Quality of colour filters

Me Leica!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently sold off a bunch of gear and picked up a Monochrom 246, as I have long wanted to try shooting black and white only (digitally). So far I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I'm considering picking up a few colour filters - maybe a green, yellow and orange to start with. However, when I look these things up online, the variation in price is really quite extreme.

The lens I'm using has a 39mm filter size so searching on Amazon.co.jp (I'm in Tokyo) brings up, among others, a yellow filter by Marumi for 1,600 yen, which is currently about 13 USD or 12 Euro.

However, other filters (which tend to feature the name "Leica" in their description) are listed for anything up to ten times this much.

Having never used colour filters before, I don't know that much about them, so I wanted to ask the people who might have experience with them. Is there that much of a difference in quality, or are some sellers just pushing their luck?

Edited by Me Leica!

After some fear to use colored filters with my Monochrom (MM1 and MM2), I use them now without any doubts.

I had bought some cheap filters over time.

In real use, I can not see any flaws, even when they have some scratches, not coated.

I use what I have in the right size for the lens on the M : Leitz/Leica/, Hoya, Marumi, Canon, B&W, Cokin, Pentax, Nikon, etc.

So for me any colored filter CAN be used with Monochrom M, at any price, new or old (two of my A36 Leitz, funny naming FIPOS for green, could be made in the 1930' or 1940's

with heavy glass tinted in the glass, not coated as does the Elmar 5cm), such are my experiences.

Period correct accessories can be fun, but not necessary.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just as informational, I stumbled across the fact that B+W has updated their entire filter line. The b&w color filters are no longer that thick F-Pro ring, they are slimmer. They still do not have the nano coating, which they probably don't need. From my post on DPR:

New one:

B+W #590/090 Red Light MRC Basic Filter (49mm)

Old one I used:

B+W 49mm Light Red MRC 090M Filter

B+W split their lines into BASIC and MASTER, with the latter having the nano coating. The black and white color filters never had the nano coating, and I don't think they will get it, so the basic one linked above should be the same as the old filter.

Camera branded filters are usually all good but can be expensive at times, Leica branded filters is case in point, most of the current ones are manufactured by third parties yet command Leica premium.

Independent filter producers like B&W and Heliopan use well regarded Schott optical glass, Hoya is premier maker of optical glass in its own right. I have Ll of above, no complaint.  I have few Marumi filters and they are excellent.

As of lately I have acquired H&Y filter system made up of CPL and neutral grad, and also combine NISI 150x100mm Neutral Graduate, these are some truly excellent optical filter system with innovative high quality glass.

some information...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M246 with Tri-Elmar at 16mm and exposed via Graduated Neutral Filter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Given the cost of the M10M and associated glass, the Leica filters are a drop in the bucket. I just stick with the Leica color filters. They thread easily, hold their value, optically demonstrate no deterioration to the image quality (I checked) and might even be fine tuned to the sensor (read that somewhere).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jplomley said:

...and might even be fine tuned to the sensor (read that somewhere).

Well, the task of a color filter with black and white is to influence the contrast between different colors. Sometimes less may be better and sometimes more (both may result from "bad" or "good" filter), often you don't see the difference. So someone who wanted to  "fine tune" a filter to the sensor would have to know all motives with all lightings the sensor would ever take. 

There are many colored filters around for Leica lenses which are 80 years old or so. Just try one and compare it to a modern one. Difference ? Better or worse?

P.S.: To be honest those "bad" old ones are often more expensive than "good" modern ones - which do not bear the name "Leica". 

Edited by UliWer