Choice for a third lens

Vinver66

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello and merry Christmas.

I have a question. I am interested in street, travel, documentary and natural light portrait photography. I have  28mm and a 50mm lens and I am considering a third lens. Do I buy a 75mm or a 90mm?

thank you for your suggestions, comments, etc.

regards

Vincent

Welcome, Vinver66. It might be hard to find, but your topic has been discussed endlessly in the past.  For many decades, my three lenses were 28, 50 and 90. Had they not worked for me, I would have changed them. The  75 works better with the 35.

• Thanks 1

50 is totally enough for portraits on M. 28 is fine for travels, street and documentary. 

I had 90 two or three times. It was just totally useless. You have to be close at the street and for documentary. Travel doesn't need 90 at all with M.

If I was where nowhere known as Vermont, 50 was good match for emptiness. On Manhattan 28 was just right.

I was also looking for good priced 21 for years and got it as CV CS 21/4. I prefer it to 28 on the streets. 

Again to have pictures with engagement you have to be as close as possible. 75/90 are just wrong lenses for it. From my extensive experience with M on travel. streets and events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 75 focal length is more practical for hand-held shooting.
It is not important what other lenses you own. Just get the tele you feel most comfortable with. I am in love with my Summilux 75, but I suggest you try both focal lengths first. Both can be had at a great price (75 Summarits and most 90mm lenses).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The combination 28/50/90 is often used. Same applies for me.
I’ve sold my 75 apo summicron. I hardly used it as I could not become friends with it.

If you don’t look for a fast lens, you might consider the 90 macro. Good value for money.
Some say it is the best 90 in Leica’s present portfolio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 28 and a 50 lens and added a Telyt 135. The 135 is a bit harder to focus, but I find the difference in focal length very useful. The way it compresses some subjects (buildings in a long street) makes it worth the effort. In an unfamiliar place I usually start with the 28 or 50, but take out the 135 if I stay a few days longer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinver66 said:

Hello and merry Christmas.

I have a question. I am interested in street, travel, documentary and natural light portrait photography. I have  28mm and a 50mm lens and I am considering a third lens. Do I buy a 75mm or a 90mm?

thank you for your suggestions, comments, etc.

regards

Vincent

H Vincent,

Welcome to the forum. If the 28 and 50 are your first 2 M lenses then I would suggest a 90 as that would allow you to better explore working with an M. A good choice would be the 90 summarit - very modern and light. On the other hand, you may find a 35 to be the goldilocks choice for you. It can handle all your interests and is a great choice for indoor available light environmental portraiture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

50 is totally enough for portraits on M. 28 is fine for travels, street and documentary. 

I had 90 two or three times. It was just totally useless. You have to be close at the street and for documentary. Travel doesn't need 90 at all with M.

If I was where nowhere known as Vermont, 50 was good match for emptiness. On Manhattan 28 was just right.

I was also looking for good priced 21 for years and got it as CV CS 21/4. I prefer it to 28 on the streets. 

Again to have pictures with engagement you have to be as close as possible. 75/90 are just wrong lenses for it. From my extensive experience with M on travel. streets and events. 

What you say is true for street, but not entirely. One good street photographer uses a 90 most of the time, for his coverage of street situations.

But you are dismissing OP's interest in travel. I used a 90 for capturing architectural and landscape/cityscape details, unreachable effectively, with wider lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Vinver66 said:

Do I buy a 75mm or a 90mm?

Depends on your tastes, subject matters and cameras. In RF mode, 75mm frame lines are not confortable to use for anybody but it is not a problem in LV/EVF mode at all obviously. Also some people use to crop their pics more or less and, for them, there is little difference between 50 and 75. For portraits, 90 allows to keep more distance with people, which can be useful or not depending on your way of shooting. For landscapes you may feel that 75 has not enough reach for your needs. For general photography i.e. landscapes, travels and family, i mainly use 90 when i bring three lenses (35/50/90) and 75 when i bring two (35/75) but it's just me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the longer end I also use a 75 (not often), 90 (mostly), and 135 (occasionally).  Most often these three are used for nature shots or portrait work. I have used the 135 occasionally for travel, especially when I was at sea. For the type of work you mention is of greatest interest for you, I'd think a 90 would do the job magnificently; to me the 75 is too close to a 50 in many cases. If you're undecided you might get a 2ndhand older 75, 90 and 135 and try them out, sell what you find you don't use. Personally, I've owned the modren ones but really prefer the rendering of older ones from the 1960s...and they're quite inexpensive, so owning them all isn't a financial burden. I'd also mention in the 75, I really like the Voigtlander, a bargain compared to Leica's offering. Best of luck with your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Vinver66

I can not give advice, I like the two fields.

OR

take the two, I think the Summarit-M 75/90 may be the (or half) answer.

If you don't use it (them 75/90) how you know if one of 75/90 (they are very different in use) suits your practice ?

...depending on the M in use, VF 0.85 * would be "better in framing" for the two and more "usable" with 90.

* only choise possible of M6HM, M6TTL or MP,M7

Edited by a.noctilux

53 minutes ago, wda said:

What you say is true for street, but not entirely. One good street photographer uses a 90 most of the time, for his coverage of street situations.

But you are dismissing OP's interest in travel. I used a 90 for capturing architectural and landscape/cityscape details, unreachable effectively, with wider lenses.

I know zero street photographers who are good and using 90. Good street photography is about been close. HCB had 90 in the pocket, but just for rare case. 

Details of something?  I like my M-E 220 for impressive amount of details its sensor gives even at 1:1 enlargement. No need for tele lens. 

Street photography is not entirely about a confrontational style, which I know is popular with some people. I can assure you that 'street' covers a wide range of situations,  some of which you would not choose to be involved. In those cases, a modest telephoto lens is the answer.

This is not the thread to discuss your style, or my style of street photography.  The OP is perfectly able to select which advice is relevant to his needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vinver66 said:

I am grateful for all your input. It is a tricky and devisive subject.

Choosing a lens is very subjective. Ask forum members and there is a considerable risk of receiving conflicting advice.

• Like 1