Shutter won't fire: R4S and R5

kbleicher

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I inherited a R4S and R5.  I'm sure they haven't been used in ages.

I'm trying to fire the shutter to test them out.  They both seem perfectly fine in terms of electronics, metering, battery, etc.  I'm also testing using 3-cam and 4-lenses.

In both cases:  They'll only fire on Bulb.  At any other setting they won't shoot unless I retry at bulb.  Yes, I make sure they're wound, and there aren't any obstructions in the film area (neither are loaded with film; I don't want to waste it if there's a problem).  

The self-timer will quickly flash, then slowly, as if it's going to fire, but then... nothing.  

I've swapped lenses, program modes, speed, aperture... just about everything.   Neither is attached to a winder / motor drive.

I'm not sure why they're both fine on Bulb but not at any other speed.  I read a lot about gunky lubrication over time, but I'm kinda ruling that out since Bulb is fine (fair?).

The mirror is fine; it's not locking into an intermediate position..

Do they only work if they're loaded with film?  I don't see anything mechanical that would force this, but who knows?