Shout out to USA Leica S camera service

bevdig

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently had to send in my Leica S007 to fix a problem with the camera not recognizing memory cards. Leica USA sent the camera to Germany HQ for repair and an estimate of costs.

Not only was the estimate well below my expectations (less than $200), but Leica USA handled the whole thing efficiently, with the camera out of commission for just a few weeks. The big surprise for me was what I would call "above and beyond" servicing, to include replacement of the armor covering, and repair and adjustment of the Wi-Fi module, the card slot, hot shoe, mirror bumpers, exposure meter, and much more, amounting to a total "tune-up" of the camera. This was all covered as "Goodwill" work at no cost.

The camera is now in "as new" condition, which is what professional-level service is all about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I recently had a second-hand S2-P (so WAY out of warranty) where Leica did EUR4,448 (GBP£3,714) of "Goodwill" work on it due to it having cracked sensor glass!

I imagine that Leica will run out of S2/S2-P sensors at some stage so it's great to think that I have an As New example years after I could have bought one in the same condition from a shop. 

Kudos to Leica. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, shanefking said:

May I ask if you were the original owner/buyer of that S?

Me? No. I didn’t have any receipts - nor were any asked for. The S2-P was outside of any 5-year warranty by a long shot. I count myself extremely lucky! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's the invoice. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Correct; I sent it direct to Leica in Wetzlar, Germany. 

I wish that was an option for me in Canada. I've tried contacting Leica S service in Germany directly, but they force Canadians to go through the US. This adds a layer of cost, complication, and delay, since the NJ office can't do anything with S cameras or lenses.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shanefking said:

Are you in the EU?  

I’m in the States, and I’m starting to wonder what might happen if I just mail my S2 directly to Wetzlar… 

Technically, no. Since the UK Brexit vote the Channel Islands are no longer a part of the EU - but nor are we part of the UK as we’re self-governing. Leica UK gave me the go ahead to post direct to Leica… probably to save them the hassle of the Customs paperwork - and the cost! 

Before posting anything direct to Leica you must fill out various forms, including a Customs form, and let them know to expect it (to speed up the Customs clearance at their end). It would be a bit of a risk just to send it. Maybe email Leica Customer Care first and ask.

I’ve always used FedEx to send my stuff to Leica so maybe paying for the postage myself (rather than a Leica store sending it off) means that they’re happy that I’m saving them money. The return postage from Leica (using DHL) has always been free of charge.

What work does your S2 need done to it?

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Technically, no. Since the UK Brexit vote the Channel Islands are no longer a part of the EU - but nor are we part of the UK as we’re self-governing. Leica UK gave me the go ahead to post direct to Leica… probably to save them the hassle of the Customs paperwork - and the cost! 

Before posting anything direct to Leica you must fill out various forms, including a Customs form, and let them know to expect it (to speed up the Customs clearance at their end). It would be a bit of a risk just to send it. Maybe email Leica Customer Care first and ask.

I’ve always used FedEx to send my stuff to Leica so maybe paying for the postage myself (rather than a Leica store sending it off) means that they’re happy that I’m saving them money. The return postage from Leica (using DHL) has always been free of charge.

What work does your S2 need done to it?

Thank you for the detailed response Sarnian  :) 

Mine is needs a new sensor due to corroded glass.  I asked Leica USA for a quote some years ago, but it would have cost nearly as much as buying another S2.  At this point I’m considering simply getting a used 007, but if I can revive my S2 for a few hundred dollars that would be far more ideal.

31 minutes ago, shanefking said:

I managed to get a 7.5/10 condition 007 for less than it would have cost to refurbish a S2. See the image above of my S2-P invoice for the prices LEICA charge. This is from November 2021.

The 007 is superior to the S2 in every way so I’d probably just bite the bullet and get a 007. Your S2 could be a useful backup (if the corrosion spots aren’t too numerous and can easily be Photoshopped out). I’m currently selling a 006 S-E with a new sensor on eBay.co.uk…

Edited by Sarnian
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

I managed to get a 7.5/10 condition 007 for less than it would have cost to refurbish a S2. See the image above of my S2-P invoice for the prices LEICA charge. This is from November 2021.

The 007 is superior to the S2 in every way so I’d probably just bite the bullet and get a 007. Your S2 could be a useful backup (if the corrosion spots aren’t too numerous and can easily be Photoshopped out). I’m currently selling a 006 S-E with a new sensor on eBay.co.uk…

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.  I’ve never seen a 007 listed for under $5000 but I’ll keep an eye out ;)

7 minutes ago, shanefking said:

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.  I’ve never seen a 007 listed for under $5000 but I’ll keep an eye out ;)

I can't remember precisely but I think I got my 007 from Camera West for $3,495. The body has a few scratches on it (hence the 7.5/10 rating) but the sensor is perfect - which is all that really matters, after all. I think patience is the key here as bargains do come up occasionally - you just have to be looking in the right place at the right time! 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, shanefking said:

I’ve never seen a 007 listed for under $5000 but I’ll keep an eye out ;)

I just bought an Excellent+ condition 007 from Park Cameras. It was £3,799.00 but was subject to a £500 Clearance discount (so down to £3,299.00). I then got 20% V.A.T. off the £3,299.00 to come out at an amazing £2,749.17 ($3,737.00)!! 🤯

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

I just bought an Excellent+ condition 007 from Park Cameras. It was £3,799.00 but was subject to a £500 Clearance discount (so down to £3,299.00). I then got 20% V.A.T. off the £3,299.00 to come out at an amazing £2,749.17 ($3,737.00)!! 🤯

And I thought I was good at finding deals!  Teach me your ways!

1 minute ago, shanefking said:

And I thought I was good at finding deals!  Teach me your ways!

I must admit that I didn't expect the 20% V.A.T. to be removed due to it being a second-hand item. 

Add this 007 to my £500.00 70mm CS and I reckon that I've used up all of my luck! 🍀

• Haha 1