Help! HP5+ Shot at ISO 125 by Accident

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought I loaded FP4+ @ ISO 125 and unloaded the roll and to my horror saw it was HP5+.  I will use Ilford DD-X.  Should I pull two stops or one using the Massive Development Chart?  I shot with an M3 so I was using a Sekonic 308 and the ISO was set at 125.   The light was Sunny f11 and I used the Sekonic for shade.  

I normally put a piece of the carton in the hotshoe so I don't make this kind of mistake, but not that day.  

Any and all advice appreciated.  

I don't think DD-X will work, but refer to the Massive Dev Chart

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Ilford+HP5%&Developer=&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

and you will see that taking it down to 100 ISO isn't out of this world, but you may need a different developer. If you can't find a combination to use look up HP5 in DD-X and take a 1+9 dilution and improvise from there. Unfortunately DD-X isn't the best developer for increased dilutions to compensate for over exposure, but you may be the guy that did the experiment that works, good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Ilford+HP5%&Developer=&mdc&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

and you will see that taking it down to 100 ISO isn't out of this world, but you may need a different developer. If you can't find a combination to use look up HP5 in DD-X and take a 1+9 dilution and improvise from there. Unfortunately DD-X isn't the best developer for increased dilutions to compensate for over exposure, but you may be the guy that did the experiment that works, good luck.

Thanks, Steve.  Some shots were low contrast (people in full sun) and some were medium contrast.  Since HP5+ has a wide latitude I may develop @ 200 in DD-X (it's all I have) at 1:4 dilution and cut the developing time per the MDC to 5 minutes and use limited agitation.  Maybe one gentle inversion every 60 seconds.  We'll see how it goes.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, RayD28 said:

Any and all advice appreciated.  

Are you wet printing or scanning? Based on my experience wet printing the old HP5 (no plus) two stops overexposure isn't a big deal. Reduce your regular development time with DD-X by 20% and keep everything else the same. You'll be fine. For scanning all bets are off. My experience with scanning HP5 Plus is that it is already at the ragged edge of overexposure at ISO 400. I'd follow the MDC advice for ISO 200 and hope for the best. It least I'd have someone to blame. 😀

Edited by Doug A

10 minutes ago, Doug A said:

Are you wet printing or scanning? Based on my experience wet printing the old HP5 (no plus) two stops overexposure isn't a big deal. Reduce your regular development time with DD-X by 20% and keep everything else the same. You'll be fine. For scanning all bets are off. My experience with scanning HP5 Plus is that it is already at the ragged edge of overexposure at ISO 400. I'd follow the MDC advice for ISO 200 and hope for the best. It least I'd have someone to blame. 😀

Hey, Doug.  Scanning.  I'm sure the Lightroom sliders will be at the extreme ends.

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2021 at 3:57 PM, 250swb said:

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Ilford+HP5%&Developer=&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

On 12/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, Doug A said:

On 12/26/2021 at 4:56 PM, Doug A said:

Been there. Done that. Good luck, and let us know how it works out. 

Develop the film yesterday.  Used Massive Development Chart for HP5+ @200 ISO shaved off 30 seconds using DD-X 1:4.  Slow agitations at the start and two gentle inversions at the intervals.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!