Focusing on MP body with adjusted Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

I just got my Leica MP and since I had already owned Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 lens I bought an adapter to adjust it to M mount. Everything fits nicely but as I noticed the focusing does not work using the metering field. The image in the metering field does not move when turning the focusing ring. 

Am I doing something wrong or there is a focusing method I am not aware of? 

Thank you, appreciate your help. 

Hello,

film Leica MP must use so called RF coupling lens to focus with the rangefinder (= RF).

Your 58mm lens is not RF coupling type, so you can not use the RF on your MP.

Having hundreds of different M coupled lenses to choose for your MP, don't bother with your 1.4/58mm + adapter.

One of those like here (link) must be used in Voigtlander and so many to choose from Leica "M" lenses/Zeiss ZM/many more.

You can still use it with zone/scale focusing or an external range finder, but good luck shooting it wide open without missing focus every time. I agree with @a.noctilux that it's not really worth it. Get a nice 50mm M mount lens. If you want a brand new one, there are nice Voigtlander and Zeiss 50mm M-mount lenses that are relatively inexpensive, and even a brand new Leica 50mm Summicron is the cheapest M-mount lens Leica sells brand new. And of course, on the used market, 50mm is probably the most common focal length for M mount lenses.

• Like 1