Are these glitches common? Lens not detected and not turning off

M Journey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I've had a used Leica m10-p for about 2 weeks now.  On several occasions I have noticed the following two glitches:

Camera not turning off - The Camera will stay on even though I turn the on/off switch.  I try turning the switch several times.  When I eject the battery and put it back it the camera returns to normal.  Happened twice in one night and once another night.

No lens detected error - I only have one lens, the 35 m apo, and I keep it on all the time.  On two occasions I have gotten a no lens detected issue.  I think it might have happened when I try to focus below .7m and/or when I toggle the frame lines lever (I was trying to check out the other lines).  This issue also goes away when I eject the battery and put it back in.

I spoke to my dealer and will be replacing the camera in a few weeks.  I wanted to know if this is a common glitch and if so, what are the causes so I can avoid them.  I have the latest firmware installed, 3.2.1.3.50 and use a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC V130 32gb SD card if that matters.  I am also using the battery that came with the camera.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Not at all common, but all these glitches (and others, like freezing mid shoot in continuous mode etc.) are all well documented and can happen to some individual cameras. You have the misfortune of owning one such camera. Let us know how the replacement goes.

Good to know that this is uncommon.  I guess I'll just cross my fingers that my replacement will be free from these issues.

Also worth checking that the lens is properly mounted, i.e. rotated all the way to the locked position. Many M lenses can also be rotated further than this position if the lock button is kept depressed while mounting. Incorrect position may cause lens detection and frameline issues.

If I recall correctly, there is also a thread somewhere on this forum about an issue with lens detection in combination with using the frameline lever. These should not normally affect each other in any way.

7 hours ago, mujk said:

Also worth checking that the lens is properly mounted, i.e. rotated all the way to the locked position. Many M lenses can also be rotated further than this position if the lock button is kept depressed while mounting. Incorrect position may cause lens detection and frameline issues.

If I recall correctly, there is also a thread somewhere on this forum about an issue with lens detection in combination with using the frameline lever. These should not normally affect each other in any way.

thanks for the tip.  the issue isn't when I first mount the lens, it happened after the lens had been mounted for days and I was just fiddling around with the camera.