Elmar and Summaron

costa43

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

I’ve just been successful in an auction for a 35mm Summaron 3.5 and a 50mm Elmar 3.5.

The person selling has no idea about lenses and describes the glass as perfect. Now I hope she is correct but I have my doubts. Fortunately I won the auction at an amazing price so some remedial work is not a problem. The lenses are yet to arrive but I thought it best to reach out and see if anyone has had any success with a CLA on these lenses without damage to coatings/glass etc. if so could they recommend anybody in the UK or in Poland that could assist? I understand that it depends on the condition but any tips/pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks 

Costa

Congratulations.

To a large extent it will depend on whether there are any issues and if there are then what those issues might be.

I have a '54 35mm f3.5 Summaron (M) which was given a CLA several years ago. It had developed signs of slight haze over the years but when the work was finished it performed once more like a brand new lens - and they are superb performers even today. OTOH I also have a pre-serial # 50mm f3.5 Elmar which went in for the same treatment but did not come out performing 'brand new' so the issues between the lenses were obviously different.

Wishing you good luck and please keep us posted.

Philip.

• Like 1

I have an early Elmar 3.5cm and had a Summaron 35 f3.5. There is no reason why if the glass is good that they cannot be cleaned and made as good as possible, my Elmar is uncoated snd very low contrast. I do have an early 50mm Elmar which has a very hazy front element, which is beyond repair. I've had good results with lenses from Camserve, Skyllaney & Newton Ellis (the latter superb but swamped), but there is nothing inherent in these lens designs that would make any decent repairer unsuited. They are very simple designs and well made. Repairer backlogs vary hugely though.

I hope you get much pleasure from them - the Summaron is a beauty!

• Like 1