Good buy?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Marac said:

Enjoy it Dan, great camera but it must be treated like a vintage Jag, take it out at weekeends, clean it & put it back until next weekend.

Both my M9M (new sensor) and my M9 ( replaced cover glass on old sensor) are both under 6k actuations and, 'touch wood' have been excellent, you'll love it.

I disagree, I have 3 all of them with 2nd gen replacement documented. I use 1 as my EDC with a 35 Summicron on it the other 2 I take when out on general photography outings one with 21mm the other with 75mm. I bought them to be usedfor what they were intended for not just for special outings.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Topsy said:

I disagree......I bought them to be used for what they were intended for not just for special outings...

Yup.

I bought mine used with around 4,000 clicks. It was used as a 'daily-driver' being grabbed quite literally every time I left the house and - sensor replacement excepted - by the time I let it go three years later it had reached 77k without a hicough.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, pippy said:

It was used as a 'daily-driver' being grabbed quite literally every time I left the house and - sensor replacement excepted - by the time I let it go three years later it had reached 77k without a hicough.

Mine are still in use (although the back up has hardly been used). Both have repalcemnt sensors, and batteries are up to 13 years old and still functioning acceptably. If you are a low ISO shooter and satisfied that 18MPixels is adequate for youe requirements, the M9 is as good as anything and better than most. Files are flexible and 'editing noise' is pleasanter than many. Mine will be used until they cease functioning and owe me nothing at this stage. No idea how many shots mine have taken as I can't really be bothered to check - its meaningless as long as they are functioning.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, pgk said:

No idea how many shots mine have taken as I can't really be bothered to check - its meaningless as long as they are functioning.

I'm the same, no idea how many shots and not bothered to find out. As long as they keep working I'm happy. As I said before finding good ones these days with certified 2nd gen replaced sensors is getting harder I just hope my 3 outlast me.

• Like 4

Off-topic a bit but regarding shutter actuations...

I didn't know my shutter-count either but when I was trading-in my M9-P the dealership as a matter for accurate sales-description checked it out - and couldn't believe the figure noted. The body was in such good condition - there was really practically no brassing nor signs of much use at all - that they checked the actuations for a second time to confirm the initial reading. Which it did. The Big Boss Man turned and asked me; '77,000! Does that sound right???....'

I've mentioned the following in a different thread; my M8.2 had started to brass in a subtle way - very fine lines appearing on almost all top-plate edges where in contach with hands/fingers etc. visible through the, by then, very shiny Black Paint finish. The base-plate had relatively much more evident brassing along the whole of the base perimiter. The funny thing is that when it was 'lost' back at Wetzlar it had been 'clicked' (going by file numbers) fewer than 20,000 times yet the finish had 'aged' much much more. I didn't treat the M9 any differently than I treated the M8 yet the black lacquer used to paint the 9 seemed to be made from (perhaps) a much more durable chemical composition than that of the earlier camera.

My current Black Lacquer M-D Typ-262 seems to have a finish very similar to that of the M9; still slightly matt-finish with a truly tiny amount of brassing notwithstanding it's been used most days since I bought it back in 2019.

No idea of shutter-count on that one either...

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I got a lens and the M9 - but failed to get the required adaptor... will have to wait a bit longer

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dancook said:

Well I got a lens and the M9 - but failed to get the required adaptor... will have to wait a bit longer

Enjoy it! I still use my M9 quite a bit, after Leica replaced the sensor with the new one (after 7 years, for free). The Nikkor is also a nice lens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Enjoy it! I still use my M9 quite a bit, after Leica replaced the sensor with the new one (after 7 years, for free). The Nikkor is also a nice lens.

the Nikkor was a lot smaller than I imagined, as I unboxed it - running out of bubble wrap, is there anything here?

Can't wait to try it out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

LTM to M is far easier to find than Contax to M.

Don't use the cheap (and flawed dimension/metal/etc.) no name

but please find Leitz or Voigtlander (with luck in new for this latter).

already ordered an 'Urth' one - haven't seen anything bad about them

Congrats Dan

Got my M9p in pretty mint nick, 5000 shots (now about 40k), new sensor (in July 2017) back in November 2017 and I’ve never been tempted to flip it (despite many other cameras going in the interim)

The m9 look isn’t for everyone (probably is in this forum!!) and some folks find it garish but frankly every camera I’ve ever had turns out a variety of different looking shots in different conditions and operator (ok my) competency for those different conditions, and the m9 shots I love, I love dearly

• Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 5:19 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

All of those sensor Id is nothing but rumours.

If seller has no any other evidence than words, you might try to contact Leica.

But most in it are loaded with schnapps by now until after NY.

I had mine replaced in 2018 via dealer. All I got in return was Leica ziplock bag and dealer notes. But no paperwork from Leica.

You have judge by the price if it is good buy or not. I don’t think any M9 is worth of 3K usd now, but something around 2.5k usd for with replaced sensor, no damages and not in 50k of taken exposures.

For same money you could get m240 which is much more refined camera with regular sensor.

You could get Jupiter-12 as very cheap 35mm lens and they are very easy to get then spot on with RF. They are sharp and have less distortion than some Leica lenses.

I purchased a used M9 with a sensor ID15 a few years ago. No corrosion on the sensor. When I put it up for sale, I emailed Leica asking for confirmation that the sensor was replaced. That was about 3-4 months ago. I still haven't heard back from them. I assume that a lot of office folks are working from home due to Covid.

1 hour ago, 84bravo said:

I purchased a used M9 with a sensor ID15 a few years ago. No corrosion on the sensor. When I put it up for sale, I emailed Leica asking for confirmation that the sensor was replaced. That was about 3-4 months ago. I still haven't heard back from them. I assume that a lot of office folks are working from home due to Covid.

"Working" to be exact. I'm working from home while not on site and receive emails even at my phone. 

I guess my working attitude and our company IT capabilities are slightly above this LCAG thing.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...