After a couple of months use firmware thoughts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a couple of months use these are the main things I would really like to see in a firmware update

1. Option to have info bars showing in EVF  and not on the LCD. I find the overlay on the LCD really annoying in it’s implementation. I would prefer to see a smaller but complete image rather than having part of it shaded out. At least the possibility to make the info bars more see through
  2. An ‘off’ position for noise reduction/ sharpening in the jpeg settings. Not that I use jpeg much but at times it does have it’s uses and at high iso even on the low setting the jpeg files behave very strangely. On my Sony’s you can switch this off which gives much better files at high iso
  3. Better high iso performance. When I had the original Q they managed to improve this considerably in a firmware update and I have to say that the Q2 is very poor in this area when compared to my Sony A7r3’s which have a similar amount of pixels
  4. Compressed DNG setting. The files are huge and yes I can halve them in size in Lightroom by updating “DNG preview and metadata” but this is not ideal as it takes a bit of time and you lose any of the ‘crop’ frameline settings.
  5. If your shooting in B&W jpeg with lock-on AF the image reverts back to colour in the EVF/LCD while focusing

On the whole a great camera and worthy upgrade from the original Q though I miss the single/continuous positions on the on/off switch and they could have kept the video button and made it usable as another custom button

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1