Q2 Monochrom - EVF Turning off too fast

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Q2 Monochrom (updated to 1.1).

The issue that I'm facing (if it is an issue, this will be decided from the guru's in this forum) is that by the moment I remove the EVF from my eye and letting the camera down for 1-2 seconds the EVF turns off. By the time that I want to take the next picture, I have to wait for it to power up again and then focus and then take the shot.

I'm a viewfinder/EVF photographer, never liked shooting from the LCD screen and this really turns down the experience.

Coming from Nikon camera (D500) and never had this kind of issue is really annoying.

My settings are:

Display Settings -> EVF-LCD: EVF Extend

Display Settings ->Eye Sensor Sensitivity: High

Shall I change any of the two? Is there another setting that I'm missing? Is there a way to keep it "Always On"?

Also, some settings that may have to do with the above issue:

Auto Review : Off

Power Saving -> Power Saving Mode: 10s

Power Saving -> Auto power off: 2min

Power Saving -> All displays Auto Off: 1min

Finally, I have read the "Q2 Screen & EVF Cycling On and Off and On" topic that is "almost" similar to mine.. but not quiet enough. Anyway my SD card is: SONY M (SD XC-II) 128GB.

I really hope that this can be fixed somehow, since shooting street really requires fast actions and this only slows the process.

Thanks,

Tassos

3 hours ago, _oneclickaway_ said:

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Q2 Monochrom (updated to 1.1).

The issue that I'm facing (if it is an issue, this will be decided from the guru's in this forum) is that by the moment I remove the EVF from my eye and letting the camera down for 1-2 seconds the EVF turns off. By the time that I want to take the next picture, I have to wait for it to power up again and then focus and then take the shot.

I'm a viewfinder/EVF photographer, never liked shooting from the LCD screen and this really turns down the experience.

Coming from Nikon camera (D500) and never had this kind of issue is really annoying.

My settings are:

Display Settings -> EVF-LCD: EVF Extend

Display Settings ->Eye Sensor Sensitivity: High

Shall I change any of the two? Is there another setting that I'm missing? Is there a way to keep it "Always On"?

Also, some settings that may have to do with the above issue:

Auto Review : Off

Power Saving -> Power Saving Mode: 10s

Power Saving -> Auto power off: 2min

Power Saving -> All displays Auto Off: 1min

Finally, I have read the "Q2 Screen & EVF Cycling On and Off and On" topic that is "almost" similar to mine.. but not quiet enough. Anyway my SD card is: SONY M (SD XC-II) 128GB.

I really hope that this can be fixed somehow, since shooting street really requires fast actions and this only slows the process.

Thanks,

Tassos

Set Power Saving Mode to Off, unless you have issues with battery life.

44 minutes ago, _oneclickaway_ said:

Hey SrMi, thanks for the tip.

I did this but the EVF still goes off once I remove my eye.

Any other suggestions?

The EVF turns off when you remove the eye from the viewfinder, and turns instantly on when placing the viewfinder near the eye. There should be no delay.

That is the desired behavior, isn't it?

• Thanks 1

Power saving 10s is extremely short. Set all values to two minutes. And make it a habit to tap the shutter button before you lift the camera, even as soon as  you see a photographic situation developing. The camera will be awake by the time you put it to your eye.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Power saving 10s is extremely short. Set all values to two minutes. And make it a habit to tap the shutter button before you lift the camera, even as soon as  you see a photographic situation developing. The camera will be awake by the time you put it to your eye.

Thanks Jaapv.

it seems like a normal behaviour then. Maybe I am used to dslr style, rather than mirorrless.

I will follow your proposal, and come back to this thread if I need anything more.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

You can also change to EVF Extended which might make a difference.

I do not see a difference in EVF activation whether the mode is Auto or EVF extended (my default). In both cases, the EVF activation is instantaneous of Eye Sensor Sensitivity is set to High. If that is not the case, cleaning eye sensor may help.

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

I do not see a difference in EVF activation whether the mode is Auto or EVF extended (my default). In both cases, the EVF activation is instantaneous of Eye Sensor Sensitivity is set to High. If that is not the case, cleaning eye sensor may help.

Yes thats right, maybe the setting I had :

Power Saving -> Power Saving Mode: 10s

was creating this. It is now changed OFF.