to do what suits you. That will come with practice.

Anyway, good luck and happy new year. I think you'll probably enjoy the DL7 - I've grown very fond of mine!

Good evening Geoff777, thank you for the info! I carry my DL7 in the leather case, so I don't have space for the hand grip (unfortunately, because I agree with you). I do have the automatic lens cap, which I find fragile, but fantastic. 

I might take the camera to the shop and ask, it was very weird and annoying (twice on the same day). 

As for the filing process, thanks for sharing yours. It does give me an idea of what I could do. 

HNY to you too, and yes, I am liking the little camera a lot. It's much easier to carry than my SLR.

Best,

OL

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:40 PM, Othon A. Leon said:

Hello D-Lux experts, I just purchased a new D-Lux 7, and I thought I was going to get a software (either in the box or a link to download from the internet) to connect the camera and transfer my pictures to my Mac computer, but now I find myself extracting the memory card every time, to insert it in the reader, attached to my computer, which downloads to a given folder... is this the way it is supposed to be or am I missing something, please?

Best regards from Canada,

In the box with my D-Lux 7 was a cable to download images from the camera to my iMac. That said, I've never had a problem with extracting the memory card for downloading.

• Thanks 1

Image Capture for Mac OS

This is a built-in program that I had to use for Fuji system cameras.It works for Leica as well.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/image-capture/welcome/mac

You can choose which images to download and which program opens once a Leica Camera( Dlux7) is connected.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pankaj said:

Image Capture for Mac OS

This is a built-in program that I had to use for Fuji system cameras.It works for Leica as well.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/image-capture/welcome/mac

You can choose which images to download and which program opens once a Leica Camera( Dlux7) is connected.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for sharing!