Fix-it-yourself ? (help)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nothing better for Christmas that adding one to my collection of Summaron 3,5 variants  😊 ... and a not so trivial one : the M3 version with glossy paint goggles (so I have now 2 of the 3 goggled variants...  let some time to pass and... 😎)

Arrived today... focus OK, glass clean... ... but probably CLEANED by the dealer... who remounted the lens group in wrong position... 🙄 around 90° clockwise...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I dislike the idea of another trip... I think it ought to be rather easy to reposition correctly... not a complex built... probably the whole front group can be removed from the focusing base unscrewing the inner black ring (see the two red arrows) and maybe the 3 screws : no sort of special tools.. I can do with my normal set...

there are so many experts over here... can someone advise me if is really a feasible do it yourself task ? Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas to all !

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Hi Luigi, sorry, I never had to dismount this kind of lens.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

(so I have now 2 of the 3 goggled variants...  let some time to pass and... 😎)

The Summilux 1.4, the Summicron 2, the Summaron 2.8, the Summaron 3.5 Glossy and mat so they are 5 ...

13 minutes ago, jc_braconi said:

Hi Luigi, sorry, I never had to dismount this kind of lens.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

(so I have now 2 of the 3 goggled variants...  let some time to pass and... 😎)

The Summilux 1.4, the Summicron 2, the Summaron 2.8, the Summaron 3.5 Glossy and mat so they are 5 ...

Hi JC, and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

(I did refer indeed to  the 3 variants of the goggled Summaron 3,5 only  😉  . have no other goggled 35 nor I plan to have...)

Luigi, the 35mm f2.8 Summaron RF is covered in detail in Thomas Tomosy's "Leica Camera Repair Handbook" on page 73.  I would assume the 3.5 and the 2.8 are similar in construction. "The lens:  Remove the RF Unit.  Remove the retaining ring from the back of the lens, and pull out the optical assembly from the focusing barrel."  PM me if you would like more information.

• Thanks 1

Well... maybe to define it as a "variant" is excessive... but apart the glossy, haven't you ever noted that the "usual" crackle paint version can be found with both these front writings ? 😉  (and I think same is for the LTM E39...)

(sorry for deleting the s/n ... but to be quick I took two pictures taken from dealers time ago...)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

it is not complicated Luigi, you need to loosen tha black ring. Here is a photo of one that I had in repair (I had to remove as well the front element for cleaning). If you remove the ring you may pull off the whole optic. Do not remove the 3 screws - this you will need if you want to dismantle helicoid/focusing mount

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jerzy said:

it is not complicated Luigi, you need to loosen tha black ring. Here is a photo of one that I had in repair (I had to remove as well the front element for cleaning). If you remove the ring you may pull off the whole optic. Do not remove the 3 screws - this you will need if you want to dismantle helicoid/focusing mount

Thanks Jerzy !! Looks a not difficult task... what about the angular re-positioning of the lenshead ? is it "free-at sight" or there is some sort of index or engaging mechanism or similar ? Are there metal shims in the middle or it's simply surface-to-surface ? 

sorry for late reply. maybe you are done anyhow with it 🙂

No, there are no markings nor index for positioning, you do it as your wrote, at sight. In the instances when I had to dismantle M Summaron 3,5 there were no shims inside. In your case it will be just enough to loosen the ring, reposition and fasten, you do not need to take the optics out

needles to write, but anyhow... when repositioning optics take orientation in aperture numbers/dot. If you want to have it perfect and have as well "Summicron...etc" positioned nicely then loose the ring marked, rotate the ring with engravings and fasten  again. You might need rubber to loosen/fasten this ring. Good luck and Mery Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quick and easy !! Thanks again ... now diaph ring and front writing look fine 😎

• Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, luigi bertolotti said:

Well... maybe to define it as a "variant" is excessive... but apart the glossy, haven't you ever noted that the "usual" crackle paint version can be found with both these front writings ? 😉  (and I think same is for the LTM E39...)

(sorry for deleting the s/n ... but to be quick I took two pictures taken from dealers time ago...)

OK I understand what you mean, it's a variety done around 1958 and also for the M without goggles.