Good buy?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://www.ffordes.com/p/SH-42-046819/leica/m9-steel-grey-body-only

just started my search for an M9

this had replacement sensor in 2017 and has 25k shutter

Worth it?

There’s a black one on eBay but has a crack in the corner of lcd screen and 50k actuations.

On eBay also a Couple of grey ones that I don’t seem like safe purchases.

Edited by dancook

6 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Sensor replacement date is somewhat ambiguous, does 06/17 mean 17th June this year or June 2017? My guess the latter which may be same corrosion prone sensor.

June 2017, so it’s no guarantee it’s sensor free from potential corrosion issues?

just found another thread says corrosion free sensor replaced from 2015

Edited by dancook

2 minutes ago, dancook said:

June 2017, so it’s no guarantee it’s sensor free from potential corrosion issues?

I would first determine if you would be getting camera with original sensor replacement or modified version, if former I would pass as chances are it would eventually corrode and you would be holding camera with unreparable sensor.

If you dig on M9 section there were recent posts about servicing sensors by third parties, Leica does not provide sensor replacement any more.

1 minute ago, mmradman said:

I would first determine if you would be getting camera with original sensor replacement or modified version, if former I would pass as chances are it would eventually corrode and you would be holding camera with unreparable sensor.

If you dig on M9 section there were recent posts about servicing sensors by third parties, Leica does not provide sensor replacement any more.

I will ask for the id of the replaced sensor, I understand 15/16 is what I’m after

I'd not buy M9 now at any price.

I do have one M9 (grey since 2010) and will never sell as respect to next user.

M9 ages 'well', but so many things can not be economically repairable in future.

I can say that M9 served me well, however M9 as classic CCD sensor is a myth for me.

I'd search for newer M240 family that I use without flaw for many years.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I'd not buy M9 now at any price.

I do have one M9 (grey since 2010) and will never sell as respect to next user.

M9 ages 'well', but so many things can not be economically repairable in future.

I can say that M9 served me well, however M9 as classic CCD sensor is a myth for me.

I'd search for newer M240 family that I use without flaw for many years.

I can scratch the itch and sell without real loss if i don’t gel with it.

going to pick up a nikkor H C 50/2 Ltm, keep it cheap

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

Hi, Dancook, you might check the post at 

Mine was 15, I bought it in 2019 Jan, the owner told me it was replaced some time in middle of 2017. So far it works very well. just be careful to store it in DRY place when it is not in use. Hope the info helps and good luck! 

Edited by surfmanjoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, surfmanjoe said:

Hi, Dancook, you might check the post at 

Mine was 15, I bought it in 2019 Jan, the owner told me it was replaced some time in middle of 2017. So far it works very well. just be careful to store it in DRY place when it is not in use. Hope the info helps and good luck! 

Thanks for the info!

All of those sensor Id is nothing but rumours.

If seller has no any other evidence than words, you might try to contact Leica.

But most in it are loaded with schnapps by now until after NY.

I had mine replaced in 2018 via dealer. All I got in return was Leica ziplock bag and dealer notes. But no paperwork from Leica.

You have judge by the price if it is good buy or not. I don’t think any M9 is worth of 3K usd now, but something around 2.5k usd for with replaced sensor, no damages and not in 50k of taken exposures.

For same money you could get m240 which is much more refined camera with regular sensor.

You could get Jupiter-12 as very cheap 35mm lens and they are very easy to get then spot on with RF. They are sharp and have less distortion than some Leica lenses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mmradman said:

Sensor replacement date is somewhat ambiguous, does 06/17 mean 17th June this year or June 2017? My guess the latter which may be same corrosion prone sensor.

It can’t be this year as they stopped replacing sensors a while ago. A replacement in June 2017 would mean it’s the newer sensor and is not prone to corrosion.

It seems like a good deal from a reputable dealer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dancook said:

No, it’s good! :)

You will probably get the paperwork from Leica but if it’s not available you can email Leica customer support with the serial number of the body and they will confirm or not that the sensor has been replaced. But honestly, you can trust Ffordes, they have a good reputation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, surfmanjoe said:

I would agree with Ko. Fe. that there is no guarantee that an ID won't be corrosive in the future. Even Leican, in my opinion, can not promise.

It should be good as long as you can verify with Leica that the camera was serviced and a new CCD was installed.

Well I bought it, I did email to ask but I can find out for definite when I receive it and I have 7 days in which I can reject it for refund if it’s not right

• Like 1

Enjoy it Dan, great camera but it must be treated like a vintage Jag, take it out at weekeends, clean it & put it back until next weekend.

Both my M9M (new sensor) and my M9 ( replaced cover glass on old sensor) are both under 6k actuations and, 'touch wood' have been excellent, you'll love it.

10 hours ago, surfmanjoe said:

I would agree with Ko. Fe. that there is no guarantee that an ID won't be corrosive in the future...

Can we PLEASE stick to stating facts and not nonsense? Nonsense helps no-one.

The new sensors were made available in September 2015;

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249569-leica-m9-corrosion-sensor-replacement-starts-now/

In the 6+ years since the new sensor was released there has never been even one single case of sensor corrosion reported. The new sensors do not corrode. If they did then mention of it would be plastered all over the internet.

Ffordes, as Ian has already stressed, is a highly respected, reputable dealership. If they say the sensor was replaced in 2017 then it was replaced in 2017.

If you discover that you need one then new batteries for the Leica M8 / M9 cameras are still available. Here in the UK they can be bought from, as an example, Red Dot in London;

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/other-m-items/3398-leica-battery-for-m8-9.html

Enjoy your new camera; M9's are wonderful things.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, dancook said:

Well I bought it, I did email to ask but I can find out for definite when I receive it and I have 7 days in which I can reject it for refund if it’s not right

Congratulations! It’s a great camera! The advice about getting an extra battery is good. I still use the same battery that came with it new over 12 years ago, but I’ve got a backup just in case.

• Like 3