M10D or M10M?!

Yellow_78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, insideline said:

If you want to consider the quality of your future photographs then M10M without any hesitation as what it can produce in "any" light and with  incredibly high ISO's astounding image quality which could mean the difference for you capturing a greater range of wonderful photographs, whereas the M10D is still the 24MP sensor along with the color array. Plus I would think there will be a reasonably good chance Leica will make a run of M11D cameras. Also digital cameras do nothing but depreciate so I am not sure any of them with be especially collector bodies, lenses on the other hand are a different story. 

The M10M is an incredible camera, plus you have your SL2S for great color work with any M lenses you own, so I have to ask since you do have the Sl2S why "wouldn't" you choose the M10M?

Good luck with your decision. 

Bifurcated sensor that runs a line down the middle of photographs and waffle pattern in shadows when straightening an image. A serious design flaw that appeared on both M10M’s I had. Leica is aware and will do nothing about it. Buyer beware. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jplomley said:

Bifurcated sensor that runs a line down the middle of photographs and waffle pattern in shadows when straightening an image. A serious design flaw that appeared on both M10M’s I had. Leica is aware and will do nothing about it. Buyer beware. 

Wow, I am on my 3rd M10M and have not seen that.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 12:54 AM, poli said:

My dream setup was the m10-d with an m10m. I already own the m10-d. Was about to buy an m10m, but decided for a film camera in which I mostly put B&W film. I just don’t like the lcd screen… still hoping for an m10md….

If I were in your shoes I would opt for the m10-d. It is a very versatile camera and feels lovely. And also no slouch in b&w. I believe the lack of rear screen could also boost your creativity. 

good luck with your choice 🙂

Hi!

Thanks for your response 😊

I actually am leaning towards the M10D now as I always really wanted one but will decide once i see them in person!

23 hours ago, insideline said:

The M10M is an incredible camera, plus you have your SL2S for great color work with any M lenses you own, so I have to ask since you do have the Sl2S why "wouldn't" you choose the M10M?

Good luck with your decision. 

This is a good question.

I think it's because I'm worried that after sometime,  I may loose interest in a bnw only camera and then regret not getting the m10D!

22 hours ago, jplomley said:

Really!? Damn... thanks for the heads up.. has anyone else experienced this? I haven't read anything about this elsewhere on my resesrch of this camera. Sorry to hear about your experience but thank you for letting me know!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, Yellow_78 said:

This is a good question.

I think it's because I'm worried that after sometime,  I may loose interest in a bnw only camera and then regret not getting the m10D!

I don’t know why you’re attracted to the D, but the Monochrom serves those who are clear about their b/w photography.  If you have to ask, you’re probably not. 

For me, the benefit of having a Monochrom (both the M9 and M10 versions) primarily is one of workflow and mindset, without color distraction; not because of better IQ than my other color digital bodies.  My prints from both my color and Monochrom bodies are only as good as my abilities. When I use a Monochrom, it’s the only camera I carry. I don’t need to use extremely high ISO, nor print huge/crop more, so those are also not reasons for my getting the M10-M.  

It all comes down to personal needs and preferences.  Nobody can answer that question for you.  Another option is to buy a nice used M Monochrom or M246 and give it a try, without spending nearly as much. Both are extremely capable machines.  

Jeff

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:05 PM, Yellow_78 said:

Hi all,

I am presented with a big dilemma. For the longest time I've wanted to own a digital M without an LCD. The MD262 was very difficult to find a couple years ago on the 2nd hand market. I couldn't source one anywhere no matter where I looked. So my craving for the camera wore thin.

Then more recently, I've started to entertain the idea of shooting bnw on a dedicated body like the M246. Always loved bnw, just scared to pull the trigger because of the $$$!

Now the problem.... all of a sudden I have the opportunity to purchase both a M10D or/and an M10M. Obviously I'm not made of money so can't have both! So help me decide because im having alot of trouble!

I know what they both do. I know the specs. I just can't make a decision because im afraid I'll miss out on the other and feel I made the wrong decision.

Do you guys think one or the other will hold more value in the next couple years? For those that own either could you please share your thoughts, thanks guys!

I don't think it is a hard choice at all. If you want to take B&W photographs get the M10M, otherwise any other (colour) camera. Remember - you are buying a camera because it is a tool  to make the photographs you want to take.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:05 PM, Yellow_78 said:

Hi all,

I am presented with a big dilemma. For the longest time I've wanted to own a digital M without an LCD. The MD262 was very difficult to find a couple years ago on the 2nd hand market. I couldn't source one anywhere no matter where I looked. So my craving for the camera wore thin.

Then more recently, I've started to entertain the idea of shooting bnw on a dedicated body like the M246. Always loved bnw, just scared to pull the trigger because of the $$$!

Now the problem.... all of a sudden I have the opportunity to purchase both a M10D or/and an M10M. Obviously I'm not made of money so can't have both! So help me decide because im having alot of trouble!

I know what they both do. I know the specs. I just can't make a decision because im afraid I'll miss out on the other and feel I made the wrong decision.

Do you guys think one or the other will hold more value in the next couple years? For those that own either could you please share your thoughts, thanks guys!

I don't think it is a hard choice at all. If you want to take B&W photographs get the M10M, otherwise any other (colour) camera. Remember - you are buying a camera because it is a tool  to make the photographs you want to take. Nor should resale value be a consideration. If you want to make money buy and sell potatoes.

Difficult question, pragmatic answer: I have the M10-D and I really love it a lot. It is always a pleasure to use it. For b/w only I have the "old" Monochrom I which still is really a wonderful tool to take photos. But the most difficult part for you would be to find a M10-D. They are difficult to find.

• Like 2

I know it’s not the purist approach, but if wanting a day out with an M10D but not being able to find one, can one not cover over the LCD screen? There must be a range of options for suitable materials, some methods could be employed that are hard to remove so you get some sense of ‘burning your ships’ before heading out. And one could even leave the ISO indicator or whatever uncovered. I know it’s not the same as a real D, but it gives an option to those who maybe only have one camera to do it all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Prime said:

I know it’s not the purist approach, but if wanting a day out with an M10D but not being able to find one, can one not cover over the LCD screen? There must be a range of options for suitable materials, some methods could be employed that are hard to remove so you get some sense of ‘burning your ships’ before heading out. And one could even leave the ISO indicator or whatever uncovered. I know it’s not the same as a real D, but it gives an option to those who maybe only have one camera to do it all.

Or couldn’t you just take an M10-P and take sandpaper to the screen?! 😉 After connecting the app to the camera of course.

• Haha 1

Hiding the LCD is so easy that I wonder why so many people doesn't do it 😉,

better yet some more clever users just don't use the LCD at all.

As 'old user' of LCDless digital M, I can say more than that, not to convince anyone.

In my use (M-D 262) has nicer grip at rear.

The M-D has some features to outdo the lack of settings (by buttons+LCD), like the function top button which can tell

- the battery %,

- remaining 'frames',

- set time/date (not easy I agree).

more

- nice film-M like ISO at rear to be seen all the time

- not so clever, after each picture taken, the remaining number shows up in VF

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jplomley said:

Curious, why are you on your third M10M?

I have happily shot with M bodies for 48 years but without getting too personal, I suffered a severe spinal cord injury which has meant very compromised arms so there have been times since the M10M launch where my ability to safely hold an M body greatly varied even with a small lens mounted was questionable hence the buy and sell. Now that I have acquired my third M10M body and with some very nice help from friends were able to build a set up with a thumbs up, a special strap and special eye piece which allows me to shoot with one handed which has been far better than no shooting at all.

Even with it being solely a B&W only camera I find it incredibly special due to its simply amazing and at times astonishing photographs. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, insideline said:

I have happily shot with M bodies for 48 years but without getting too personal, I suffered a severe spinal cord injury which has meant very compromised arms so there have been times since the M10M launch where my ability to safely hold an M body greatly varied even with a small lens mounted was questionable hence the buy and sell. Now that I have acquired my third M10M body and with some very nice help from friends were able to build a set up with a thumbs up, a special strap and special eye piece which allows me to shoot with one handed which has been far better than no shooting at all.

Even with it being solely a B&W only camera I find it incredibly special due to its simply amazing and at times astonishing photographs. 

Kudos. Hope you’ve been able to hang on to the fine vintage M lenses listed in your profile.  Selling and repurchasing some of those…including 35AA… would be an expensive proposition.

Jeff

On 12/24/2021 at 5:54 AM, poli said:

My dream setup was the m10-d with an m10m. I already own the m10-d. Was about to buy an m10m, but decided for a film camera in which I mostly put B&W film. I just don’t like the lcd screen… still hoping for an m10md….

This is the setup that I use (an M10D and M10M) and am very happy with this setup. I have no desire to upgrade to an M11. Now if a screen-less M10M was released... I should add that I also use a film MP on occasion.

Erik

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Kudos. Hope you’ve been able to hang on to the fine vintage M lenses listed in your profile.  Selling and repurchasing some of those…including 35AA… would be an expensive proposition.

Jeff

Yes I have thank you for asking. I recently sold a few items IE later F1 Noctilux's etc for their larger size but none of those listed in my profile as you are very correct, I would never be able to purchase them again. I had no idea what the 35AA would be worth today when I purchased it in 1991, and if I had possibly I would not have used and enjoyed it nearly as much!

• Like 1

the idea of M10D is really good. it is a "digital" camera for anyone loves the era of film / analogue.

But for me, if you want to learn shooting without chimping, just buy M6 or MPor MA and enjoy all the experience (think, shoot, limited source (24 or 36), process, and surprise (good or bad) for the results.

just like food... fusion food is always tastes... Wrong

• Like 1

I got the perfect solution here. Get the M10M and put the below Leica Leather Protector on it. Best of both worlds. Add a thumbs up, and never drop the protective flap to see the screen, and you have a M10DM!! ;)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312218-REG/leica_24020_m10_leather_protector_black.html

• Like 1

I vote for the M10M and that’s not only because that’s what I chose, but you can cover the screen and practice discipline to turn it into the D but no way is the other way around possible. Also the tones and visual depth of the M is a major plus (less so the pixel count, don’t care entirely for that).

I didn’t super seriously consider the D in the end but I did put a lot of thought about how it’d fit with me since it came out as a hypothetical. I came to the theoretical conclusion that I’d love it as a supplemental M but not as a singular M. The Monochrom camera is just as niche as the D so that didn’t hold me back, just that the niche called out to me quite strongly.

If you bought both models separately as a singular purchase, holding which one theoretically of course would make you wonder more about the “what is shooting like with the other”? Whichever scratches the intuition itch for what the heart naturally is gravitating to, that wins!

Kind of like assigning each model a side of the coin, while it’s in midair which side are you wishing it lands on, before it hits the ground? That is your heart talking.

• Like 2