Leica would like to make a CL2 But..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

.... Moving focus point via directional pads does not seem likely to me.

Well, let´s just say this likelihood depends greatly on the convexity of the particular user....  It happens to me all the time, for some reason!  😜  (I prefer having my camera on a strap around my neck, solidly resting upon my accumulated embonpoint....).

And, I´ve experienced that problem with another camera that I simply had to give up trying to use.  Once I found out, at my trusted dealer´s, that the present CL did have the same flaw, I had to walk away without a new camera (not an easy thing to do!).

Edited by elgenper
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, elgenper said:

Well, let´s just say this likelihood depends greatly on the convexity of the particular user....  It happens to me all the time, for some reason!  😜  (I prefer having my camera on a strap around my neck, solidly resting upon my accumulated embonpoint....).

Then, presumably your problem won’t go away, unless you turn your camera off?

1 minute ago, IkarusJohn said:

Then, presumably your problem won’t go away, unless you turn your camera off?

Indeed... (my wife keeps suggesting another radical remedy, which I find quite unrealistic...😏).  And, turning the camera off isn´t a good method to keep ready for a quick shot.

49 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

If you have statistical data to support “most” let’s see it.

Even if I had it, it would not solve your issue. I suggest starting an email campaign to Leica, explaining the issue and requesting a fix.

42 minutes ago, elgenper said:

Indeed... (my wife keeps suggesting another radical remedy, which I find quite unrealistic...😏).  And, turning the camera off isn´t a good method to keep ready for a quick shot.

And posting here solves the problem?  Surely the best solution is to find a way to work with what you have.  You have a camera you otherwise love; and you have a preferred way of carrying your camera.  The combination doesn’t work for you.  Your existing camera is unlikely to change, it seems …

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Even if I had it, it would not solve your issue. I suggest starting an email campaign to Leica, explaining the issue and requesting a fix.

That request went in 3 years ago, and as others have noted with frustration, Leica has done nothing…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m curious - is there a single AF camera which doesn’t have a focal point controller on the back?  

Sorry to prolong this discussion, but just about every camera I have owned has had a feature I didn’t like - the otherwise almost perfect X1D II heated up like a microwave if I carried it turned on (its AF operated all the time, till I worked out how to stop it); the M film cameras don’t have a shutter lock linked to the film advance lever (a Nikon feature); the 24-90 SL zoom unwinds, extending the lens as I carry it, and on and on it goes.

Surely every camera has a work around.  I seem to recall that with the SL, or perhaps it was the T, some wanted the focal point to default to the centre when you turned it off, others didn’t … life is too short!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

I noted it as a required improvement in the recent customer survey .... you know the one , that survey that had to mention of the TL/CL system.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:24 AM, elgenper said:

Agreed...  The one and only thing that keeps me from getting a CL is that infernal moving focus point!  This is an absolute deal breaker for me (bought a Panasonic model with the same flaw some years ago, and had to sell it after a few months).  Wildly hoping for either a FW update for the CL (seems unlikely), or a CL2 with this fixed (not very likely either; they seem to be totally stubborn on this, and just will NOT move their point....🤪).

I use EVF Extended mode: solves your nose grazing the touch screen and moving the focus point, and saves battery.  One of the strengths of the CL is the viewfinder.  I only use the screen for menus and sometimes playback.  Sometimes for playback, because it's really slick to playback with your eye on the viewfinder!  I always feel like a chump reviewing each shot on the screen anyway:)

I use EVF Extended, have disabled Touch Screen, and shoot with my right eye. The focus square still moves due to the 4-way controller. Surely Leica could enable a software switch that has the controller disabled while using EVF, and only becomes “live” when you press one of the three buttons to the left of the LCD. The controller would be disabled again once you touched the shutter button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I would disagree strongly that the 4-way controller does not move the focus square. I constantly have to check and adjust as the camera bounces against my chest as I’m walking. It does this with both my CL and Q2. I know for sure that I’m not the only one with this problem as it crops up on multiple forums on at least two sites.

Congrats on the Q2!!  Know you were thinking about it!  XMAS?

1 hour ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

Congrats on the Q2!!  Know you were thinking about it!  XMAS?

Yes! The UI is very similar, but it will take a while before it feels intuitive and can just see the shot before I bring up the camera. After 3 years with the CL (which I'm keeping) I felt I could do that.

Interesting reading... I've not carried a camera around my neck on a neck strap for several decades. I usually put a strap on when I want to wear it bandolier style, or wrap the strap around my wrist, or fit a wrist strap, or use no strap. Having the camera bouncing on my chest as I walk (I've reduced the size of my belly so that is no longer an issue ... 80 miles a week on the bicycle has that effect ... :) ) is very uncomfortable to me. Usually, my camera is in a satchel or sling bag that I swing around to pull out the camera and make a shot, or it's in my hand. 

G

• Like 2

Returning to the original topic of availability of APS-C sensors, some have suggested that Leica might someday produce a CL-ish camera with a FF sensor. That would be great, if it were not for the fact that TL lenses, of which I have several, could not make use of the full sensor. And to mount massive SL lenses on the camera almost defeats the whole point of a compact, lightweight camera body. The only acceptable compromise that I can see is for the FF sensor to have 50-60MP. That way, even in crop mode with TL lenses, there would be sufficient resolution to satisfy the vast majority of current CL users. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what’s it’s worth, + 1 in the wandering focus point aggravation camp! The problem usually arises when I wind my rope strap several times around my right wrist as a rudimentary wrist strap. Due to the additional bulk it always seems to interfere with the D-pad, especially in portrait orientation. Annoying.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jcalchi said:

I use EVF Extended mode: solves your nose grazing the touch screen and moving the focus point, and saves battery.  One of the strengths of the CL is the viewfinder.  I only use the screen for menus and sometimes playback.  Sometimes for playback, because it's really slick to playback with your eye on the viewfinder!  I always feel like a chump reviewing each shot on the screen anyway:)

Actually the point is that it does move…. :lol: