Leica S 70mm f2.5 Summarit-S Asph Lens vs S 70mm 2.5 CS Lens

rollsman4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know there is a Big difference in price. I dont need to use anything more than 1/125 sec.  As far as Image quality can you tell me the pros and Cons of both lenses.  Thanks 

I am about to get a S 007 Body and want that lens to go with it.  Thanks   Dennis

I would add that the 70CS was by far (of two lenses) the lens that I most used on the S 2 and then S (Typ 007) over several years.
I had  mainly used a higher sync speed 1/180th out of habit (in studio). It wasn't actually necessary for the way I used the S camera.

In any case after maybe 40 000 exposures the AF motor fault in earlier production lenses occurred. Fixed for free. Then the Central Shutter failed a few months later. I had to pay for that repair. Then a couple of months later the Central Shutter failed again. That was repaired under the warranty of the first Central Shutter repair.
Were I using that system now, for the way that I shot with it, I would not buy a Central Shutter version of an S lens again

Edited by hoppyman
typos

On 12/30/2021 at 4:41 PM, Pieter12 said:

Not being familiar with the mechanics of the CS lenses, I gather when the CS fails, it does not fail-safe allowing the use of the focal plane shutter? Seems like a major design flaw.

Hi Pieter. The selection of which shutter is used is done on the camera body. However, from memory after CS fail the lens ( as it communicates with the body) was not usable at all.

It’s worth noting that I was not aware of a single other reported instance of a second CS failure when mine happened. The failures may have been more likely ( although well below the predicted Mean Time Between Failure number) due to the way that I used the system. In studio I typically shoot very rapid series of exposures and maybe a thousand over four hours. I never saw another fault, using the FP shutter only, after the third repair of that lens.

• Like 1

Also remember that the CS lenses were essentially made for studio lighting.  Today’s flashes typically have an HSS mode that works with the focal plane shutters in high speeds.  I have the Leica 64 flash and it works great with faster shutter speeds.  You don’t need the CS functionality unless you are doing studio work with strobe lights and the like.  IMHO.

6 hours ago, John McMaster said:

CS is primarily for fill in flash outdoors, eg so you can use wider apertures and still balance exposure.  In a studio the flash is usually shorter exposure than any shutter and the studio is often dark.

john

There's information about the CS lenses here (near the bottom, after the 30-90mm write-up): http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/the-definitive-guide-to-leica-s-lenses/ 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, davidmknoble said:

Also remember that the CS lenses were essentially made for studio lighting.  

The Central Shutter is unnecessary in studio. If it’s too much of ambient you close your windows. 🙂

On 2/1/2022 at 11:15 PM, ynp said:

The Central Shutter is unnecessary in studio. If it’s too much of ambient you close your windows. 🙂

The idea is depth of field.  Like essentially all manual shutters, the fastest synch sheet for flash light is 1/125.  The fastest synch speed with a central shutter is 1/1000.  So, you have 3 stops more that you can open the lens, hence less depth of field.  In studio lighting, the typical strobes require that kind of shutter speed synch.  If you are using a flash with HSS, the central shutter isn’t necessary.  Also, studio lighting typically has multiple sources with some for main lighting and some for fill.

So, CS is for non HSS lighting to get faster shutter speeds and less depth of field that is easily accomplished with an HSS Flash in the field.

57 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

The idea is depth of field.  Like essentially all manual shutters, the fastest synch sheet for flash light is 1/125.  The fastest synch speed with a central shutter is 1/1000.  So, you have 3 stops more that you can open the lens, hence less depth of field.  In studio lighting, the typical strobes require that kind of shutter speed synch.  If you are using a flash with HSS, the central shutter isn’t necessary.  Also, studio lighting typically has multiple sources with some for main lighting and some for fill.

Hi, I am not sure that I am following you. Yes , the sync speed for medium format cameras is around 1/125, if there is no central shutter. And central shutter will give you at least 1/500 with not too expensive strobes. I understand this logics. I just do not agree that “the typical strobes require that kind of speed synch”. Any strobe will freeze the movement and the shutter speed of the camera will be just irrelevant, you just don’t allow the light pollution from the ambient and do not “drag the shutter”. You use your f stop (aperture) to make a correct exposure, not the shutter speed  

Of course, if you wish you can enjoy your shallow depth of field when shooting in studio with the strobes. The better strobes allow a wide range of F stops and modifiers can kill the light very efficiently. Is was a bit easier several years back, when the lowest ISO on the camera was 25. But In studio, with the modern cameras , it’s possible to shoot for shallow DoF with just modelling lights. 
As far as I am concerned, I don’t see any reason to use HSS in studio. Nor have I ever needed the TTL. 

The HSS is useful outside, I agree with you, and it’s a shame that Leica cameras are not supported by the mainstream strobe and flash manufacturers. 

yevgeny

Edited by ynp
Spelling and grammar)