Help with turning off Touch AF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both 'Touch AF,' and 'Touch AF in EVF' set to off, yet my focus point still sometimes gets centered while shooting. I'm assuming it's my nose touching the screen that's occasionally doing it. Also, with the LCD on, I can still centre the focus point by tapping the screen two or three times. 

Really annoying sometimes. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have touch screen off but the focus square still moves. It would appear that I move the 4-way controller by accident and that’s what causes the problem. To my knowledge, and despite requests over 3 years to Leica to change the defaults for both CL and Q2, there has been no response or change in firmware.

5 hours ago, Bazookajoe said:

I have both 'Touch AF,' and 'Touch AF in EVF' set to off, yet my focus point still sometimes gets centered while shooting. I'm assuming it's my nose touching the screen that's occasionally doing it. Also, with the LCD on, I can still centre the focus point by tapping the screen two or three times. 

Really annoying sometimes. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

There is not a setting to stop a double-tap of the rear screen from re-centering the focus point. But it's difficult to think of how you would double tap by accident, especially with your nose. Are you resting your thumb on the LCD screen while looking through the EVF?

33 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

There is not a setting to stop a double-tap of the rear screen from re-centering the focus point. But it's difficult to think of how you would double tap by accident, especially with your nose. Are you resting your thumb on the LCD screen while looking through the EVF?

Yes, I agree, it does seem odd to think that I could somehow double tap with my nose. No, I can assure you, my thumb comes nowhere near the LCD screen. I have the thumb rest. It never leaves it.

5 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I have touch screen off but the focus square still moves. It would appear that I move the 4-way controller by accident and that’s what causes the problem. To my knowledge, and despite requests over 3 years to Leica to change the defaults for both CL and Q2, there has been no response or change in firmware.

Guess it's a fault, or quirk of design then. I am absolutely certain that I'm not accidentally hitting the four way controller. I use the thumb rest accessory, so it's not possible. The only thing I can think of is that it might be a 'long press' from my nose on the LCD. Shame, because I never use the LCD for shooting, and only very rarely for viewing images -I'm not a 'chimp-er.'

One would think that turning off the touch functions would would turn every touch function off!

22 minutes ago, Bazookajoe said:

Guess it's a fault, or quirk of design then. I am absolutely certain that I'm not accidentally hitting the four way controller. I use the thumb rest accessory, so it's not possible. The only thing I can think of is that it might be a 'long press' from my nose on the LCD. Shame, because I never use the LCD for shooting, and only very rarely for viewing images -I'm not a 'chimp-er.'

One would think that turning off the touch functions would would turn every touch function off!

I would agree, but by a process of elimination found it could only be the 4-way controller. It might “bounce” off my chest when walking with the camera around my neck. It might be my thumb as it misaligns with the indent on the back of the camera. It could be because I use the handgrip, having reasonable large hands. Who knows?

But the 4-way controller could be programmed to be off by default and only on when: a) one of the three buttons are activated b) by positive selection to be active as a menu option would it be live.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I would agree, but by a process of elimination found it could only be the 4-way controller. It might “bounce” off my chest when walking with the camera around my neck. It might be my thumb as it misaligns with the indent on the back of the camera. It could be because I use the handgrip, having reasonable large hands. Who knows?

But the 4-way controller could be programmed to be off by default and only on when: a) one of the three buttons are activated b) by positive selection to be active as a menu option would it be live.

Well, try this: make sure all touch functions are set to off. Turn on the LCD and move your focus box off to any edge of the frame using the four way controller. Now tap the screen a couple of times. Does the focus box move back to the centre? 

Mine does. Even with all touch settings disabled. 

5 hours ago, Bazookajoe said:

... The only thing I can think of is that it might be a 'long press' from my nose on the LCD...

In Field AF a long press brings up the two red corners that let you resize the Field AF box – you'd know it if you were doing a long press.

A long press when using Spot AF does nothing.

1 hour ago, Bazookajoe said:

Well, try this: make sure all touch functions are set to off. Turn on the LCD and move your focus box off to any edge of the frame using the four way controller. Now tap the screen a couple of times. Does the focus box move back to the centre? 

Mine does. Even with all touch settings disabled. 

I mentioned this in post 3. There is no "Touch AF in EVF" option to disable the double-press to re-center.

I assume you have Touch AF and Touch AF in EVF turned off.

With LCD off, double tap on LCD centers the focus point, even with Touch AF and Touch AF in EVF off :(.

12 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

All off. Double tap changes nothing.

Strange. I rechecked a second time and double tap centers:

- Leica Q2, firmware 3.1

- EVF only

- Touch AF and Touch AF in EVF off

Move focus point off-center, look through EVF, double-tap on LCD centers the focus point. The EVF can be activated by holding it close to the body, in which case an accidental double-tap would also center it.

2 hours ago, Le Chef said:

All off. Double tap changes nothing.

You have to be in either Field, Spot, or Face Detection AF modes for double tap to re-center the focus point. In these modes, double tap always re-centers an off-center focus point regardless of settings. Double tap does nothing only if focus point is already centered.

Edited by hdmesa

7 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I mentioned this in post 3. There is no "Touch AF in EVF" option to disable the double-press to re-center.

Did you try the test that I suggested?

Try tapping 2-4 times and see what happens.

My focus point re-centers. 

This shouldn't happen with 'touch AF' off, right?

Seems I'm not the only one this is happening to.

• Like 1

The workaround of double tapping is a poor substitute as you have to take your eye away from the EVF to do it. And that may mean you’ve lost the shot you wanted.
The real point is the focus box shouldn’t move in the first place unless you issue a clear instruction through the software options. The lack of that is poor design and poor execution as it exists in at least two Leica models and maybe more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

The workaround of double tapping is a poor substitute as you have to take your eye away from the EVF to do it. And that may mean you’ve lost the shot you wanted.
The real point is the focus box shouldn’t move in the first place unless you issue a clear instruction through the software options. The lack of that is poor design and poor execution as it exists in at least two Leica models and maybe more.

When shooting with your right eye, it is natural to use your right thumb to move the cursor via LCD while looking through the EVF. Several manufacturers have implemented a similar UI. 
I have issues when the focus point moves by itself away from the center, but not if it centers itself.
One solution is to use multi-field focusing mode, which is likely the quickest way to grab focus. 
How would you improve the "poor design"?

The double tap on the LCD with your right thumb works while you're looking through the EVF. You don't have to take your eye off the EVF.

Edited by hdmesa

9 hours ago, Bazookajoe said:

Did you try the test that I suggested?

Try tapping 2-4 times and see what happens.

My focus point re-centers. 

This shouldn't happen with 'touch AF' off, right?

Seems I'm not the only one this is happening to.

We're saying the same thing. You can't turn off double-tap with any setting. Touch AF set to Off is not designed to stop the double-tap to re-center the focus point.

We need is the option to turn off double-tap, but we don't have it.

Edited by hdmesa