Choice for a third lens

Vinver66

As my experiences, third lens is a path to more lenses (to endless), so beware 😇.

For me if you are in this "optic" , any lens would do (be the third lens).

👇

I was happy, so long ago, 👌 with only one lens Summicron 50 my first M lens (still have it now).

Hard choice second lens to 'complete the set' 35 or 90mm, I took foolishly the two almost same time !

So for decades, I used happily the trio Summicron M 35/50/90 on many Ms.

To be honest, we (plus my wife) used also Leica R unlimited system to complete the M limits !

• Like 1

Well worth looking at the 7 artisans 75mm f1.25 in my view.based on an old carl  zeiss jena  lens it renders beautiful people images , dreamy wide open but sharp stopped down.

Anyone with more than 4 lenses is a complete idiot unable to get the best out of any particular lens in my view,

And i should know because i have 8!!

My best lenses are my leica 28mm f2.8  version  4/  TT artisans 50mm f0.95 and 7 artians 75mm f1.25 .

Just behind them are my voigtlander 21mm f1.4 and 50mm  leica summicrom V5  and voigtlander 40mm f1.4 but really i just want to work with 3  because of diminishing returns using too many lens.

I mostly use two Summicron-M F/2 lenses, a 28mm and 50mm on my M10.  Recently found a brand new Summarit-M 75/2.5 for a good price and got it.  I didn't anticipate using it a whole lot and really just thought it would be nice to have.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how good this lens really is and will be using it more often.

If I were to do it all over again I think I might just go with a 35 & 75 setup.  Too much invested at this point to start buying and selling.  Ideal kit would be an M10-R and a 35/2 APO Summicron and Summilux-M 75/1.4 but at $20K new for that kit it's a little out of reach, for now at least.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Camaro5 said:

I mostly use two Summicron-M F/2 lenses, a 28mm and 50mm on my M10.  Recently found a brand new Summarit-M 75/2.5 for a good price and got it.  I didn't anticipate using it a whole lot and really just thought it would be nice to have.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how good this lens really is and will be using it more often.

If I were to do it all over again I think I might just go with a 35 & 75 setup.  Too much invested at this point to start buying and selling.  Ideal kit would be an M10-R and a 35/2 APO Summicron and Summilux-M 75/1.4 but at $20K new for that kit it's a little out of reach, for now at least.  

Camaro, you will find much has been written about the 75mm Summarit lens. It is very popular. With three lenses, you have a choice of pairing for travel. Try them out locally and prove to yourself which you prefer. Remember, the  50mm lens is an excellent all round portrait lens, gathering a little more context for your subjects.

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, wda said:

Camaro, you will find much has been written abot the 75mm Summarit lens. It is very popular. With three lenses, you have a choice of pairing for travel. Try them out locally and prove to yourself which you prefer. Remember, the  50mm lens is an excellent all round portrait lens, gathering a little more context for your subjects.

I did a good amount of research before getting the Summarit.  Only used it for automotive work so far but look forward to doing some other things with it.  It's got less contrast than a Summicron 50/2 but it's tack sharp and has nice fall-off at f/2.5.  Colors are very natural.  A winner for sure.  

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, strohscw said:

I can only confirm that, but it is fun, albeit an expensive one.

Expensive ?

I know many more hobbies being many folds more expensive.

Anyway the hard-earned-money must go for something useful/fun/or whatelse 🤑 floating one's boat .

• Haha 1