M240 v M10 IQ comparison

Al404

From someone who has owned and shot both here is my assessment of IQ between them: the shadow areas of M240 go green when opened up in PS/LR (a well noted issue, so much in fact that a remedy plugin has been made for it), the highlight recovery is better with M10 and so is the ISO performance - by about 1 stop. People who shoot seven photos each weekend will say there is no notable difference, but when you work with both cameras professionally you notice these things very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything Al says above, plus

Less IR contamination on the M10

Not only is the ISO better, but when pushed there’s far less ugly banding on the 10

for me… 

Not really an IQ thing per se… but the M10 is just less work… don’t need an IR filter, don’t need denoise for the banding, don’t need the green shadow plugin for the green shadows, don’t spend so much time chasing better skin colours, WB natively looks better in that images are cooler and not so ‘hot’

At base ISO it’s not that the 10 has a substantially different colour palette.. it’s just (for me at least) the overall route from import of DNG to finished photos (across a broad range of scenarios) is quicker and easier on the 10.

It took me a while to convince myself I needed an M10… but I’m glad I did

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've never done a direct comparison, both cameras are outstanding.   The newer sensor of the M10-R does give better highlight recovery but other than that they're both outstanding.  Subtle nuances can be adjusted in post, such as color saturation, hue and luminance.  David Farkas once did a comparison of the M9 and M240 at Red Dot Forum, CCD and CMOS differences were evaluated, the article may help you make your decision when seeing that different cameras can be made to look similar.  I use the M240 and M10 interchangeably.   

• Like 2