Anyone used the Oberwerth 1-second camera holster?

M Journey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I am looking for a bag solution to carry just a Leica m body with lens attached.  I want something minimal for when I'm out and about and was looking at sling options.  I came across the Oberwerth 1 second camera holster, which is a pouch that attaches to your belt but allows you use your camera on a neck strap and keep it protected between shots.

While this bag won't be my main carry solution, I thought it might be great for when am out traveling (or taking a walk) and can keep the camera ready for quick shots if something catches my eye.  Does anyone have any experience with this item that can share some thoughts on user experience and practicality?  I will probably get a think tank turnstyle sling 5l to hold the camera when traveling and use the Oberwerth holster when I'm actually on the streets.  Any thoughts on the think tank turnstyle would be appreciated as well.

1-Second Camera Holster Jan – Oberwerth Bags

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://oberwerth.com/en/products/crossbody-holster-fur-leica-m-und-q?_pos=1&_sid=cdce8414f&_ss=r

beautiful soft thick leather but heavy.  I have the Oberwerth George but never used it.  Terrible design.  No protection from rain.  If you must, better to choose the true crossbody holster . Look at the link.

I wanted to buy the Oberwerth but went a different way.

A custom made 150cm/5 feet double enforced leather strap for the camera the and Peak Design Field Pouch which is attached to my belt.
The setup in field use:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/324282-show-your-m10-or-any-digitalanalog-m-half-case/?do=findComment&comment=4289861

It is longer (broader) than the Oberwerth and is a perfect fit for my M10-R and a 35/2 or 40/2 Summicron, extra battery and cards. Much less conspicuous too.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

I didn't opt for the Jan as it requires it to be attached to a belt and felt it was a bit restrictive in terms of movement and in clothing.

Instead I ordered the modern dayfayer active sling which provides quick access.

But if you wanted a holster like bag or pouch I'd recommend

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lucerne said:

https://oberwerth.com/en/products/crossbody-holster-fur-leica-m-und-q?_pos=1&_sid=cdce8414f&_ss=r

beautiful soft thick leather but heavy.  I have the Oberwerth George but never used it.  Terrible design.  No protection from rain.  If you must, better to choose the true crossbody holster . Look at the link.

Does this provide good rain protection?  Doesn't look like it would.  I'll check out some videos on it though.  Thanks

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I wanted to buy the Oberwerth but went a different way.

A custom made 150cm/5 feet double enforced leather strap for the camera the and Peak Design Field Pouch which is attached to my belt.
The setup in field use:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/324282-show-your-m10-or-any-digitalanalog-m-half-case/?do=findComment&comment=4289861

It is longer (broader) than the Oberwerth and is a perfect fit for my M10-R and a 35/2 or 40/2 Summicron, extra battery and cards. Much less conspicuous too.

I'm looking at this too.  It's almost twice as wide as the Oberwerth though.  I'm looking to just hold the bag and lens.  Is there a smaller version of the field pouch?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, cboy said:

I didn't opt for the Jan as it requires it to be attached to a belt and felt it was a bit restrictive in terms of movement and in clothing.

Instead I ordered the modern dayfayer active sling which provides quick access.

Do you use a hand strap or neck strap with your M when using this sling?

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll dig around and see what other alternatives there are.  I really like the idea of having some sort of pouch that I can slip the camera into while it's still connected to a neck strap.  The M is too heavy for me to use without a strap (and not worry about dropping it).  I also like the look of it without the grip.

FWIW, I went through this some years ago - different bags, pouches, etc and finally ended up back where I first started with my very first camera - just the camera on a neck strap.  I found that the pouches just got in the way for me and added weight/clutter - sort of like the "never-ready" case.  Nowadays I just carry the camera on the neck strap and (sometimes) an extra lens in a jacket pocket.  Most recently I've been carrying just the camera/28mm lens...turning my M10R BP into an expensive Q2!

But I'd recommend the smallest, lightest pouch you can find!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M Journey said:

Do you use a hand strap or neck strap with your M when using this sling?

Both. Depends on intent. As a main storage for quick access for the occasional picture I'd use a hand strap. But for more concentrated shooting session then nothing beats the camera around ones neck and not return it back in the sling lol.

Edited by cboy

Well I took the plunge and ordered one.  The Oberwerth online shop was sold out of black and it was not available at any US stores (Leica Miami shows a shipping date of April, 2022).  I was able to find it in stock on the Leica Manchester website and for less than it costs on the Oberwerth site.  Decided to order since it will take 2 weeks to arrive and hopefully in time for my next trip mid-January.

If it doesn't work out than I guess I can use it as an expensive pouch to protect the camera in a backpack or something.

• Thanks 1

Well, I’m going to take my own advice and get the Oberwerth crossbody holster.  It folds (and closes) around the camera and around my neck or across my back and chest.  I’ll throw the Oberwerth George away! Great leather. (But soaks up rain). Terrible design, no top closure,  and the combination of strap and soft leather results in floppy support.  Thanks for the debate.

Unfortunately no dealers stock this in the UK, so I’ll have to pay tax and duties on top of the listed price from Germany.  

Edited by lucerne

4 hours ago, lucerne said:

Well, I’m going to take my own advice and get the Oberwerth crossbody holster.  It folds (and closes) around the camera and around my neck or across my back and chest.  I’ll throw the Oberwerth George away! Great leather. (But soaks up rain). Terrible design, no top closure,  and the combination of strap and soft leather results in floppy support.  Thanks for the debate.

Unfortunately no dealers stock this in the UK, so I’ll have to pay tax and duties on top of the listed price from Germany.  

I would get it if it wore more like the Zegna insta pack.  I had to order my Oberwerth Jan overseas as well and pay international shipping. These items just seem to specialized.  I wish there was a Oberwerth store near me that I can visit so I can check their items out in person.

The Zegna is very nice but expensive. Getting items to theUK has become complex since we left the EU.  I negotiated 20% off my last lens from the Netherlands and was charged duty before the courier was allowed to deliver.  
Good luck with your purchase .

7 hours ago, lucerne said:

I purchased the Oberwerth Crossbody Holster BLK for my M10-R. As with other Oberwerth products, I find the crossbody to be very high quality leather fit and finish. I also like the holster strap can be extended plenty and worn crossbody comfortably for those of us that are taller. 

As far as weather resistance, I think it will suffice with protection from snow and some protection in a sudden rain, or at least until you can run for cover. But I wouldn't let it get drenched. Also the wrap around top does not not seal and there are gaps on both sides which could also let rain in if not careful. There is also square cut out for the Thumb Grip near the top back of the case that could also let rain in. The case will however, protect against against bumps and scraps for those of us looking ahead for resale/trade in value.

Something to know is there is a removable insert at the button of the case that can be removed as needed. From what I found the insert seems to be a good fit for my M10-R with M10 Grip, Leica Thumb Grip and a very slight/minimal looped leather wrist strap.  Of course an even better fit without the M10 Grip. 

Overall a very, very nice holster and one step up from minimal carry IMO with spare battery/SD card in your trouser or jacket pocket. 

• Thanks 1

I have the Oberwerth Beirut as a small bag for camera + 1 lens.  Then just a wrist strap on the camera, because I did not want a full length camera strap if I already had a bag strap over my shoulder.  Has worked for me for many years.  Really like Oberwerth design and quality so added a Freiburg for taking multiple lenses and other items.  The Beirut protects the camera when I set it down, e.g. at lunch or in the car.  When I am actively taking pictures I just use the wrist strap.

Edited by rob_w

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2021 at 6:42 AM, M Journey said:

Well I took the plunge and ordered one.  The Oberwerth online shop was sold out of black and it was not available at any US stores (Leica Miami shows a shipping date of April, 2022).  I was able to find it in stock on the Leica Manchester website and for less than it costs on the Oberwerth site.  Decided to order since it will take 2 weeks to arrive and hopefully in time for my next trip mid-January.

If it doesn't work out than I guess I can use it as an expensive pouch to protect the camera in a backpack or something.

I reckon you ordered the 1-second-camera-holster?

How you're getting along? Is an extended neck strap required so that the camera might not fall out of the pouch? Or is the pouch secure enough with the magnets for walking etc., without a risk the camera falling out?

16 minutes ago, THEME said:

I reckon you ordered the 1-second-camera-holster?

How you're getting along? Is an extended neck strap required so that the camera might not fall out of the pouch? Or is the pouch secure enough with the magnets for walking etc., without a risk the camera falling out?

I like it.  It is very compact and perfect for a one body one lens setup.  You definitely need an extended strap though.  I’m 5’8 and was able to get a 58” strap from Harry Benz which allows me to wear the strap cross shoulder and have the m sit perfectly in the pouch attached to my belt.  The pouch is very soft and the magnets aren’t very strong so the camera will easily fall out if it isn’t secured by a strap.  It allows me to keep the m out of visibility until I want to take a picture, making it perfect for travel and walks.

It also works well to protect the camera when tossed into a bigger bag.  I keep it on a peak design 5L sling when I’m in transit to my destination.

• Like 1